Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 AM

375 posts, read 1,575,832 times

Advertisements

I had my 2004 A4 in my dealership to fix some noise and they got into an accident with it while test driving it. As you may know the east coast got a lot of snow which was the cause of the accident. The front left side got hit by another car that couldnt stop at an intersection due to the road condition.

The car isn't crushed or anything like that. It looks like it's mostly body damage at the point of impact. The head light, the bumper, part of the hood, front left quarter panel. The air bags deployed so the impact must have been significant. I'm not an autobody expert, but I would say cost will be at least $5K.

Now, as expected, the dealership will pay for the repair caused by the accident and they gave us a loaner car until everything is fixed. But for some reason, I feel like something more should be done. What do you all think? Do I have a case to make any additional claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
If they are taking care of it all and supplying you with a loaner, what more do you want?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
As an employee at a dealership (I haven't asked, but this is my knowledge), the liability of the dealership is restricted to restoring the auto back to the condition it was in when you brought it to them for repairs. The signature you gave to the service advisor pretty much gives them the authorization to do that.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
The techs have to drive a car to find the noise. They also have to drive it afterwards to make sure they fixed the noise. Sounds like it was not the techs fault. The dealer is doing what they can do, and a loaner car at that, if you aren't happy with the car once it is fixed, keep complaining.Unfortunately accidents do happen, especially with the snow.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:04 AM

253 posts, read 1,181,591 times
I would also ask for the diminished value of the car - assuming the damage is extensive enough that the day before it was wrecked you could have theoretically traded it in for more than you could after it has been repaired, b/c the wreck will show as part of the cars records. Every time I have been in an accident (some severe rear ends where I was stopped and the other person was flying), I have been able to get the car repaired as well as received a check for the diminished value. Not sure if that is the law in all states, and I've been told that it is not required to be offered, that you have to know to ask for it.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Yes, they are taking care of it, and I certainly don't want to make any outrageous claims. But the car was accident free before this happened (2004 AUDI A4 with about 60K miles) and they say the car is never the same after something like this happens. And I'm concerned about any future side effects.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
I had my 2004 A4 in my dealership to fix some noise and they got into an accident with it while test driving it. As you may know the east coast got a lot of snow which was the cause of the accident. The front left side got hit by another car that couldnt stop at an intersection due to the road condition.

The car isn't crushed or anything like that. It looks like it's mostly body damage at the point of impact. The head light, the bumper, part of the hood, front left quarter panel. The air bags deployed so the impact must have been significant. I'm not an autobody expert, but I would say cost will be at least $5K.

Now, as expected, the dealership will pay for the repair caused by the accident and they gave us a loaner car until everything is fixed. But for some reason, I feel like something more should be done. What do you all think? Do I have a case to make any additional claim?

What else do you want? A Happy Meal?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
I would also ask for the diminished value of the car - assuming the damage is extensive enough that the day before it was wrecked you could have theoretically traded it in for more than you could after it has been repaired, b/c the wreck will show as part of the cars records. Every time I have been in an accident (some severe rear ends where I was stopped and the other person was flying), I have been able to get the car repaired as well as received a check for the diminished value. Not sure if that is the law in all states, and I've been told that it is not required to be offered, that you have to know to ask for it.
That's what I was thinking but could not articulate. Thanks. I don't think I would be out of line to ask that.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
What else do you want? A Happy Meal?
dont be an arse

Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
dont be an arse
Lighten up!

But seriously, what else would you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi