U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,622,019 times
Reputation: 623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
What I find interesting is that while Atlanta's economy is certainly more diversified, Charlotte is actually recovering better and is a bit overreliant on the industry that started the Great Recession to begin with (banking/finance). I wonder why that is? Is it because so many more people were moving to Atlanta without a job right before the recession, or was it because construction--an industry that's in the gutter right now--was a major driver of the local economy in Atlanta?
Charlotte metro has 10.7% unemployment (and is considerably smaller) and Atlanta metro is at 10.2%. Charlotte was 23 in job growth and Atlanta 26. Atlanta has had lower unemployment throughout the recession and the job growth for both cities in 2010 was about the same.

They both seem to be doing "OK" but all I know is that when I graduated from UNC Charlotte, I could not find a job in Charlotte (couldn't even get an interview). I noticed there were a lot more job postings for my degree in Atlanta, I got several call backs/interviews, and now have a full time job in sales/advertising here... so for me, Atlanta has been a lot better. Also, my girlfriend is in design and this is a much better place for her, and she also has a job in her field. Having kept up with many of my classmates who still live in Charlotte and North Carolina, only 2 of them have full time jobs in their fields. The rest are either not working or still working part time jobs in restaurants/retail (and we graduated a little over a year ago).

 
Old 02-05-2011, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
265 posts, read 250,540 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Charlotte metro has 10.7% unemployment (and is considerably smaller) and Atlanta metro is at 10.2%. Charlotte was 23 in job growth and Atlanta 26. Atlanta has had lower unemployment throughout the recession and the job growth for both cities in 2010 was about the same.

They both seem to be doing "OK" but all I know is that when I graduated from UNC Charlotte, I could not find a job in Charlotte (couldn't even get an interview). I noticed there were a lot more job postings for my degree in Atlanta, I got several call backs/interviews, and now have a full time job in sales/advertising here... so for me, Atlanta has been a lot better. Also, my girlfriend is in design and this is a much better place for her, and she also has a job in her field. Having kept up with many of my classmates who still live in Charlotte and North Carolina, only 2 of them have full time jobs in their fields. The rest are either not working or still working part time jobs in restaurants/retail (and we graduated a little over a year ago).
Well I didn't say that Atlanta came to a complete standstill, because that is obviously not true. Of course, depending on your field, one can most certainly have better luck in Atlanta. I don't really know any recent college graduates here so I can't really comment about how their job searches are going. I've just seen a few recent studies that show that Charlotte is doing a little better at recovery than Atlanta. It just seems like Atlanta's economy shouldn't be doing as bad as it is right now since it's pretty diversified. Or at least that's what conventional wisdom says.
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:37 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Reputation: 486
Oh God here we go. WHich City is the best depends on the person. Atlanta seems to be the favorite as more people have decided to be in Atlanta than Charlotte. Charlotte needs to focus on being Charlotte.
 
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
265 posts, read 250,540 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Oh God here we go. WHich City is the best depends on the person. Atlanta seems to be the favorite as more people have decided to be in Atlanta than Charlotte. Charlotte needs to focus on being Charlotte.
Charlotte is doing just that. Don't confuse everyday C-D people with city business and civic leaders who could care less about the pissing matches that so frequently occur here.
 
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Charlotte is doing just that. Don't confuse everyday C-D people with city business and civic leaders who could care less about the pissing matches that so frequently occur here.

City leaders in Charlotte want to surpass Atlanta one day. So they are talking about Atlanta and how they can make Charlotte economic king of the South. Which I highly doubt will happen.Just my opinion
 
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
265 posts, read 250,540 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
City leaders in Charlotte want to surpass Atlanta one day. So they are talking about Atlanta and how they can make Charlotte economic king of the South. Which I highly doubt will happen.Just my opinion
You've got it backwards. That article appeared in Atlanta's newspaper about Charlotte, that and a few more articles. It seems that Atlanta is looking in its rearview mirror and worrying about us nipping at its heels.

Quote:
But laying braggadocio aside, Reed said Atlanta was, in fact, in danger falling behind Charlotte if the city and state donít make strides on transportation, education, water and the arts.
Charlotte who? Mayor Kasim Reed says Atlanta still on top | Political Insider

Quote:
North Carolina has spent more than $300 million since 1992 to bolster its passenger rail service. On Thursday, it saw a return on that investment: a $545 million slice of President Barack Obama's $8 billion high-speed rail stimulus...

Georgia got a similar warning but didn't jump to action. It got a $750,000 sliver...

Atlanta business leaders, warily eyeing the rise of Charlotte and other Southern cities, have dreaded this moment for years.

"It matters very much," said Renay Blumenthal, senior vice president at the Metro Atlanta Chamber, which has advocated for high-speed rail planning for more than a decade. "We have long feared," she said, "that there was going to be a high-speed rail from Washington, D.C., down the southeastern corridor, and we did not want to see that train stop in Charlotte. If it didnít come down to Atlanta, think about the economic advantage that corridor gives to Charlotte."
North Carolina invests, wins rail money; Georgia doesn't *| ajc.com

Quote:
Bad traffic congestion and other infrastructure ills didnít matter much when Atlanta was the only game in town. For a long time, anyone who needed a presence in the Southeast found Atlanta the easy or even only answer.

But no more. Atlanta is now surrounded by upstart, faster-growing cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, Nashville and Charleston, S.C. ó all in many ways with ambitions once characteristic of Atlanta.

Atlantaís problem lies in its insufficient differentiation from these other places. Other than the airport, a clear major asset to Atlanta, how much do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? Your commute will even improve. These other cities also now have the talent to compete for a lot of the business Atlanta used to pick up without working for it.
The capital of the New South looks vulnerable *| ajc.com

Quote:
Sandy Springs Councilman Rusty Paul said companies moving to his city may still demand an Atlanta address, ďBut they donít want the taxes and bureaucracy that come with the city. The perception of crime, the perception of politics. All that hurts the city in attracting businesses...Ē

Regional rivals, such as Charlotte, point to recent recruiting coups. This month, it landed health care provider Premier Inc.ís headquarters.
Engine for growth has run out of fuel *| ajc.com

On the contrary, you never see articles like this about Atlanta in the Charlotte Observer because we generally recognize that Atlanta is in a higher tier than us. The nervousness seems to be on the part of Atlanta, not us. We're pretty much at the top of our tier of cities and have great potential to enter the next tier within a two or three decades but Atlanta has to worry about remaining competitive within its own tier among the likes of Houston and Dallas.
 
Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times
Reputation: 3975
Charlotte vs Atlanta....Which one is best!!

I'd go with Baton Rouge, the restaurants and night life are several cuts above the other two. And...it has all major sports. (well, in the vicinity, NawLens and Mardi Gras are right next door).
 
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,868,549 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
You've got it backwards. That article appeared in Atlanta's newspaper about Charlotte, that and a few more articles. It seems that Atlanta is looking in its rearview mirror and worrying about us nipping at its heels...
Your comments are true and very timely. Here is yet another article from today's AJC just full of Charlotte references...
New Article: ‘We’re not really rooting for ourselves anymore’ *| ajc.com
 
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
265 posts, read 250,540 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Your comments are true and very timely. Here is yet another article from today's AJC just full of Charlotte references...
New Article: ‘We’re not really rooting for ourselves anymore’ *| ajc.com
Wow! Seriously, we've really been on Atlanta's mind lately. This is just more confirmation that Charlotte is definitely focusing on being a better Charlotte, but lately Atlanta seems to be looking more in the rearview mirror out of what seems to be a bit of insecurity concerning the future direction of the city.
 
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Crown Town
2,742 posts, read 5,868,549 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Wow! Seriously, we've really been on Atlanta's mind lately. This is just more confirmation that Charlotte is definitely focusing on being a better Charlotte, but lately Atlanta seems to be looking more in the rearview mirror out of what seems to be a bit of insecurity concerning the future direction of the city.
And again today, yet another story: Here in Georgia, too much Carolina in our minds | Kyle Wingfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top