U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,261,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If that were the case, the crime rates would be similar but they aren't (and of course one can't do a citywide "crime calibration" based on a few isolated instances; you need access to comprehensive data for that). Honestly, those things are mild compared to some of the things I hear in metro Atlanta but Charlotte has its crazy crime stories also. Like I said, in terms of day to day living, it really depends on where one lives exactly.
It is the case - just not as publicized. Google car break in's at Concord Mills. There's a list of stories. I think the crime is comparable if you calibrate the size of metro of Atlanta to Charlotte. Basically both the West & East sides of Charlotte are crime ridden. Eastland Mall had to close because 1. CRIME 2. Stores left.

My mother was in Eastland Mall a couple of years ago. The police shut the mall down, locked all the shoppers in the mall, becuase there was a shooting in the mall.

And Gastonia - poor hilibily crime haven.

Independence Hwy is what - A crime ridden mess

Sugar Creek is what - A Crime ridden mess

Hidden Valley - A Crime ridden mess

Crime in University City - growing everyday

Last edited by mrdkb; 11-24-2010 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
If that were the case, the crime rates would be similar but they aren't (and of course one can't do a citywide "crime calibration" based on a few isolated instances; you need access to comprehensive data for that). Honestly, those things are mild compared to some of the things I hear in metro Atlanta but Charlotte has its crazy crime stories also. Like I said, in terms of day to day living, it really depends on where one lives exactly.

And over the summer there was shooting at a Club in Charlotte that resulted in bullet holes in corporate buildings, THIS WAS UPTOWN.

Oh - and last week at a Charlotte Strip club the Silver Fox - a dancer was shot and killed. Please google

This week at an Atlanta Strip (Shooter's Alley) a bouncer was shot abnd killed.

GET IT!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Years ago someone told me that Charlotte was worst than rough areas in NY. Of course I found out that she lived in Hidden Valley.

Years ago someone else told me that Atlanta was worst than rough areas in NY. They lived in a Section Haven in Clayton County.

My point is that both Charlotte and Atlanta have a crime issue (which is why Charlotte always ends up on the FBI/National lists of dangerous cities. Statitically speaking they are about the same as far as crime goes, excecpt Atlanta is bigger (5million metro area vs. 1.5million - estimates)

Old 11-24-2010, 12:55 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,346,571 times
It will be a matter of time before this thread shuts down...

Io

Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Not isolated incidences - here's another

Man dies after uptown club shooting - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/10/1681011/man-shot-by-woman-at-uptown-club.html - broken link)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,346,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post

Man dies after uptown club shooting - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/10/1681011/man-shot-by-woman-at-uptown-club.html - broken link)
But I thought charlotte uptown was clean and safe..

Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
It's not worst place in the world. But I would not advise my wife to walk unattended at night.

It also has tons of homeless - depsite that lies that some Charlotte posters claim.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,861,919 times
Quote:
It is the case - just not as publicized. Google car break in's at Concord Mills. There's a list of stories. I think the crime is comparable if you calibrate the size of metro of Atlanta to Charlotte. Basically both the West & East sides of Charlotte are crime ridden. Eastland Mall had to close because 1. CRIME 2. Stores left.

My mother was in Eastland Mall a couple of years ago. The police shut the mall down, locked all the shoppers in the mall, becuase there was a shooting in the mall.

And Gastonia - poor hilibily crime haven.

Independence Hwy is what - A crime ridden mess

Sugar Creek is what - A Crime ridden mess

Hidden Valley - A Crime ridden mess

Crime in University City - growing everyday
You're not telling me anything I don't know. But I don't see how you can list all of these "crime havens" in Charlotte and act like Atlanta has none at all. If I listed all the crime-ridden areas for Atlanta, the list would be at least twice as long and you know it. Sorry, but anecdotes don't correlate to true crime stats. Maybe you need to tell the FBI your stories so they can move Charlotte up a couple of notches since you seem to have the entire story.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 11-24-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,861,919 times
Quote:

Yes, that's an isolated incident as well. What city hasn't had shootings at clubs, wherever they may be? Should I pull up all the incidents that has happened in Atlanta and then conclude that there's an epidemic with club shootings? What about this recent incident in the Atlanta area:

Shooter Alley: Police identify suspect in wrestler's death *| ajc.com

Come on dude, we could play this tit for tat all day. All you're proving is that crime exists in both cities, and we already know that. However, it's simply a fact that Atlanta has more. No matter how many incidents you post for Charlotte, the fact is that it has less. You're making yourself look like an idiot arguing against facts. It's a fact that Atlanta has waaayyyy more to do than Charlotte, and it's a fact that Atlanta has more crime than Charlotte. FACTS dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
For the most part it is. I've partied several times in Uptown without incident whatsoever.

Quote:
It's not worst place in the world. But I would not advise my wife to walk unattended at night.

It also has tons of homeless - depsite that lies that some Charlotte posters claim.
It has an noticeable homeless population uptown, but "tons"? Nah. Atlanta's downtown homeless/panhandler population absolutely dwarfs that of Charlotte's and you know this is true.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 11-24-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM

942 posts, read 2,692,383 times
According to this 2010 rankings by the FBI, Charlotte metro area is ranked 261 while Atlanta metro area is ranked 256.

Sorry, didn't realize there is another one that is easier to understand: 2010 rankings

Charlotte metro ranks at 87 while Atlanta metro ranks at 92.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or