Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When was the last time you saw a Confederate Flag?
No never or rarely.I live in the city limits 10 17.54%
No never or rarely ,I live in the suburbs 9 15.79%
Occasionally.Usually on a shirt or tag at best.Occasionally displayed from a poll 24 42.11%
Too often everywhere.Its so annoying 8 14.04%
Do not live in the Atlanta area.But visit.See them all the time 4 7.02%
Do not live in Atlanta,but visit never really seen or paid much attention to them 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,729,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Please. How do you know it's hate?
Could be historical pride.

Just like the pride an African American shows by wearing a Malcolm X shirt, or a Martin Luther King shirt, etc. You get the point.

Can't be both the pot and the kettle, and frankly, I'm sick of the double standards.
No double standard here.Many white Americans (outside the south)as well as people in other countries can CLEARLY see the difference.Most of my friends and people I know upset about the flag were "white people" that are offended.In fact black people I know are so use to incidents of racism that a "confederate flag" or a "symbol" is just a reality that most don't give it much thought anymore.

How does Macolm X(an AMerican) correlate to a flag that was used as a symbol of hate?A flag used and flown proudly by the KKK and of hate groups.A flag that is a TREASONOUS symbol.

You really need to know your history.Malcom X was about empowerment of an oppressed people.The Confederate Flag was /is (many times) used as a tool to OPPRESS people.Big difference.Malcom X did not extol the virtues of superiority rather than promoting that we are equal and have the POTENTIAL to be better than anybody else.He preached self determination,self preservation at ALL COST.

Martin Luther King was an also an AMERICAN denied equal right by a government that took his taxes but gave him limited rights.

What does this have to do with a flag that the kKK rallies around?

YouTube - KKK Protest and Anti Hate Counter Rally at Ole Miss LSU Game 2009

Also notice I did say in my post you responded to that I said "when it is used for hate".I never said ALL the Time by EVERYONE

Old 06-05-2010, 01:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,287,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The Confederate Flag was /is (many times) used as a tool to OPPRESS people.
Wow- some people must be easily oppressed if you can oppress them just by hanging a flag......

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Wow- some people must be easily oppressed if you can oppress them just by hanging a flag......
You know what I mean.Much like the Nazi Flag or symbol is used today.Same correlation.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:39 PM

538 posts, read 922,941 times
[quote=afonega1;14487099]No double standard here.Many white Americans (outside the south)as well as people in other countries can CLEARLY see the difference.Most of my friends and people I know upset about the flag were "white people" that are offended.In fact black people I know are so use to incidents of racism that a "confederate flag" or a "symbol" is just a reality that most don't give it much thought anymore.

How does Macolm X(an AMerican) correlate to a flag that was used as a symbol of hate?A flag used and flown proudly by the KKK and of hate groups.A flag that is a TREASONOUS symbol.

You really need to know your history.Malcom X was about empowerment of an oppressed people.The Confederate Flag was /is (many times) used as a tool to OPPRESS people.Big difference.Malcom X did not extol the virtues of superiority rather than promoting that we are equal and have the POTENTIAL to be better than anybody else.He preached self determination,self preservation at ALL COST.

Perhaps you should check into history before extolling the virtues of Malcolm X and his desire for "equality", etc.

"The death of over 120 white people is a very beautiful thing"....Malcolm X on June 3, 1962 upon learning of a plane crash killing approximately 120 people.

"The white man is the devil".....Malcolm X on occassions too numerous to count.

But based on your world view, the Confederate Flag is a "symbol of hate", but a Malcolm X tee-shirt is not .....LMAO at the hypocrisy and double standard.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:03 PM

859 posts, read 2,113,553 times
GGRREEGGG! Hey guys I'm thinking about heading down to midtown this evening, pray for me

Until then...

YouTube - Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

Old 06-05-2010, 03:35 PM

[quote=northwinds;14487855]
Quote:
No double standard here.Many white Americans (outside the south)as well as people in other countries can CLEARLY see the difference.Most of my friends and people I know upset about the flag were "white people" that are offended.In fact black people I know are so use to incidents of racism that a "confederate flag" or a "symbol" is just a reality that most don't give it much thought anymore.

Perhaps you should check into history before extolling the virtues of Malcolm X and his desire for "equality", etc.

"The death of over 120 white people is a very beautiful thing"....Malcolm X on June 3, 1962 upon learning of a plane crash killing approximately 120 people.

"The white man is the devil".....Malcolm X on occassions too numerous to count.

But based on your world view, the Confederate Flag is a "symbol of hate", but a Malcolm X tee-shirt is not .....LMAO at the hypocrisy and double standard.
I would be willing to even let you have Malcom because during his time he said reactionary things and maybe meant them as he and his fellow African Americans were treated poorly by his fellow Americans.Still not the same thing becasue Malcom never killed anyone but nonetheless ,hate breeds hate.Even Malcom before his death realize the common brotherhood of humanity after visiting Mecca.
If you must use short "talking points" to make a weak case why do you not use the whole context of why ,what,where,who, and when he said that.It was right after a he was speaking of the LAPD attacked a Muslim mosque killing a member.This was no 911 terror area and the police force back then was notorious for being racist as it had leading up to Rodney King.

YouTube - MALCOLM X: The LAPD Killed Unarmed Muslims
However you then said Martin Luther King.That is what I find more fascinating and also very telling.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM

538 posts, read 922,941 times
@afonega1 who wrote: "why do you not use the whole context of why ,what,where,who, and when he said that."

So if a white person says "the death of 120 black people is a very beautiful thing" and "black people are the devil" we need to look a the whole context of "why" (perhaps his daughter was raped by a black man)....etc.....and then celebrate his life for a generation...gotcha...

To many, the Confederate flag is a symbol of their heritage here in the South....not a symbol of hate. (see Lady 300's comment @2:43 for some perspective). The people who are offended by the Confederate flag have no more reason to stifle its appearance than I do to try and eradicate any reference to Malcolm X who I find to be offensive.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,402,612 times
It's been a while. I barely have time, or make time to notice these things.

I think the last time was on the Gen. Lee (car on the Dukes of Hazzard).

Old 06-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Thumbs down Not even nearly the same thing.Believe what YOU want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
@afonega1 who wrote: "why do you not use the whole context of why ,what,where,who, and when he said that."

So if a white person says "the death of 120 black people is a very beautiful thing" and "black people are the devil" we need to look a the whole context of "why" (perhaps his daughter was raped by a black man)....etc.....and then celebrate his life for a generation...gotcha...

To many, the Confederate flag is a symbol of their heritage here in the South....not a symbol of hate. (see Lady 300's comment @2:43 for some perspective). The people who are offended by the Confederate flag have no more reason to stifle its appearance than I do to try and eradicate any reference to Malcolm X who I find to be offensive.
You only the answer the question that you felt you needed to TRY and justify what you said.But sense you only want to play your way fine.I'll bite.

Context:
1962 a whole race of people are being subjugated to a status less than that of their fellow citizens.I systematic controlled method of "state sponsored hate" toward another race by one race.

He said those words after Lynchings,riots,dogs leashed,families attacked only because of the COLOR of their skin. His own father murdered by the KKK.Left his mother with 8 children to raise on his own.A series of lifetime events where the one constant variable in whether his very life depending on FORCED to protect himself from people whose skin happen to be white.We are not talking about at best sporatic cases of violence against people that happen to be white by a black person.Wrong is Wrong but these are NOT the same circumstance that YOU are trying to build as if it is.

Context:
Quote:
This is what Time Mag had to say:
Malcolm was also a savage speaker. After the 1962 plane crash in France that killed 121 whites from Georgia, he rose before a Los Angeles audience and said: "I would like to announce a very beautiful thing that has happened. I got a wire from God today. He really answered our prayers over in France. He dropped an airplane out of the sky with over 120 white people on it because the Muslims believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. We will continue to pray and we hope that every day another plane falls out of the sky."
Read more: Races: Death and Transfiguration - TIME

I ,just as am my family I grew up in, as Christian believe that MLK JR. way was the right way.But the human spirit does have an ability to fight back and react when attack.Sometimes just not in the most effective way.

Malcom X symbolised that we can be powerful not so much with just our fist, but we should be strong together and stand up be proud instead of shrivelling and begging.Those two leaders represented the angst of black Americans.Back and forth emotions in the black community all over the U.S. were tested by each injustice that happened each minute by and unfair unjust nation ruled by a class of white people who either were indifferent of happy with the status quo.Meanwhile black children lived in terrible conditions,force to go to inadequate schools,and grown people talked down to like they were children.

So if white people had were in that role.Yes they should have celebrated the HISTORY of what that person was trying to do.

No one today would celebrate any human dying in such a manner.Although things are not perfect or still "just".They are far better and we are United as a Country and people for the most part.

I am a proud southern. Unfortunately I cannot revel in the glory of that symbol or flag as others of the white persuasion can.However I understand that it represents different things to other people.I DON'T pretend to know what that always is.But what i do know is that IT is a flag of TREASON.They lost the war.Why would you hold a treasonist flag in such high esteem over the United countries flag?What justification is that?The flag before it wa the U.S. flag.After the war it still is.Yet those same people who support it many times get infuriated when some one displays a flag like the Mexican somewhere in the U.S.

Last edited by afonega1; 06-05-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 06:35 PM

295 posts, read 319,112 times
Quote:
You only the answer the question that you felt you needed to TRY and justify what you said.But sense you only want to play your way fine.I'll bite.

Context:
1962 a whole race of people are being subjugated to a status less than that of their fellow citizens.I systematic controlled method of "state sponsored hate" toward another race by one race.

He said those words after Lynchings,riots,dogs leashed,families attacked only because of the COLOR of their skin. His own father murdered by the KKK.Left his mother with 8 children to raise on his own.A series of lifetime events where the one constant variable in whether his very life depending on FORCED to protect himself from people whose skin happen to be white.We are not talking about at best sporatic cases of violence against people that happen to be white by a black person.Wrong is Wrong but these are NOT the same circumstance that YOU are trying to build as if it is.

Context:

Read more: Races: Death and Transfiguration - TIME

I ,just as am my family I grew up in, as Christian believe that MLK JR. way was the right way.But the human spirit does have an ability to fight back and react when attack.Sometimes just not in the most effective way.

Malcom X symbolised that we can be powerful not so much with just our fist, but we should be strong together and stand up be proud instead of shrivelling and begging.Those two leaders represented the angst of black Americans.Back and forth emotions in the black community all over the U.S. were tested by each injustice that happened each minute by and unfair unjust nation ruled by a class of white people who either were indifferent of happy with the status quo.Meanwhile black children lived in terrible conditions,force to go to inadequate schools,and grown people talked down to like they were children.

So if white people had were in that role.Yes they should have celebrated the HISTORY of what that person was trying to do.

No one today would celebrate any human dying in such a manner.Although things are not perfect or still "just".They are far better and we are United as a Country and people for the most part.

AS far as Georgia's post.I agree with here.I am a proud southern. Unfortunately I cannot revel in the glory of that symbol or flag as others of the white persuasion can.However I understand that it represents different things to other people.I DON'T pretend to know what that always is.But what i do know is that IT is a flag of TREASON.They lost the war.Why would you hold a treasonist flag in such high esteem over the United countries flag?What justification is that?The flag before it wa the U.S. flag.After the war it still is.Yet those same people who support it many times get infuriated when some one displays a flag like the Mexican somewhere in the U.S.
I see the CONFEDERATE FLAG every single day , the MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG, honors itself as being the tenth state to join the UNION and added the Confederate emblem to honor that occassion, racist, WHAT?

As for the Nazi battle flag...let the GERMANS DECIDE THAT FATE! It's propably too late now because the wealthy maggots of EARTH have put millions of dollars into their integration of Europe by Muslims, and North Africans that Germany and many European countries will lose their cultural and heritage identity!

The US flag is really nice it represents those SLAVE SHIPS THAT BROUGHT THOSE AFRICANS HERE, THE DEATH OF INNOCENT AMERICANS IN VIET NAM, THE OPPRESSION ON THE AMERICANS SOUTH OF OUR BORDERS, but it stands for the LIBERTY OF OUR CROOKED AMERICAN FAT SLOB POLITICIANS....GOD BLESS AMERICA AND PARASITES THAT FEED OFF OF THE PEOPLE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta