Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times

Advertisements

Well.....I520 is only 2.5 miles up Doug Barnard Pkwy from the Airport....and Doug Barnard has partial control of access...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Well.....I520 is only 2.5 miles up Doug Barnard Pkwy from the Airport....and Doug Barnard has partial control of access...
I agree with the above points and Doug Barnard is undergoing a $3 million construction project...
http://www.augustaga.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2768

On a side note... The city approving to build 1,000 parking spaces seems to be a separate project..

Airport parking lot expansion to begin | The Augusta Chronicle
The project will cost $4.5 million in airport capital funds, but airport management says the project will pay for itself from generated parking revenue in the next four to six years. Construction will be in the field directly behind the Augusta Regional Airport sign and flagpole. The project will be completed in phases, the first being a long-term parking lot that is estimated to be finished in October. The entire project is expected to be finished by February.

The expansion also includes a ready-return lot for airport rental car companies. The groundbreaking ceremony will be at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the construction site.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
LOL ... i love the logic of you Augusta people. You have a Williams-Sanoma and a PF Changs and MIGHT be getting a Costco and brag about what a superior city you are to Savannah, but when it comes to air travel you're so far in the dust its pathethic.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL ... i love the logic of you Augusta people. You have a Williams-Sanoma and a PF Changs and MIGHT be getting a Costco and brag about what a superior city you are to Savannah, but when it comes to air travel you're so far in the dust its pathethic.
I don't remember anyone saying Augusta is superior because it had those stores/restaurants.. I do know those options tend to open in metros with certain size populations..

There's no might and the land is already cleared.. Not to mention some of the electrical work around the site starting in January.. Costco wouldn't have announce plans to break ground next month... Or presented the site plans to the city last week to be approve it they didn't intend to build a store.....

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-10-2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
That's all fine and good Nortonguy, but why the constant need to compare Augusta to Savannah? YOU are the ONLY PERSON on this site with such an inferiority complex. Nobody is arguing that Augusta is not the seccond largest metro in Georgia as defined by the Census bureau, so why do you constantly feel the need to remind people of that? And not just in the Augusta forum, but in any forum where Augusta is mentioned -- quite often in threads that YOU create?

I mean, the whole "Augusta is getting a Costco" thing is stupid: COSTCO IS JUST A STORE! How many Sam's Clubs does Augusta have (Savannah has 2)? How many Super Walmarts does Augusta have (Savannah has 6)? How many movie theaters (there are 7 different milti-screen theatre complexes in Savannah). How many daily nonstop flights does Augusta have to major U.S.bcities (Savannah has 50 to 14 cities). How many hotel rooms does Augusta have (Savannah has twice as many).

Does any of these mean that Augusta or Savannah is a bigger or more dynamic market? NO -- it's just whatever the market demands/supports. It's apples and oranges. And your constant Augusta cheering makes you -- and your city -- look very boorish and provencial. It's embarassing.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Lol, When do I constanly comparing Augusta to Savannah? If people in Augusta want to compare cities they usually use the city of Columbia.. Actually it seems you have the inferiority complex... The only time Savannah was mentioned in the entire thread was twice... When Hot Mike asked ''Where does Augusta Regional rank amongst the rest of GA's airports?'' I replied Savannah was second in the state of GA in terms passenger per year... The other time Savannah was mentioned was when RiverDawg asked '' Has anyone been to Savannah's Airport?''... Outsideperspective posting a link showing the statistics on the airport in Savannah..

You're posting on a thread in the Augusta forum concerning our airport.... And you're bringing up you're air travel, number of Walmarts, movie theatres, and Sams Clubs in the city.. How can you blame somebody else for having a inferiority complex or always comparing Augusta versus Savannah. But then proceed to make this statement after Savannah hasn't been mentioned since page 5(1/25/2011 or almost two months ago) and this is now page 7(3/10/2011) ''LOL ... i love the logic of you Augusta people. You have a Williams-Sanoma and a PF Changs and MIGHT be getting a Costco and brag about what a superior city you are to Savannah, but when it comes to air travel you're so far in the dust its pathethic.''

I didn't even bring up Savannah in this thread nor do I hardly ever... Augusta getting a Costco store is stupid? Didn't you create a thread about Savannah getting a new Walmart? I'm not posting in the Savannah forum and telling you the thread you created on Savannah getting a Walmart is stupid.. And LOL why do you care about a thread or threads in the Augusta forum? Plenty of people have commented on the Costco thread so it obviously isn't stupid to everybody.. You also keep reminding us Savannah has the largest tv market and when it's combined with Beauford county, Fort Stewart, and Hinesville it's the largest metro..

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-10-2011 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Quote:
That's all fine and good Nortonguy, but why the constant need to compare Augusta to Savannah? YOU are the ONLY PERSON on this site with such an inferiority complex. Nobody is arguing that Augusta is not the seccond largest metro in Georgia as defined by the Census bureau, so why do you constantly feel the need to remind people of that? And not just in the Augusta forum, but in any forum where Augusta is mentioned -- quite often in threads that YOU create?

I mean, the whole "Augusta is getting a Costco" thing is stupid: COSTCO IS JUST A STORE! How many Sam's Clubs does Augusta have (Savannah has 2)? How many Super Walmarts does Augusta have (Savannah has 6)? How many movie theaters (there are 7 different milti-screen theatre complexes in Savannah). How many daily nonstop flights does Augusta have to major U.S.bcities (Savannah has 50 to 14 cities). How many hotel rooms does Augusta have (Savannah has twice as many).

Does any of these mean that Augusta or Savannah is a bigger or more dynamic market? NO -- it's just whatever the market demands/supports. It's apples and oranges. And your constant Augusta cheering makes you -- and your city -- look very boorish and provencial. It's embarassing.
There's a big problem when we start bragging about Walmarts. I know the people on the Atlanta forum are laughing at us........Anyways, I'm for the Costco forum. Simply because everybody has a Walmart, but they don't have a Costco. For Costco, along with Bass Pro, to be looking at Augusta, it could be a sign of things to come.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM

After setting a record year in 2010, the airport traffic is up almost 30% this year.. It's not a big surprise since American Eagle didn't starting flying out of Augusta until the end of July 2010...

The $4.5 million parking expansion broke ground yesterday at the AUG Regional... Phase 1 four hundred spaces: Phase 2 two hundred spaces and a ready-return lot for airport rental car companies ....

Other additons will include: New restaurants and bars inside the airport, and new business lounge. May 1st larger Delta jets will take off from the airport. They’ll have first class service, and daily flights to Atlanta.

Out Of The Park At Augusta Regional Airport | WJBF

More Changes to Augusta Airport in Addition To Parking | WJBF

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-17-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

115 posts, read 243,771 times
Quote:

Someone is definately hating right here. People from Columbus, Savannah and sometimes even Macon come to the Augusta forum just to bash. I mean I see Columbus1984 on this forum just as much as he is on the columbus forum. Don't get me wrong all of Ga's cities have their own thing going for them, but it just seems like they have a vendetta against Augusta for some reason. Columbus1984 I just joined the army and even some buddies of mine say they rather be stationed at ft gordon then benning. You ask why because according to them Columbus is much more boring than Augusta. I'm sorry but I'm more willing to take the advice of army veterans v.s. a cheerleader ( as you put it so many times) for columbus. Wow columbus has the aflac building ( WoW big deal). P.s. Macon does feel more like a city than Columbus.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:54 AM

It seems the actual construction on the parking expansion won't start until after masters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area