U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When was the last time you saw a Confederate Flag?
No never or rarely.I live in the city limits 10 17.54%
No never or rarely ,I live in the suburbs 9 15.79%
Occasionally.Usually on a shirt or tag at best.Occasionally displayed from a poll 24 42.11%
Too often everywhere.Its so annoying 8 14.04%
Do not live in the Atlanta area.But visit.See them all the time 4 7.02%
Do not live in Atlanta,but visit never really seen or paid much attention to them 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,904,334 times

Advertisements

Who cares?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,958,695 times
It's odd, I rarely notice them, and as I've said before I'm appreciative of them as they let me know what I'm dealing with, but the other day my son pointed one out to me. He's absolutely flag-obsessed since the Olympics, plus he watches international soccer so he knows a lot of flags. Flipped me out a bit when he asked me what country that flag was from. I told him an old, dead country. Interestingly enough, he let it go at that. Normally he would ask a million questions, but for whatever reason he didn't that time. I suppose someday I'll have to explain it to him, but I wasn't in the mood that day.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:24 PM

719 posts, read 1,474,359 times
You really should clarify whether you mean an actual full-size flag or any representation broadly speaking. If you define this broadly, I'd say it's an everyday occurrence in much of metro Atlanta. But if you're talking about an actual flag, that's something else entirely.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:31 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,113,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
You really should clarify whether you mean an actual full-size flag or any representation broadly speaking. If you define this broadly, I'd say it's an everyday occurrence in much of metro Atlanta. But if you're talking about an actual flag, that's something else entirely.
Agreed -- when I said I see the flag daily, I was talking about representations (mostly small ... on cars or tattoos or what not) not full fledged flags.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,734,012 times
There's a guy who lives near me that has one in the window of his garage- I pass it every time I go down that road, and really don't care.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:55 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,361,974 times
I gather it depends on which flag of the Confederacy.

Battle Flag aka Stars and Bars?

Well, you can see the flag from 1957 when you cross the GA line from Tennessee on 75 and again from Florida. A Big Massive one.

Standard Battle Flag: You will find it all over at the Confederate grave sites and history museums in GA.
Of course you will find many on cars, pick'm up trucks, usually by Bubba that though he hails the flag for the Klan, bless his heart he is to stupid to realize that he has the darn thing attached to the truck upside down

Standard Flags of the Confederacy: Alabama for one, the state flag.

1st Flag of the Confederacy: Daily all over any state and federal building and on top of the gold dome downtown. Remove the seal of GA and you have the first flag of the confederacy or otherwise known as the real stars and bars from 1861-1863 or todays Georgia State Flag.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,361,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
HA! That's funny. Just goes to show that trash is trash is trash - city, suburb, or hick town.
Hey, don't you call my kid trash! LOL!

Seriously, though, I can't say for sure he picked up that vulgar phrase from my husband or from school. But it's the first time I ever heard him say it. I spent more time talking to him about THAT than I did about that flag.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 PM

352 posts, read 474,441 times
Too often.

My neighbors up the street put a huge one in their window after Obama won

I also see them around town on those annoying "Boot Purdue" stickers. I hate seeing them, but it is a free country.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,254,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Who cares?
Because its a forum.Some people do care.Some do not.Which ever the case may be,THIS is the right venue for asking these such questions.Therefore since you DID take the time enough to utter a response apparently YOU did care enough.So to answer your question "who cares?"We I guess the answer would be YOU?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:29 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,254,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Well generally speaking I suppose I could have worded it better.But in the first post I did say symbol,shirt tag or flown.I also think that most people who even notice it enough to care whether they dislike it or love it,its still a representation that for many gives a feeling of angst and repulsion and for others a sense of pride and reverence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or