Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

The DDA meeting from April disucssed alot of the great things taking place downtown.. I've reported on the Lofts at Marbury, Emporium, Whites Building, 8th street Bulkhead stage, Broad street lighting/camera/sidewalk project, and the James Brown Boulevard streetscape project before.

The DDA meeting mentioned four other GREAT projects underway.. The former Belk building will make a great residential/retail project... The Central Business District, Harrisburg, or Laney Walker could all use a new grocery store.. A few years ago discussions were held on building a new shopping center along James Brown Boulevard in Laney Walker...
Powered by Google Docs

1. The DDA is working on code issues with prospective new owners of the old Belk's next to the Augusta Common.. An announcement is coming in the future.
old Belk building | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/durhamskywriter/3891126869/ - broken link)
James Edward Oglethorpe Statue on the Augusta Common | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstephenconn/3236944704/ - broken link)

2. The Faulk Building located on Broad street is under contract and went through inspections.. I think it's the building below..
augusta ga 1248 broad street - Google Maps

3. The Energy Audit Application was submitted to Green Fund for the Elliot building..

4. The DDA along with the help of Blanchard and Calhoun are working on recruiting grocery stores.. Both Kroger and IGA have made site visits..
They're continuing to work with three more potential brands with sites in Laney Walker and towards Harrisburg...

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-10-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
The old Belk building lends itself to significant reuse given its location adjacent to Augusta Common. Plus there should be some tax credits potential developers could get for rehabbing a historic property.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times
Wasn't the Belk building supposed to be torn down to make way for the Hyatt hotel?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:55 AM

The site of the Hyatt, underground parking deck, and 3 story commercial or office building is located at the corner of 9th and Reynolds streets..

I believe the old city police department is the only building being demolished..

Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM

The site plan for the Hyatt has it fronting the common, where the Belk building is.

http://media.graytvinc.com/documents...inal+Plans.pdf

Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 AM

I can't find one article mentioning the Belk building being demolished.. The quote below was taken from the Chronicle.

Until then, workers cannot begin to demolish the old city police department that sits on the site of the proposed hotel at the Ninth and Reynolds street intersection with the trade, exhibit and event center and its parking lot.

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-11-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Just telling you what the plans show...

Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
The belk's building is on the broad street side of the commons and the Hyatt will hopefully, someday, maybe... be on the reynolds street half of the commons and the corners of 9th and reynolds. Nothing on Broad will be touched. Just like how the new parking deck went up w/o touching the WAGT building or former WAGT building anyway. Stick a restaurant that opens up to the commons with outdoor seating and it would do just fine imo or something that would go hand in hand with the future existence of the Hyatt on the other half of the property... what exactly that is??? I dunno.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 PM

Ah, I get you...

However, the Belk building must go all the way from Broad to Reynolds? So only half is being removed (the part in the photos norton posted)? IDK, all I know is according to the site plan, the Hyatt will front the common and whatever that skinny building is will be removed I guess...

Old 06-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Looking at the Hyatt site plans you posted earlier in the thread.. There's an alley located between Broad and Reynolds streets.. I looked at the Google Street view of Broad street facing the Augusta Common.. The Belk building seems to stop halfway between Broad and Reynolds streets....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area