Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,684 times

Advertisements

Oh, this building.

Don't know whether to adopt a dog or film the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel.

Seriously, why on Earth doesn't someone take care of that place? Cut some of that brush down, rip down the trees creeping up the side of the building, redo the fence, slap a new coat of paint on it, put a nice sign on the building, line the parking lot, and landscape the exterior/entrance.

I think it is the worst looking public building I've ever laid eyes upon. It is very creepy looking...something you see in a scary film or have nightmares about. Reminds me of an old insane asylum (maybe it was?).

Who is in charge of fixing that place up? I would even be interested in organizing a volunteer effort to give a go at touching the place up...I can't blame anyone for not wanting to get a dog from there- the dogs just look pitiful outside in that yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,761 times
I think it used to be the County Jail back from the pre-consolidation days...I've always thought it looked a lot like the Wax Museum from the House of Wax horror movie lol

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM

19 posts, read 40,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Oh, this building.

Don't know whether to adopt a dog or film the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequel.

Seriously, why on Earth doesn't someone take care of that place? Cut some of that brush down, rip down the trees creeping up the side of the building, redo the fence, slap a new coat of paint on it, put a nice sign on the building, line the parking lot, and landscape the exterior/entrance.

I think it is the worst looking public building I've ever laid eyes upon. It is very creepy looking...something you see in a scary film or have nightmares about. Reminds me of an old insane asylum (maybe it was?).

Who is in charge of fixing that place up? I would even be interested in organizing a volunteer effort to give a go at touching the place up...I can't blame anyone for not wanting to get a dog from there- the dogs just look pitiful outside in that yard.

Hello Seaspur,
I havent been to this Humane Society yet, but I was a volunteer and foster mommy for the one in el paso for a few years. Most everything from washing the pets and cages to building and lawn maintainance is done by volunteers and donations. they are ALWAYS looking for volunteers. You mentioned volunteering..."To volunteer, come to a new volunteer orientation the first or third Saturday of any month at 9 a.m".

Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 PM

40 posts, read 92,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Oh, this building.

Funding, funding , funding. Good for you for seeing a tough situation and being willing to participate in a remedy. They so need volunteers. Some really terrific people go as often as is allowed to walk those guys-there are some very nice dogs in there. Met a very friendly largish black dog on the Dogs Gone Cold Run a few weeks ago that a volunteer brought to that benefit event. I believe it is a no-kill, so a lot of the residents have been there for quite a while. Please give one a home if you can, despite the Stephen Kingishness of the building!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
I'm sure this Humane Society as many others are faced with the heavy financial burden of keeping it up and running housing many many homeless animals. The income is most likely used to care for the animals thus leaving no money for a facelift? How wonderful would it be for volunteers to organize the essentials of getting the outward appearance of this building somewhat uplifted! I have met many wonderful volunteers as well as lovely dogs from this Society, these dogs and cats need loving nomes despite the outward appearance of their shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area