Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 PM

6 posts, read 27,534 times

Advertisements

Hello, Atlanta.

I am on my way out. I've lived here for what will be 5 years by the time that my day comes where I can say I am finally leaving. Although moving here was the change that I needed in my life at that time, this place is surely not a place to settle and stay in. Well, let me just state for me, at the least... some people love it here, but most that I converse with, are completely over it.

I've had so many different experiences here, I have to say that I've learned a lot, but I have never come across so many women who are desperate, so many men whose arrogance reeks simply from their presence, and so many couples who are in denial and settling for reasons being that the dating scene is based on bull**** due to the lack of genuine people that exist in this city.

I am from the North, and I will be running back next year. I have never really had a "home" feel while living here. People are very opportunistic in Atlanta. I understand that most people's goals are to be successful in life, but, the fact that most people are "users" and the rest of them are "acceptors" is just beyond me.

SO Atlanta, keep your over-saturated, overpopulated, and overrated city. It was a learning experience while it lasted... Some people don't know what they have until it's gone... I may not like the snow, but I will take the yucky weather opposed to the yucky city of "Wana-be Hollywood" any day...

Good luck to all of you moving here for the "hype." Enjoy!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao_BellaBella View Post
Hello, Atlanta.

I am on my way out. I've lived here for what will be 5 years by the time that my day comes where I can say I am finally leaving. Although moving here was the change that I needed in my life at that time, this place is surely not a place to settle and stay in. Well, let me just state for me, at the least... some people love it here, but most that I converse with, are completely over it.

I've had so many different experiences here, I have to say that I've learned a lot, but I have never come across so many women who are desperate, so many men whose arrogance reeks simply from their presence, and so many couples who are in denial and settling for reasons being that the dating scene is based on bull**** due to the lack of genuine people that exist in this city.

I am from the North, and I will be running back next year. I have never really had a "home" feel while living here. People are very opportunistic in Atlanta. I understand that most people's goals are to be successful in life, but, the fact that most people are "users" and the rest of them are "acceptors" is just beyond me.

SO Atlanta, keep your over-saturated, overpopulated, and overrated city. It was a learning experience while it lasted... Some people don't know what they have until it's gone... I may not like the snow, but I will take the yucky weather opposed to the yucky city of "Wana-be Hollywood" any day...

Wow! Bad day in Buckhead I gather?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Wow! Bad day in Buckhead I gather?
LOL ... I guess you can just say that I am... "over it!"

Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I am sorry you feel that way. But what good is posting a bitter diatribe on this site? Do you realize that there is more than one city in Georgia?

Don't take this as an insult, but I get the feeling that you didn't really try to get the best bang for the buck that you could have gotten out of Atlanta, or Georgia in particular.

Have fun freezing in the north, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao_BellaBella View Post
Hello, Atlanta.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I am sorry you feel that way. But what good is posting a bitter diatribe on this site? Do you realize that there is more than one city in Georgia?

Don't take this as an insult, but I get the feeling that you didn't really try to get the best bang for the buck that you could have gotten out of Atlanta, or Georgia in particular.

Welp, it's just my opinion. This IS a FORUM... I don't find it to be bitter, as I stated, it's my opinion of the city. I have lived in a couple of different places here. Atlanta is what it is in my eyes, as mentioned when starting the thread. I've done many things and as I said I have had many experiences, but, it's just not "for me."

AND, enjoy the green blanket of pollen next Spring...

Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I was thinking the same thing.
Was thinking about myself. I moved here with my wife 6 years ago as my spouse was not at all happy with -10 degree January's in Chicago. When I first arrived I was too busy, but after a few months in to be honest the next few years I was miserable. Frankly, I hated this place. I do not live in the city but lets say I am close enough and in the Atlanta metro area. Between the traffic, the heat, the crime levels, and the darned panhandling everytime I went downtown I just about had enough. Then I thought to myself, Self! how come you hate it so much? Self, you have lived everywhere and always found something you liked, heck Self, you have been all around the world for that matter, ex-military, pooped at and missed, shot at and hit, Self! what is your problem?

Well, the problem I was being lazy and focusing on what is close to me. I am NOT a city guy, I have always disliked city urban areas. Heck! I'm an old country boy from West Virginia. So what do you do....???
Fast forward to now. If my wife and I want some Art and a Fine Meal we go into Atlanta and enjoy it. Yes! that is my limit. But what else? I am at our getaway in Blue Ridge,GA every chance I get. I go to Helen and wait!, go to the state parks and hike, hike, hike. Travel around the north mountains to greasy spoons and have fun.

End result, I now enjoy it here. Georgia has everything you want, the city, the mountains, the shore, everything, even four mild seasons. OK, July could fry the arse off a nat, but for the most part it's bearable.

If you have not and before you pack up your nest and head back to the north country with the rest of the Canadian Geese, try spreading your wings and soaring around the state a little.

PS: In Buckhead you may find many of those you described as transplanted northern folk, mostly NY.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
I find it a amusing that someone that accuses Atlanta of being 'oversaturated' and 'overpopulated' also believes that the solution is to move to the Northeast. Lots of wide open spaces there for sure.
I take threads like this with a grain of salt.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

236 posts, read 698,601 times
It's certainly not for everyone. I echo the comments about getting out and enjoying what you love regardless of where you are...if the North feels like home - by all means, go where you're happiest.

Come visit.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
I'd like to know where this magical city that isn't occupied with self centered and cut throat people, where high paying jobs and dates are easily attainable. And going to northeast to because Atlanta is "overpopulated" and "overrated"? Ha?

Don't get me wrong, I don't know you or want to judge you, but posts like the OPs are exceeding common on C-D. At some point, I hope people realize what it is really that is causing their lives not to be all they want them to be. Here's a hint, it's not Atlanta. If it were, then why move here in the first place?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:17 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
It's funny how vastly different experience can be. I've been pleasantly surprised by my Atlanta experience. Traffic is far, far easier to deal with than I expected. (If you stay off major highways during rush hour and/or know how to use side roads, you're golden.) It's been so much easier to make friends here than anywhere else I've lived in the U.S. People I met have been generally friendly, laid-back, genuine. There's top-notch dining at bargain basement prices compared to other cities. Affordable housing in decent neighborhoods. I'm scared of July/August heat-wise, but the weather here has been mostly stellar.

I really love this city so far. (And sure, you have to drive most everywhere, but the tree canopy is gorgeous.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta