U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
 
575 posts, read 1,136,783 times
Reputation: 409

Advertisements

I have an Audi A6 Avant which i owned since purchased new in 2000. I never have a ticket nor accident during my entire 28 years of driving. However, just last night for no particular reason the airbag suddenly on while driving with my wife and kids out for Xmas shopping. It is bothering to see that faulty light as i am sure there is nothing wrong with my car.
Are there any German tech out there have any clue and did you go about to clear it without an arm or leg at the dealer?
Any info would be appreciated... Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,569,470 times
Reputation: 7604
I have the same problem with my 01 audi. Mine went on when my original battery went dead. The car sat for a day in -10 cold before I could replace the battery and apparently that was enough to fry the airbag controller or it lost it's memory.

I believe there are two different controllers, one for the airbags in the dash and doors and another for the seats.

I've been told with mine it's likely the dealer can reprogram the controller. However in your case the controller probably went bust and you'll need a new one. I've heard almost $1800 for replacement. And I've been told in an accident the airbags may or may not go off.

I've actually had the problem since Jan 2007, but since the Audi dealer is two hours away it's a pain to get down there. It's on my "to do" list. I tried to have it fixed locally but it's a dealer only item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
 
10,719 posts, read 17,699,556 times
Reputation: 10193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
I have an Audi A6 Avant which i owned since purchased new in 2000. I never have a ticket nor accident during my entire 28 years of driving. However, just last night for no particular reason the airbag suddenly on while driving with my wife and kids out for Xmas shopping. It is bothering to see that faulty light as i am sure there is nothing wrong with my car.
So your saying the computer is lying to you? How can you be sure there's nothing wrong, none of what you say in your post is at all relevant to the problem, the airbag light is on, you have a problem with the system, you need to get it looked at. I can never understand the conclusions people come to. The light is there to alert you of a problem, turning it off is not the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times
Reputation: 11576
There may be a problem, however, before having an SRS system problem diagnosed, I would recommend disassembling the positive battery connections from the positive battery terminal (including anything that connects close to the battery), cleaning each connection, reassembling, and seeing whether the lamp extinguishes. If you are unfamiliar with this process, don't try it.

In my experience, SRS malfunction indications can be overstated or misreported by the system as a result of outside factors. Sometimes the malfunction doesn't relate to the actual issue. Keep in mind that the SRS system is usually inactive while the lamp is illuminated. This is something that pays to diagnose and repair if you are unsuccessful in extinguishing the lamp yourself in a short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,569,470 times
Reputation: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
So your saying the computer is lying to you? How can you be sure there's nothing wrong, none of what you say in your post is at all relevant to the problem, the airbag light is on, you have a problem with the system, you need to get it looked at. I can never understand the conclusions people come to. The light is there to alert you of a problem, turning it off is not the solution.
The Audis from this era have a number of issues, some of which are benign in regards to the airbag light. One issue is the connectors under the seat which can get caught and pulled apart sometimes just adjusting the seat.

Most likely in his case the controller has gone bad which is a pain in the ass because you have tear into the lower dash board to get at it.

Yes sometimes the Audi computer lies to you in the sense it is just about the most sensitive system out there. Even getting low on washer fluid the system screams and beeps at you and the big warning light makes it look like your car is going to explode. I've owned 2 A4's since 2001 and it's a rare moment when there are no warning lights on the dash and everything is quiet.

They are great cars for long trips and for driving and getting around in, but they are whining little ******* and a pain to work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 05:22 AM
 
10,719 posts, read 17,699,556 times
Reputation: 10193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The Audis from this era have a number of issues, some of which are benign in regards to the airbag light. One issue is the connectors under the seat which can get caught and pulled apart sometimes just adjusting the seat.

Most likely in his case the controller has gone bad which is a pain in the ass because you have tear into the lower dash board to get at it.

Yes sometimes the Audi computer lies to you in the sense it is just about the most sensitive system out there. Even getting low on washer fluid the system screams and beeps at you and the big warning light makes it look like your car is going to explode. I've owned 2 A4's since 2001 and it's a rare moment when there are no warning lights on the dash and everything is quiet.

They are great cars for long trips and for driving and getting around in, but they are whining little ******* and a pain to work on.
I understand all of that, but the OP needs to have it checked, not just assume there's not a problem, that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 AM
 
Location: FLG/PHX/MKE
7,288 posts, read 13,490,578 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The Audis from this era have a number of issues, some of which are benign in regards to the airbag light. One issue is the connectors under the seat which can get caught and pulled apart sometimes just adjusting the seat.

Most likely in his case the controller has gone bad which is a pain in the ass because you have tear into the lower dash board to get at it.

Yes sometimes the Audi computer lies to you in the sense it is just about the most sensitive system out there. Even getting low on washer fluid the system screams and beeps at you and the big warning light makes it look like your car is going to explode. I've owned 2 A4's since 2001 and it's a rare moment when there are no warning lights on the dash and everything is quiet.

They are great cars for long trips and for driving and getting around in, but they are whining little ******* and a pain to work on.
Excellent summary.

Audi's slogan used to be "the art of engineering which I referred to as the "art of overengineering". Overengineering has positive and negative effects. Audis are not good cars for someone with an appreciation for simplicity, or frugality. However, they are excellent cars for people who enjoy the feeling of driving a car, as opposed to just operating one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Acres
1,777 posts, read 4,175,464 times
Reputation: 883
Airbag system warning indicators turn off only when the hard-fault has been resolved. In other words, you have to fix what's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,569,470 times
Reputation: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Excellent summary.

Audi's slogan used to be "the art of engineering which I referred to as the "art of overengineering". Overengineering has positive and negative effects. Audis are not good cars for someone with an appreciation for simplicity, or frugality. However, they are excellent cars for people who enjoy the feeling of driving a car, as opposed to just operating one.
They have a lot of upsides and mine have always served me well for many hard winters, however for that overengineering a lot of basics are hard fixes. Changing the battery is one that nearly broke my love affair with Audi. The battery in mine is jammed at the base of the windshield under the hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
 
575 posts, read 1,136,783 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have the same problem with my 01 audi. Mine went on when my original battery went dead. The car sat for a day in -10 cold before I could replace the battery and apparently that was enough to fry the airbag controller or it lost it's memory.

I believe there are two different controllers, one for the airbags in the dash and doors and another for the seats.

I've been told with mine it's likely the dealer can reprogram the controller. However in your case the controller probably went bust and you'll need a new one. I've heard almost $1800 for replacement. And I've been told in an accident the airbags may or may not go off.

I've actually had the problem since Jan 2007, but since the Audi dealer is two hours away it's a pain to get down there. It's on my "to do" list. I tried to have it fixed locally but it's a dealer only item.
I just bought what they called an VW/Audi airbag/service reset tool on Ebay for $63 which cleared the fauty code. I knew it was an error because my kid was swinging hard left and right on her car seat when i was driving which triggered the airbag light to go off. There are 2 airbags in the back seat one on each side. Don't laugh at me but i do understand how my car behave lots more than my dear wife. I am glad i solved the problem.
You should get yourself one of those on ebay if you suspect it is an error... I would try it before even consider bring it to Audi dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top