Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM

185 posts, read 318,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hope you're happy in Tampa, but by your standards, it practically has no skyline whatsoever, LOL.
Sounds like a nerve was struck ...must be one of the few Charlotte natives out there perhaps.

Didn't know i was relocating to the Tampa area for the "skyline" .....
assine is the way you put it, indeed. I didn't complain about the precious Charlotte "skyline", my blink and you will miss it statement is based on the fact that riding up or even down 77, it takes all of 1 minute to pass by Uptown Charlotte, hence blink and miss it. Heck the time isn't too much longer riding on 277. Its not a dis just an observation, not to mention you pretty much captured the majority of Charlotte's "skyline"in ONE picture.

Perhaps you may want to make that trip to the ophthalmologist because my vision is better than fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
I didn't complain about the precious Charlotte "skyline", my blink and you will miss it statement is based on the fact that riding up or even down 77, it takes all of 1 minute to pass by Uptown Charlotte, hence blink and miss it. Heck the time isn't too much longer riding on 277. Its not a dis just an observation, not to mention you pretty much captured the majority of Charlotte's "skyline"in ONE picture.
Atlanta has an imposing skyline, one that continues from downtown up into Midtown. Then there's another skyline at Buckhead and another one at Perimeter, where 285 and 400 come together.

I guess I got in trouble, too, because I called Charlotte bland. If, in a few days, you don't get a good "vibe," then why pursue job opportunities in a city?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachInTheCity View Post
Sounds like a nerve was struck ...must be one of the few Charlotte natives out there perhaps.
Nope.

Quote:
Didn't know i was relocating to the Tampa area for the "skyline" .....
I never said you were.

Quote:
assine is the way you put it, indeed. I didn't complain about the precious Charlotte "skyline", my blink and you will miss it statement is based on the fact that riding up or even down 77, it takes all of 1 minute to pass by Uptown Charlotte, hence blink and miss it. Heck the time isn't too much longer riding on 277. Its not a dis just an observation, not to mention you pretty much captured the majority of Charlotte's "skyline"in ONE picture.
Uhhh, this is the case for many centralized skylines, even for those larger than Charlotte's. Atlanta's is predominantly linear and is somewhat unique in that regard.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nope.

I never said you were.

Uhhh, this is the case for many centralized skylines, even for those larger than Charlotte's. Atlanta's is predominantly linear and is somewhat unique in that regard.
Skylines? Most people forget when Atlanta was the size of Charlotte's metro (1970ish), there was no midtown, buckhead, etc. skyline. Matter of fact and in terms of height, Charlotte has quite the remarkable skyline for a metro its size (check peer cities). People, Charlotte can't possible compare to Atlanta in many respects nor should it, one is a major city the other is a mid-size city.

You're right, Atlanta has a linear skyline even compared to cities like Dallas and Houston. Miami is expected to linear as it runs along the ocean front.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's my read. Besides BAC, there are no interesting tall buildings, new or old. Also, the amount of cheap homes with vinyl siding in CLT is staggering...you can drive for miles in the midst of this stuff. I just think ATL has better vistas, either close-in or in exurbia.

I have to agree with this statement on the "cheap homes with vinyl siding in CLT is staggering". It looks god awful and I guarantee the areas populated with this stuff (like University Area) will becomes slums in 20-25 years.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I have to agree with this statement on the "cheap homes with vinyl siding in CLT is staggering". It looks god awful and I guarantee the areas populated with this stuff (like University Area) will becomes slums in 20-25 years.
After looking at Mapquest, I saw these where 485 splits off from 85, and begins its southward run. And I expected their ring road to be forested. Instead, all these vinyl houses sit in these subdivisions where all the trees were ripped out. Yes, Atlanta has some of that, but what I see when you go around their Perimeter, particularly on the southern end, are a lot of brick ranches inside the trees, styled the same way as their counterparts in Decatur and Brookhaven, that just happen to be in poor(er) neighborhoods. Flying into Hartsfield, from either direction, also confirms this.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-02-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 PM

229 posts, read 520,420 times
Charlotte has a great skyline. Especially for it's size. No other city in its tier can compete with it.
Nevertheless, Atlanta is so much bigger, bolder and flashier than Charlotte is until it really makes no sense to try to compare the two.
Charlotte is a beautiful city though. With beautiful neighborhoods. However, is is lacking is "city vibe" outside of uptown.
Atlanta wins for big city vibe and attributes/amenities (along with all the negatives that comes along with being a very big city), and Charlotte wins for family life and, beacuse it's smaller, overall QOL.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
After looking at Mapquest, I saw these where 485 splits off from 85, and begins its southward run. And I expected their ring road to be forested. Instead, all these vinyl houses sit in these subdivisions where all the trees were ripped out. Yes, Atlanta has some of that, but what I see when you go around their Perimeter, particularly on the southern end, are a lot of brick ranches inside the trees, styled the same way as their counterparts in Decatur and Brookhaven, that just happen to be in poor(er) neighborhoods. Flying into Hartsfield, from either direction, also confirms this.
Over the past 2 years 3 large apartments have gone up (1 currently under construction) in that area. I forecast a huge problems in the future. See the older apartments off WT Harris which are already showing undesirable signs.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times
It is staggering to me that some take pride in Atanta's multiple skylines which highlight the lack of planning and a business level white flight more than anything else.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It is staggering to me that some take pride in Atanta's multiple skylines which highlight the lack of planning and a business level white flight more than anything else.
Most major cities have multiple skylines and they are typically in "edge cities."

Atlanta has downtown and Buckhead and Dunwoody/Perimeter
New York has downtown and midtown, plus corporate hubs in Westchester Co
LA has downtown and Century City, as well as several others, plus a skyline that continues along Wilshire Boulevard, going west from downtown toward the ocean
Seattle has downtown and Bellevue, across Lake Washington
Dallas has downtown and Irving/Las Colinas
Houston has downtown and Westheimer/Galleria (the tallest US skyscraper outside out a city's CBD is located here, the last I knew...Transco Tower, I believe)
SF has the financial district and Oakland and a bunch of corporate hubs in the East Bay
Philadelphia has center city and some corporate hubs, in places like King of Prussia
Don't know about Chicago, since I don't like it much, but think a lot of corporate hubs are near the airport

And your point is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta