Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 34,572 times

Advertisements

After moving from Colo and sailing for a couple years my husband and I ended up in Florida. Now we don't want to go back to snow and we're considering visiting and maybe even a relocation in the near future. We like the housing and climate in the Evans, Augusta Georgia area, but I'm wondering about how conservative the political and religious beliefs are. I like to eat a healthy diet (haven't had fried chicken 25 yrs ago), exercise 5 days a week, and vote democratic - would I be at risk of losing my life. Is this a live and let live place, or will people be in your face in terms of their beliefs and thinking you should live by them too?
We're most interested in Evans because of the size, and Martinez is also a possibility.
Thanks for any input you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
I would say it's more of a live/let live town. Although, YMMV. I have heard a few people complaining of being ignored by conservatives, but I have never experienced that. I'm sure it has alot to do with the fact that we are a young military couple- I'm not sure how it would be outside of that comfort zone. I've lived in Martinez btw.

The close proximity to the base and people from all walks of life will make it an easier place to live as opposed to other cities in GA. Hope to have helped some.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 34,572 times
Smile Augusta, Evans Matinez Georgia Area

Were you referring to Matinez or Evans, as far as live and let live? or both. I didn't realize that there's a military base - where exactly is that located? And also, I'm new to this forum (what does YMMV and btw mean)?
Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 PM

25 posts, read 171,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifenow View Post
After moving from Colo and sailing for a couple years my husband and I ended up in Florida. Now we don't want to go back to snow and we're considering visiting and maybe even a relocation in the near future. We like the housing and climate in the Evans, Augusta Georgia area, but I'm wondering about how conservative the political and religious beliefs are. I like to eat a healthy diet (haven't had fried chicken 25 yrs ago), exercise 5 days a week, and vote democratic - would I be at risk of losing my life. Is this a live and let live place, or will people be in your face in terms of their beliefs and thinking you should live by them too?
We're most interested in Evans because of the size, and Martinez is also a possibility.
Thanks for any input you may have.
Evans is a very nice town, Ga. is a RED state now, everyone is friendly and you won't have problems, we just purchased some lake front property in Lincolnton on Clarkshill lake, I'm originally from NJ, my wife a native Miami Fl. girl, go for it! We are vegetairns as well, like to go to the GRIT in Athens, we live close by there now can't wait to build in Lincolnton.
Dave

Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifenow View Post
Were you referring to Martinez or Evans, as far as live and let live? or both. I didn't realize that there's a military base - where exactly is that located? And also, I'm new to this forum (what does YMMV and btw mean)?
Thanks again!
Sorry about the abbreviations.

YMMV- your mileage may vary...meaning your experience may be different from mine. Ft Gordon is located in Augusta GA. Martinez is a couple of minutes away, and Evans is even further, but it's still close by. (BTW is by the way)

To get an idea, on I-20, Augusta/Ft Gordon is Exit 194. Make a left, you are in Martinez, make a right you are in Augusta headed to Ft Gordon. To get to Evans, you would drive through Martinez about 10/15 mins then you'll arrive in Evans.

From what I've seen of Evans, it is very quiet and full of homes. There are more stores opening up though...like Target, etc.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:41 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,429 times
You are talking about one of the most Conservative areas of Georgia, where they still consider The Catholic Church a cult. I really don't see someone like you being happy in the Augusta area. If you are a health nut, forget Augusta. The people are mostly fat and unhealthy. Most of the restaurants are chains and buffets. I would suggest Athens. It is smaller than Augusta but far more cosmopolitan.. I would liken it to a mini Austin, TX. It is the home of The University of Georgia. The city is very progressive and health concious with numerous parks and biking trails. Athens also has a lot of good locally owned restaurants serving healthy food.. there are several vegetarian restaurants. The realestate prices are about the same as in metro Augusta. The great part is that you are only an hours drive from Atlanta and the mountains.. which make great last minute getaways. Augusta is more isolated from the rest of the state. Athens is more tolerant and open to new ideas.

If you are a Democrat.. Stay VERY FAR AWAY from Evans or Martinez.. You will absolutely HATE it! I lived there.. trust me. If you are not a ultra conservative Republican and a Southern Baptist. you will never be accepted in Columbia County. YOu would feel right at home in Athens. It has a great downtown (very european).. tons of restaurants, pubs, galleries, etc. It is very Democratic and progressive. The mayor is a woman ( a democrat too)... The university always has cultural activities going on... Columbia County and Augsuta is a cultural wasteland.

Last edited by xxman777; 08-03-2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Merged

Old 08-04-2007, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 112,222 times
Seems like every post Ive seen on these forums by you is bashing Augusta^^
Sorry you had a bad time there, I lived there for 10 years and ended up liking it quite a bit.

I believe Evans was voted in the top 20 best places to live in the USA by Forbes magazine. It IS conservative....I mean we are talking Forbes magazine here, and one of the main arteries in Evans is called Ronald Regan Parkway, but it does have a large mixture of people and beliefs....not all of them ultra conservative southern baptist fundamentalists! In fact, a friend of mine lived in a subdivision in Evans that was mostly Asian. Plus there are LOTS of people from different areas of the country who have settled there.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:32 AM

52 posts, read 204,540 times
I didn't mind augusta at all in my four years stationed there. Yes, there are alot of military which keeps the city alive, and yeah, some can be really big *******s. As far as political views, I don't see anybody bashing one another because of views, I mean, everybody there had them, on war, on presidents, on everything. You might want to check out grovetown, which is a much smaller town just down the road (10-15 minute drive), but they are right, some days augusta feels like a dying town. I've liked the small towns in the area though, because theres not all the hustle of a big city...the only time its a big city life in augusta is when the Masters (golf) comes through in april.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 AM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 123,792 times
augusta is a fast growing city, you'll have a pleasant time there

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM

100 posts, read 425,010 times
Augusta is a great city! It's getting better. Evans/Martinez is a very nice area as well. It does tend to be conservative. Not at all what "disgusta" makes it seem to be though. To me all politicians are liars,LOL and I am republican. Athens, is to much of a party town- college students-

Lincolnton is very nice- small, but growing FAST too. I am eyeing it myself actually. I like to be in the country and near water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area