Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

If you are a man who drives a TT, Beetle or Miata please step forward so I may publicly humiliate you and question the size of your testicles, as internet car forum tradition requires.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you're going to get an older one, get one with the V6. The earlier versions with the 1.8T only had 180hp while the V6 gave you 250hp, and an even bigger torque difference.
There was also a "high output" version of the 1.8 in the TT that made 225hp. That engine paired with the 6 speed manual was the fastest option. The 3.2 VR6 while making 250hp had a worse "area under the curve" and was only available with the DSG. The 225hp cars were about .4 seconds faster to 60 and the lighter motor was noticable upfront when pushing it.

A lot of the parts on the 225hp motor are the foundations of the 1.8T modding world. Those motors also respond very well to tuning and a simple chip can bump them to ~270hp and ~270tq on 93 octane. However, the 3.2 VR6 has become VERY popular as a platform for aggressive modding on the older TT's. There are guys with turbo kits easily hitting 420+hp and running sub-4 second 0-60's. Those things are monsters.

I've owned a 2004 TT Roadster Quattro with the 225hp engine and 6-speed manual for about a year or so now. I picked it up dirt cheap and took care of several minor issues. I've done some minor mods including a tune and dyno'd it at 290hp to the wheels. It's a blast to drive and I could care less about the fact that the styling is a little "soft". Of course, I also used to race in spec Miata so I have positive feelings on many of the supposedly "girly" cars. For whatever reason I have always liked those cars. I am currently toying with the idea of taking it more extreme with an APR Stage 3+ kit with a goal of hitting 360hp to the wheels on pump gas.

I really like the new TT and the direction they have taken it. The Cayman S was always something I wanted to own and it would be possible in the next couple of years. However, the current TT RS is a much more compelling package and I would take one of those hands down. Do people seriously look at these and go "girl's car"?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Well it is a VW beatle ...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you are a man who drives a TT, Beetle or Miata please step forward so I may publicly humiliate you and question the size of your testicles, as internet car forum tradition requires.
My name's NJGOAT and I have a 2004 Audi TT Roadster. I also used to race in spec Miata.

Seriously, anyone who thinks this isn't "man enough" has never actually raced...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I just don't think it is for very tall guys.

I had a TT, loved it dearly. But my even taller ex looked inappropriate in the car. Just too massive for the little windows, low roof and seats. I had the car lowered and put big rims on.

Nicest and most fun car I ever owned.

Not sure if I would take anything seriously from a guy who calls himself GOAT

Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
No, it isn't a chick car. It is just for the kinder gentler auto aficionados. The more refined ones that after a through trashing of the auto on some twisty road for 5 or 6 hundred meters stop for a cup of chamomile and honey. It was such a trying time after all, you can tell by the nearly rubbed off nubbies on the tires.

Just kidding. First rule, if you're going to drive one wear a double layer pink shirt because someone is going to say something. Still kidding.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My name's NJGOAT and I have a 2004 Audi TT Roadster. I also used to race in spec Miata.

Seriously, anyone who thinks this isn't "man enough" has never actually raced...

Let's make a deal. I'll let you off the hook, just as long as you don't tell anyone that I've been driving around in a bright blue Nissan Versa with tampons in the glovebox while my wife drives around in the Challenger.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I just don't think it is for very tall guys.

I had a TT, loved it dearly. But my even taller ex looked inappropriate in the car. Just too massive for the little windows, low roof and seats. I had the car lowered and put big rims on.

Nicest and most fun car I ever owned.

I'm 6'4" and while it takes careful selection of seating position, I fit and can drive the car just fine. I much prefer to drive with the top down though as the "gun slit" style windows make it feel a little claustrophobic when you're tall.

As for the GOAT part, that was in honor of a car that would leave these guy's grunting like Tim Allen and screaming "Git R' Done" like Larry the Cable Guy...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Oh, but you would if you were a classic muscle car fan!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Let's make a deal. I'll let you off the hook, just as long as you don't tell anyone that I've been driving around in a bright blue Nissan Versa with tampons in the glovebox while my wife drives around in the Challenger.
Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi