Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:54 PM

37 posts, read 124,481 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a 2014 Audi A4. Everything I've read points to this car being very fun to drive with a very nice interior. The concerns I have are around reliability and repair costs. Just want to get some "real world' feedback from others who may own one or have owned one in the past. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM

231 posts, read 379,216 times
My dad has one and loves it. He hasn't had any issues yet. He had a 2008 that started giving him issues so he got the 14. Before that he had an 02 which started giving him issues so he got the 08. He loves the A4...gotta be some reason for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
I despised mine. Once they have a few miles on them they begin to have one issue after another. And while the interiors are nice when they are new, they wear horribly and will begin to show their age rather quickly. I'd suggest googling Audi A4 complaints before jumping in. My last one was extremely expensive to maintain. It caused me to swear off German built automobiles completely.

I had simple things happen. Sunvisor clips break, arm rest latch break, sunroof switch acting up and causing the sunroof to open and close randomly. The plastic is cheaply made and breaks after a couple of years. My dipstick tube broke off when I tried to check the oil. (Its more common than you think)

If you read the post from pretendingtowork, he even said that his dad would have issues and go buy a new one. Me personally, I buy a vehicle for comfort and reliability. If it keeps having issues I'll stop buying them.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,878,204 times
As with many Audi, MB, and BMW cars reliability is pretty awful outside of the 0-35k mile range where many owners return their leases or sell for another new one. I bought low mileage used BMW a few years back to see if the complaints of German reliability were being exaggerated and like clockwork mine started having issues. My friend didn't get another Audi after he sold his A3 for similar reasons. I have a feeling that most of the people who have great experiences with Audi/BMW/MB don't stick around for the issues to crop up as they tend to lease or sell for another new one.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,209,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VMan View Post
I am in the market for a 2014 Audi A4. Everything I've read points to this car being very fun to drive with a very nice interior. The concerns I have are around reliability and repair costs. Just want to get some "real world' feedback from others who may own one or have owned one in the past. Thanks in advance.
If you want reliability buy a Lincoln (yes I was surprised too). As far as German reliability goes, the Audi is ever so slightly ahead of BMW. I can't personally speak about the A4 though - sorry.

FWIW:

http://www.fastmotoring.com/wp-conte...raph-420x0.jpg

2014 Audi A4 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual True Cost to Own

Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,209,223 times
Also:

Audi A4 - reliability rating -- An used car - TV reports

Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 PM

545 posts, read 1,475,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
As with many Audi, MB, and BMW cars reliability is pretty awful outside of the 0-35k mile range where many owners return their leases or sell for another new one. I bought low mileage used BMW a few years back to see if the complaints of German reliability were being exaggerated and like clockwork mine started having issues. My friend didn't get another Audi after he sold his A3 for similar reasons. I have a feeling that most of the people who have great experiences with Audi/BMW/MB don't stick around for the issues to crop up as they tend to lease or sell for another new one.
Maintenance is the key. I've had an Audi, and currently have two BMWs. I sold the Audi, a '00 A4 1.8 quattro, with 234k miles on it. One of my current BMWs has 210k miles on it. I won't say they've been trouble free, but the problems I've had have mostly been normal wear and tear items (cooling system hoses, wheel bearings, suspension bushings). Keep up on the maintenance (in the case of BMW go over and above their recommended maintenance intervals) and they're usually fine. I wouldn't buy an off lease car either. Private party with documented maintenance is best. If you're not willing or able to do some repairs or maintenance yourself, don't bother. The dealers will take you for everything you have. Parts for these cars are readily available from a number of online sellers and there are good online communities for both. Audis have gotten much better as far as reliability in recent years.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times
Amazing their 2.0T is rated at only 220HP.

I'd personally go for an Infiniti Q50. Much better looking. A4's are a woman's car, IMO.

Amazing these cars don't have cooled seats, remote start, heated steering wheel.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian571 View Post
Keep up on the maintenance (in the case of BMW go over and above their recommended maintenance intervals) and they're usually fine.
Yes, just what a car owner wants to do... go above and beyond what is prescribed by the manufacturer. And if the mfg's recommended maintenance is inadequate, where does one find the correct schedule? Now, there is research and tribal knowledge involved. You are quite right, that's what it takes to keep a german car running but what a waste of time and energy and a source of aggravation.

OP, lease it or find something else.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:00 PM

545 posts, read 1,475,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Yes, just what a car owner wants to do... go above and beyond what is prescribed by the manufacturer. And if the mfg's recommended maintenance is inadequate, where does one find the correct schedule? Now, there is research and tribal knowledge involved. You are quite right, that's what it takes to keep a german car running but what a waste of time and energy and a source of aggravation.

OP, lease it or find something else.
It's not actually all that confusing or complicated. Instead of following the maintenance interval on the car that wants an oil change every 15k miles, you do it at 5-7000 like everyone else. Instead of "lifetime" fluids, you replace them every 40-60k miles. These are things you should be doing with any car, but these cars are more sensitive to neglect. If you're the type of person who just wants cheap transportation that'll only require gas and oil changes, look elsewhere. But if you enjoy driving and aren't afraid to do some wrenching yourself, they can be a good option. I readily admit that they're not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi