Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I despised mine. Once they have a few miles on them they begin to have one issue after another. And while the interiors are nice when they are new, they wear horribly and will begin to show their age rather quickly. I'd suggest googling Audi A4 complaints before jumping in. My last one was extremely expensive to maintain. It caused me to swear off German built automobiles completely.

I had simple things happen. Sunvisor clips break, arm rest latch break, sunroof switch acting up and causing the sunroof to open and close randomly. The plastic is cheaply made and breaks after a couple of years. My dipstick tube broke off when I tried to check the oil. (Its more common than you think)

If you read the post from pretendingtowork, he even said that his dad would have issues and go buy a new one. Me personally, I buy a vehicle for comfort and reliability. If it keeps having issues I'll stop buying them.
Right or wrong, Americans can have enough of them, in spite of all problems. And they aren't cheap either. How can you explain this? Another import brand with poor reliability is Range Rover. Same as Audi, I am amazed how many RR I see on the road. Cost: $60K-90K. The only luxury brand with excellent reliability is Lexus and their sales are down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you want reliability buy a Lincoln (yes I was surprised too). As far as German reliability goes, the Audi is ever so slightly ahead of BMW. I can't personally speak about the A4 though - sorry.

FWIW:

http://www.fastmotoring.com/wp-conte...raph-420x0.jpg

2014 Audi A4 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual True Cost to Own
that's an old list.

Here's 2014

Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
It's not actually all that confusing or complicated. Instead of following the maintenance interval on the car that wants an oil change every 15k miles, you do it at 5-7000 like everyone else. Instead of "lifetime" fluids, you replace them every 40-60k miles. These are things you should be doing with any car, but these cars are more sensitive to neglect. If you're the type of person who just wants cheap transportation that'll only require gas and oil changes, look elsewhere. But if you enjoy driving and aren't afraid to do some wrenching yourself, they can be a good option. I readily admit that they're not for everyone.

I bought a new M3 and the service was covered by them for the first 4 years. I did exactly what you note above, thinking 15K oil changes was insane, I would change the oil in between but not reset the service indicator so when 15K came around it would call for service and they would do that oil change for free.

This was an issue on the early Mini Cooper S also, long oil change intervals would allow low oil and owners wouldn't check it because the dealer would take care of the service for free so many folks got lulled into not checking anything under the hood.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:30 PM

25 posts, read 40,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VMan View Post
I am in the market for a 2014 Audi A4. Everything I've read points to this car being very fun to drive with a very nice interior. The concerns I have are around reliability and repair costs. Just want to get some "real world' feedback from others who may own one or have owned one in the past. Thanks in advance.
I drive a 2013 Audi A5 (same 2.0T engine - just a 2 door instead of 4 door) and have loved every minute of it. I am coming up on 10k miles and so far no problems.

For repair costs, I would highly recommend you get the Audi Care maintenance package they offer at the dealership. Cost varies from dealership to dealership and year to year, but I have heard anywhere from $750-$940 and that will cover all your services at Audi up to the 45k mile service. (Audi's scheduled service is 5k, 10k, 25k, 35k etc. etc. so every 10k miles except the first one which, by the way, is free).

Now here are the approximate cost breakdowns for the scheduled services at the dealership if you wanted to pay for each separately:

5k: complimentary
15k: $300-$400
25k: $250-$350
35k: $600++
45k: $500+

I have heard the Audi Care can pay for itself in the expensive 35K service alone, so I would definitely look into it.

Owning the car beyond 60k+ miles, you may run into reliability issues and very expensive repairs. Personally, I am leasing my car and turning it in at 36k miles.

Overall though, it's a great car to drive, sleek and stylish interior, gorgeous exterior (I get compliments daily). No regrets and no problems here 1 year later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi