U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM

969 posts, read 1,081,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I do agree that connection to MARTA makes sense, but that again works under the premise that all anyone wants to do is go downtown.

NEWSFLASH: People might just want to go from Town Center Mall to Cumberland Mall, or from points in between to one or both malls.

Why does everything have to revolve around MARTA and a trip downtown? Why can't residents of Cobb just travel within Cobb? Why is that not a valid use of transit dollars?
NEWSFLASH: Nobody said that and I don't understand why you're getting so defensive. The point of a regional transit system is so that it connects to other parts of the region and whether you believe it or not, downtown Atlanta is the heart of this metro region. People can still travel within Cobb County and if it connects to MARTA and/or goes downtown then they can go downtown too (or anywhere else MARTA goes). It would also allow people in Cobb to get to the airport without having to drive. Finally, since most of the bad traffic is during the week/rush hour, there are people that commute from Cobb to the city of Atlanta or Sandy Springs/Perimeter (which means the light rail could also be extended from Cumberland along 285 to Doraville MARTA station).

Maybe if we invested in downtown Atlanta, it would change for the better and become a place people want to go instead of somewhere they have to go for business (and I'm not talking about the area around the Aquarium). What is with the anti-downtown sentiment around here? No wonder why it looks the way it does! And what is the point of building a bunch of separate train lines if they don't all connect somewhere or to an existing train line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:40 PM

248 posts, read 386,441 times
Quote:
I do agree that connection to MARTA makes sense, but that again works under the premise that all anyone wants to do is go downtown.

NEWSFLASH: People might just want to go from Town Center Mall to Cumberland Mall, or from points in between to one or both malls.

Why does everything have to revolve around MARTA and a trip downtown? Why can't residents of Cobb just travel within Cobb? Why is that not a valid use of transit dollars?
Who said anything about Downtown? MARTA trains go many places in Fulton and Dekalb other than Downtown. Building integrated transit systems that work together to move people all throughout the metro -- that's a good thing.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Who said anything about Downtown? MARTA trains go many places in Fulton and Dekalb other than Downtown.
Right...but MARTA rail requires you to go downtown to get those other places. To get to Stone Mountain, I have to go through Five Points, right?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Quote:
Right...but MARTA rail requires you to go downtown to get those other places. To get to Stone Mountain, I have to go through Five Points, right?
If you wanted to go East or West, then yes. If the other counties supported MARTA a long time ago, maybe we would have another hub transfer point that wasn't downtown, but the system did what it could with the support of only two counties. I'm not saying MARTA doesn't have it's own issues, but I'm sure some of it stems from the lack of support for the past 30 years from the state and metro area.

Anyways, I truly believe a light rail line from Town Center to Cumberland across the top end of 285 to Doraville MARTA station then up through Gwinnett to Buford would do wonders for this metro area. If the Cobb line went from Cumberland south to Atlantic Station and Arts Center MARTA station that would be even better.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
True, but I wouldn't call transferring at Five Points 'going downtown' since you're just standing on a train platform underground. But if you're complaining about the fact that MARTA e/w train routes only connect at that one place, I agree that it can be inconvenient. Some additional e/w and n/s train lines (light rail or street car) through the city would be helpful.

Just a FYI so no one gets confused -- there isn't a MARTA train stop at Stone Mountain (unfortunately) but you can get there by bus.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM

903 posts, read 914,942 times
As a commuter to Kennesaw from Atlanta, I would LOVE this option. Even without a direct MARTA rail link-up, a number of bus lines to and from Cumberland could get me to the light rail.

Really hope they are serious about this. And I'm thankful that they are wise enough to include universities along this route.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:09 PM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
True, but I wouldn't call transferring at Five Points 'going downtown' since you're just standing on a train platform underground.
You are still going downtown. What else would you call it?

That's my point about MARTA in general. It's a radial system planned in the late 1960s and early 1970s that is predicated upon people from outside Atlanta commuting downtown.

Quote:
Just a FYI so no one gets confused -- there isn't a MARTA train stop at Stone Mountain (unfortunately) but you can get there by bus.
Yes, I know. I used to ride the bus to Avondale from my apartment off Memorial Drive and then transfer at Five Points to the N/S line to go to school, from 1982 to 1984, before moving to Gwinnett when Norcross was the boonies. North Avenue was the end of the line back then.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:10 PM

6,555 posts, read 6,880,327 times
I am in agreement with the consensus that long term this LRT line will be useless unless it connects with MARTA. However, connecting Cumberland to Town Center with rail is a very good start and you have to start somewhere with a new system. Besides, doubling the buses from Arts Center to Cumberland would be more than sufficient in the short term. There just aren't enough people from the city who use MARTA that need to get to central Cobb at the moment.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
That's my point about MARTA in general. It's a radial system planned in the late 1960s and early 1970s that is predicated upon people from outside Atlanta commuting downtown.
OK, I see what you're saying. Yeah, there are a lot of nodes of commercial/residential density now in the metro -- that are nowhere near a MARTA station -- that maybe weren't foreseen when the MARTA rail lines were planned. I don't know the history, but I'm guessing there was an assumption on the part of MARTA in the early days that new rail lines could be funded as needed in the future.

Which brings me to...

Quote:
waronxmas: I am in agreement with the consensus that long term this LRT line will be useless unless it connects with MARTA. However, connecting Cumberland to Town Center with rail is a very good start and you have to start somewhere with a new system.
I'm divided about that. I think that making a start on LRT in Cobb of any kind is better than making no start at all, but I also see a lesson to be learned from the MARTA rail line's "MARTA doesn't go anywhere" quandry: new heavy rail lines -- that would expand MARTA train service to density that has developed in the last couple of decades -- are prohibitively expensive, so we're stuck with a train map that doesn't truly connect people in the metro the way it should. The lesson here is that, if LRT in Cobb is started on a small scale, there should be a solid plan for funding future expansions to provide flexibility of development.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 PM

8,025 posts, read 5,070,009 times
Quote:
The lesson here is that, if LRT in Cobb is started on a small scale, there should be a solid plan for funding future expansions to provide flexibility of development.
I'm starting to sound like a shill for this article because this will be the third time I've posted a link to it, but I think it's right on with current trends. It discusses a good flexible model for how LRT could be funded. You may want to check it out.

Here Comes the Neighborhood - Magazine - The Atlantic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta