Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM

52 posts, read 110,500 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to try something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 AM

998 posts, read 1,548,968 times
Try fujiyama... it's beside rhinehart's on Washington Road. Early bird specials if you get there early make it even better on the wallet. They cook it in front of you like the other traditional japanese restaurants or you can sit in another section and have it brought to you from the kitchen.

It's good food, trust me. Without having to wait or pay a little extra like you would at Fujiyama.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:47 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,098,981 times
Okay, this is one of my specialties. Japanese food is probably my favorite of all and I've ate at tons of them. Here is how I would rate the ones in the CSRA.

1. Sakura (Aiken on Whiskey) - definitely the best in the CSRA. they have the best white sauce, food always seems to be of better quality, rice has "extras" in it like onions, egg, carrot, etc., and you get 2 butterfly shrimp before the meal (along with expected soup/salad).

2. Omakase (Augusta on Washington) - best in Augusta to me. The owner is the former chef at Kobe Japanese in Aiken (see below), Chef David David. Food is really good and you get complimentary spring rolls here. Tied with Miyabi's in terms of atmosphere- very nice. Home of the "Monster Sushi Roll" food challenge. Good white sauce.

3. Kobe (Aiken on Pine Log) - really good but I always find the servings to be a great deal smaller than other Japanese steakhouses. Also a good deal smaller in size than most.

4. Kurama (Augusta next to Country Club on Washington) - not one of my favorites at all. The location, first of all, is really odd to me...no one is gonna fill up on *** food then drink beers and dance at the CC. One odd thing they serve with their food is grilled cabbage (or is it bean sprouts? I can't remember)- it isn't really good. Food quality has been off each time I have been and the place is always HOT inside- seems like poor ventilation. Nasty white sauce.

5. Miyabi (Augusta off Wrightsboro) - probably the nicest building and nicest interiors of all...but definitely the worst food. Food is always tough and of poor quality. Prices are much higher without any added quality to the meal...no extras like shrimp, spring rolls, etc are provided. The rice is really bad and is just plain rice fried up on the hibachi...no flavor at all.

I haven't tried Fujiyama because a) I have heard 3 bad reviews and b) Omakase is in throwing distance from it. However, this won't stop me from trying it soon.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:54 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,693,927 times
I was just going to recommend Sakura but SeaSpur beat me to it, it's definitely one of the best (if not THE best) in the CSRA.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 AM

77 posts, read 157,782 times
has anyone tried the one in kroger shopping center where 5 guys is located? used to be kobe, then changed in only a few months to miyaki or something like that?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footdock View Post
has anyone tried the one in kroger shopping center where 5 guys is located? used to be kobe, then changed in only a few months to miyaki or something like that?
Haven't tried it yet but hope too soon. I've also never tried the one next to Firehouse Subs off Washington Rd near Bobby Jones.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM

998 posts, read 1,548,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Haven't tried it yet but hope too soon. I've also never tried the one next to Firehouse Subs off Washington Rd near Bobby Jones.
That's Mitsu or Matsu Sige... completely forgot about that one.

It's pretty good but a little smaller and different than the others mentioned in that everything is cooked and brought out to you... not in front of you.

But the food every time i've been there is great, sushi too.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 AM

77 posts, read 157,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
That's Mitsu or Matsu Sige... completely forgot about that one.

It's pretty good but a little smaller and different than the others mentioned in that everything is cooked and brought out to you... not in front of you.

But the food every time i've been there is great, sushi too.
Yeah, I like Matsu Sige too. If I feel like traditional sushi, this is where I go in Augusta, if you like "westernized" sushi, then everyone goes bonkers for taco sushi which feels like you are dining in a closet.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footdock View Post
Yeah, I like Matsu Sige too. If I feel like traditional sushi, this is where I go in Augusta, if you like "westernized" sushi, then everyone goes bonkers for taco sushi which feels like you are dining in a closet.
maybe so, but that Crazy Roll is VERY hard to resist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area