U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

7,852 posts, read 11,533,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
You have to have ridden the Pink Pig and have memories of Willie B
Some of us were a little old to ride the pink pig...although I do remember when it was located at the old Rich's store downtown, as was the lighting of Rich's Great Tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM

116 posts, read 160,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not necessarily; I was born the daughter of a eighth-generation Atlantan, but because he was in the service I was born in Pensacola, FL.
As far as my Atlanta cred goes, I was raised and attended schools in Druid Hills, remember Sunday dinners at the downtown Atlanta Athletic Club, Peachtree Golf Club, and (LOL) the Howard Johnson's at N Druid Hills and I-85. I celebrated birthdays at Funtown, Storyland and the little amusement park behind Broadview (now Lindbergh) Plaza. I remember the Piedmont Drive-In (at Piedmont and Lindbergh). I remember the local high school hangouts such as Gino's Pizza, Bavarian Alpine Inn, Sandy's Drive-In (now the Rusty Nail), Toco Hills stores such as Ben Franklin, Pot O' Gold, SuperX Drugs, Miller's and Colonial Stores and remember when the Toco Hills Theatre was the largest suburban movie theatre in the city. I dined at Polaris, Coach and Six, Fan and Bill's (prom!), Cross Roads, Mammy's Shanty, The Sandpiper, Hofbrau House, Chateau Fleur de Lis, Caruso's, Seven Steers, Boston Sea Party and the Ambassador; I drank at Hemingway's, Green's, The Beer Mug, The Stein Club, Oliver's, Limelight, Five Paces Inn and Copperfield's; Underground Atlanta was THE place to be, particularly The Mad Hatter on 'Four for One' nights (I kid you not). I remember when Virginia-Highland and Little Five Points were as dead as a doornail. I remember stopping after school at the Fruit Jungle to get an Icee and a candy bar. I remember telling my parents that I was going to evening church services with my friends, changing into hippie clothes in the car and instead going to Piedmont Park to see the Allman Brothers and Hampton Grease Band. I remember junkies selling The Great Speckled Bird on Peachtree in Midtown. I remember the opening of the Hyatt Regency and the Westin Peachtree Plaza (both very big deals). I remember the Orly air crash in 1962 that took the lives of many prominent Atlantans (including our neighbors). I remember the announcement that we would host the Olympics, I remember Hank Aaron hitting the magic 715. I remember the election of our first black mayor, Maynard Jackson. Most of all, I remember loving the fact that I lived in this city.
So, do you have to be born here to be an Atlantan? No. More than anything, it's a state of mind.
"TOUCHDOWN"!

Transplant from Philly...Livin and Lovin the ATL for the past 15 years.

My dd was born here "Northside Hospital"....she is a "true" Peach!

Unread 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 37,794 times
Quote:
Not necessarily; I was born the daughter of a eighth-generation Atlantan, but because he was in the service I was born in Pensacola, FL.
As far as my Atlanta cred goes, I was raised and attended schools in Druid Hills, remember Sunday dinners at the downtown Atlanta Athletic Club, Peachtree Golf Club, and (LOL) the Howard Johnson's at N Druid Hills and I-85. I celebrated birthdays at Funtown, Storyland and the little amusement park behind Broadview (now Lindbergh) Plaza. I remember the Piedmont Drive-In (at Piedmont and Lindbergh). I remember the local high school hangouts such as Gino's Pizza, Bavarian Alpine Inn, Sandy's Drive-In (now the Rusty Nail), Toco Hills stores such as Ben Franklin, Pot O' Gold, SuperX Drugs, Miller's and Colonial Stores and remember when the Toco Hills Theatre was the largest suburban movie theatre in the city. I dined at Polaris, Coach and Six, Fan and Bill's (prom!), Cross Roads, Mammy's Shanty, The Sandpiper, Hofbrau House, Chateau Fleur de Lis, Caruso's, Seven Steers, Boston Sea Party and the Ambassador; I drank at Hemingway's, Green's, The Beer Mug, The Stein Club, Oliver's, Limelight, Five Paces Inn and Copperfield's; Underground Atlanta was THE place to be, particularly The Mad Hatter on 'Four for One' nights (I kid you not). I remember when Virginia-Highland and Little Five Points were as dead as a doornail. I remember stopping after school at the Fruit Jungle to get an Icee and a candy bar. I remember telling my parents that I was going to evening church services with my friends, changing into hippie clothes in the car and instead going to Piedmont Park to see the Allman Brothers and Hampton Grease Band. I remember junkies selling The Great Speckled Bird on Peachtree in Midtown. I remember the opening of the Hyatt Regency and the Westin Peachtree Plaza (both very big deals). I remember the Orly air crash in 1962 that took the lives of many prominent Atlantans (including our neighbors). I remember the announcement that we would host the Olympics, I remember Hank Aaron hitting the magic 715. I remember the election of our first black mayor, Maynard Jackson. Most of all, I remember loving the fact that I lived in this city.
So, do you have to be born here to be an Atlantan? No. More than anything, it's a state of mind.
Did you go to Druid Hills High school? I did as well. I graduated in 2000 though!

Unread 06-11-2010, 01:04 PM

12,582 posts, read 7,179,127 times
Quote:
... I remember the local high school hangouts such as ... Bavarian Alpine Inn,
The BAI! Fruit Jungle! Les Brers in Piedmont Park!

Thanks for a great stroll down memory lane, LovinDecatur. You nailed it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta