Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's one that has been killing me. Augusta has all these projects and construction going on. I don't know about you guys but seems time for a new tallest building, maybe one 30 to 40 floors high, what do you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
Idk if the demand is there for one that big, but maybe a 25 floor one could happen...especially if it was mixed use, like level 1 retail, levels 2-10 office, and levels 11-25 residential.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM

91 posts, read 243,981 times
a 30 to 40 story office building in the city at this time depress the commercial market in this area for years. I agree with Eastside maybe if it was mixed use or somr type of condo hotel combo but that is highly unlikey also in this economy.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM

115 posts, read 243,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Ok, here's one that has been killing me. Augusta has all these projects and construction going on. I don't know about you guys but seems time for a new tallest building, maybe one 30 to 40 floors high, what do you think.
When we get get a couple more thousand people in augusta (especially downtown) then there will be bigger buildings. Right now we have medium sized buildings for a medium sized population. Still i feel like the skyline is impressive considering our population. Columbus ga has almost the same polulation and doesn't even have a comparable skyline to ours. Even Savannah who is way more popular than augusta, doesn't really have a skyline. The only city in ga outside atlanta that has a skyline close to augusta is macon.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Basicly whem columbia county starts getting bigger buildings, then richmond county will too. Or the opposite could be true.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-town706 View Post
When we get get a couple more thousand people in augusta (especially downtown) then there will be bigger buildings. Right now we have medium sized buildings for a medium sized population. Still i feel like the skyline is impressive considering our population. Columbus ga has almost the same polulation and doesn't even have a comparable skyline to ours. Even Savannah who is way more popular than augusta, doesn't really have a skyline. The only city in ga outside atlanta that has a skyline close to augusta is macon.
But our buildings are taller . Everything depends on demand and land value. I don't see a 30 story building being built outside of Atlanta for a long time.

Last edited by Columbus1984; 04-08-2011 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM

91 posts, read 243,981 times
Quote:
the amount of people living in a given area does not determine the need for a highrise unless it would be for residential purposes, some type of office highrise would require an expanding business with a need for more space or a relocating business to the area to fill the capacity of a new highrise downtown were talking in the range of 30plus stories that would be 300,000 to 900,000 sqft of available office space depending on the floorplan of the building.
The only way I could see it working is if it were some type of condo/ hotel or condo/ office.
Floor 1 - retail
floor 2 - 10 parking garage
floor 10 - 22 office or hotel
floor 22 - 30 residential

Augusta could maybe support another building in the range of 10-15 floors anything more would be overdoing it

Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Stats View Post
the amount of people living in a given area does not determine the need for a highrise unless it would be for residential purposes, some type of office highrise would require an expanding business with a need for more space or a relocating business to the area to fill the capacity of a new highrise downtown were talking in the range of 30plus stories that would be 300,000 to 900,000 sqft of available office space depending on the floorplan of the building.
The only way I could see it working is if it were some type of condo/ hotel or condo/ office.
Floor 1 - retail
floor 2 - 10 parking garage
floor 10 - 22 office or hotel
floor 22 - 30 residential

Augusta could maybe support another building in the range of 10-15 floors anything more would be overdoing it
Yep, but Augusta's skyline is good for a city of its size. Plus Augusta is bigger than alot of state's capitols. Columbia county alone is about the actual size of Athens ga if not bigger. Believe it or not when suburbs ( columbia county, Aiken county) starts growing the actual city ( Augusta) benefits and grows also ( however slow it may be). I'm not hating on any other second tier city in Ga, but their suburbs are not growing nearly as fast. I mean both columbia and Aiken county are over 100,000 strong in population. In time the surburbs will be denser (more closer to edge cities) and counties like burke and mcduffie will start growing rapidly also. But I have to give it to Macon, Columbus and Savannah because their suburbs are getting bigger too, but they are still behind Augusta's.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
But our buildings are taller . Everything depends on demand and land value. I don't see a 30 story building being built outside of Atlanta for a long time.
Are you serious??? There's ONLY five buildings over 10 stories tall???

Augusta
RiverPlace Condos 18 floors
Wells Fargo 17
Lamar building 17
St. John's Tower 15
Ramada 14
Marriott 11
Peabody Apts 11
SunTrust 11
Marion building 10
Ervin Towers 10
RC Courthouse 10
Maxwell House apts 10
Eisenhower Hospital 10
401 10
Signal Courthouse 10
Tallest skyscrapers | Emporis.com

Columbus
Aflac 19
Muscogee Courthouse 13
Ralston Towers 12
Ralston addition 10
Corporate Center 10

And before the recession hit the Watermark had two 12 story condos, two large hotels, etc located in downtown Augusta.. The two skylines would have been even more further apart from each other... There's still a 8 story Hyatt Place hotel and Holiday Inn Express planned for downtown and the Medical District..

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-09-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
Was driving down US1 at I520 in NA towards downtown today, and I must say that Augusta does have a pretty decent looking downtown skyline for a city its size.

Also, I think we can stop bringing up the Watermark considering it has been dead for years, not on hold, but dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area