U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 AM

14 posts, read 160 times
Default Catholic churches in Cobb Country

My family is considering moving to Cobb County. It looks like a nice place to live but there are only 7 Catholic churches there. So i'm assuming that there's not a large Catholic population. Does anyone know if those are big churches or small churches? I just don't want to feel alienated there and our Catholic faith is very important to us. So any info would help, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 10:04 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,524,443 times
What part of Cobb? I know there is a decent concentration of Catholics in East Cobb and in Smyrna. The only one I've been to is one off of King Springs Rd. in Smyrna (names escapes me) and it was pretty old and non-aetsthetically pleasing to the eye. If you are living in Vinings/Smyrna, it is definitely worth the drive over to Holy Spirit at the intersection of Mt. Paran and Northside in Buckhead/Sandy Springs area. We got married there and it is a gorgeous church which also has a private school. We drove from Mableton to there while living there (only about 20-30 minutes).

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM

21 posts, read 61,473 times
We are also moving to Cobb County. On our last trip down in December, we went to Holy Family Catholic Church at 3401 Lower Roswell Road. It was a nice size and we felt very welcome there. There's also the Catholic Church of St. Ann at 4905 Roswell Road in Marietta, Transfiguration Catholic Church 1815 Blackwell Road, NE Marietta, Georgia 30066-2911 and St. Joseph Catholic Church, 87 Lacy Street, Marietta, GA 30060.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:18 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,524,443 times
Another thing - you have to remember that the bulk of the northern suburbs were built up of northern transplants in the 70's and 80's, so there are a LOT of Catholics in northern Atlanta, as well as some very prestigious Catholic private schools. I grew up Catholic in Dunwoody in the 80's and had zero problems feeling left out b/c of it...in fact, most of the kids in my classes were also Cath. and I would see them at CCD all the time also.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 43,830 times
Where are you living in Cobb County? I currently live in Marietta and have been to many Catholic Churches in the Atlanta area. You may want to check out Masstimes.org or the Atlanta archdiocese website Archdiocese of Atlanta to look at the individual church websites. Transfiguration is a large church and is very contemporary (no kneelers, contemporary music) and has a lot going on as far as parish family goes. St. Ann's is large, too, and they have a Life Teen Mass with a contemporary band (drums, guitars, etc) that is great. Lots of families go to that on Sunday nights. They have a lot of activities, too. I've been to St. Joseph's a few times and they seem to be very good about cultural diversity and seem to have a pretty strong Hispanic ministry from what I can tell from the few times I've been there. They seem like a pretty large parish, too. Holy Spirit and Christ the King are in the city and are very large and offer a lot of activities.
I've been in South Carolina for the past few years so Atlanta has a much larger Catholic population compared to there. My Catholic faith is really important to me and I have been very impressed at how active the Atlanta Archdiocese is. PM me if you move here and I can give you some contacts.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 160 times
Actually Marietta was what we were leaning towards and it's great to hear that they have Life Teen there because we also have Life Teen at our current parish and I have 2 teens that are active in the program. I just looked at some of the websites for those churches and they're big! St. Ann's has 3,500 familes, Transfiguration has 4,000 families. Surprised me. I wasn't expecting big Catholic churches in GA. I thought my church was big (2,000 families) But thanks for all the info. Any more info, like personal experience at these churches would be helpful.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 12,152 times
My family is considering moving to Cobb County. It looks like a nice place to live but there are only 7 Catholic churches there. So i'm assuming that there's not a large Catholic population.

As other posters have mentioned, the Catholic population is reasonably large. In my opinion, the archdiocese of Atlanta should be creating some new parishes since most Catholic churches around here are overcrowded - Some parishes have 8 or 9 masses on Sunday and every one fills the building.

The main reason I am posting however, is to mention a Catholic church in Cobb County that the others left out. St. Francis de Sales church in Mableton is an indult parish that offers mass and all the sacraments in the traditional latin rite.

No doubt, that is not everyone's cup of tea, but I strongly encourage all Catholics to visit at least twice. The first time is a culture shock. The second time, you know what to expect so you get more out of it.

Over time I grew to really like the traditional rite and I am now a parishoner there. The parish directory lists about 220 families and we usually have around 200 people attend high mass on Sundays. There are a lot of families with children, a scout group, and lots of parish activities.

St. Francis De Sales Atlanta's Catholic Latin Mass Community

Old 06-18-2007, 07:09 PM

304 posts, read 955,825 times
Does anyone know which Catholic church is close to the West Cobb area (we are in the Acworth/Kennesaw area...unicorporated Powder Springs to be exact)? It sounds like the other churches mentioned are closer to East Cobb?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 PM

9,112 posts, read 20,397,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsxyz View Post
[i]The main reason I am posting however, is to mention a Catholic church in Cobb County that the others left out. St. Francis de Sales church in Mableton is an indult parish that offers mass and all the sacraments in the traditional latin rite.

No doubt, that is not everyone's cup of tea, but I strongly encourage all Catholics to visit at least twice. The first time is a culture shock. The second time, you know what to expect so you get more out of it.
St. Francis De Sales Atlanta's Catholic Latin Mass Community
I have neighbors that are Catholic and I'm in Powder Springs and I think they've mentioned that place. I'll ask them next time I see them what else there is in the area (he just had surgery so it'll be a few days).

One thing I learned long ago though is to just avoid conversations with neighbors about religion. The predominate religion around here in *most* (but not all) areas is Southern Baptist. Sometimes of the "in your face with it" type. Others not so much. Either way, I've found that it's hard to have a civil conversation about "different views" when the folks at the other end of the table pretty much are convinced their views are the only right ones and you're just wasting air talking about yours, so, rule # 1... "wave at the neighbors, say hello, pet their dog, but AVOID politics and religion like the plague".

Old 06-18-2007, 10:42 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,722,635 times
I'm Catholic and live in Vinings. I go to St. Thomas the Apostle (off King Springs Rd). I personally did not like Holy Spirit the few times I went there. St. Thomas, though, has great masses and feels very comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta