Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,774,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
What charlotte have to do with augusta, they might night like baseball like Augusta.
False. They do. They have a minor league team that gets a lot of support, but that's very different than supporting a major league team.

Quote:
Just because augusta is a smaller city doesn't mean it want get support.
You're wrong. The team will NOT get enough support primarily because the Augusta area isn't big enough.

Quote:
Atlanta has 6mil plus in their metro but still couldn't support a NHL team why is that because they don't have enough fans that live in atlanta metro area.
Once again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about:

This isn’t about the fans or the market or certainly Gary Bettman’s fictional “covenant” with fans, which I believe he left in the same sock drawer with his conscience. It’s about greed and abandonment, plain and simple. It’s about a disingenuous ownership group, which had long lost any semblance of credibility, serving up fans swill and gruel and then wondering why the turnstiles sleep at night.

Thrashers, Atlanta were never given a chance by NHL, Spirit | Jeff Schultz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 AM

614 posts, read 1,094,392 times
This thread is exactly why I don't post as much as I used to. Some of the posts are just ridiculous. Don't be mad, it's just my opinion. Please stop putting Augusta in the same sentence as Charlotte, Raleigh and Birmingham. Augusta will never be any of those cities and Augusta will never have a skyline comparable to Columbia, Sc.

To prove my point I will be using the Augusta Commission and the Topic of the TEE CENTER.
1. Dysfunctional Commission-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vabGvm3FAR8
2.Deke "The Puppet" brings on a puppet
http://www2.wagt.com/news/2010/jan/2...tel-ar-689398/
3.Deke's puppet makes a boo-boo
http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2010/dec/1...ns-ar-1218660/
4.Puppetry Sabotage with a special appearance by Satan himself Fred "who me" Russell
http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/news/...r-study-flawed

TEE center feasibility study
http://www.augustaga.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2154
Relevant and spot on comments
http://forums.augusta.com/viewtopic....1c4fa27a7a4d49

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 AM

614 posts, read 1,094,392 times
First, I love Augusta. But I'm realistic. There's nothing impressive about downtown Augusta, so why does an interstate need to go beside it or through it? Second, can someone tell me why a company would spend 70-100 million dollars to build a tower in any part of Augusta?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
First, I love Augusta. But I'm realistic. There's nothing impressive about downtown Augusta, so why does an interstate need to go beside it or through it?
Has nothing to do with a downtown being "impressive." There are several cities out there with average downtowns with an interstate running beside or through it. But I honestly don't think it's a negative that Augusta doesn't have this.

Quote:
Second, can someone tell me why a company would spend 70-100 million dollars to build a tower in any part of Augusta?
They've got to have a need to do so and unfortunately Augusta is lacking right now when it comes to the sort of white-collar private sector growth that might cause one to be built. And you can get a decently-sized tower for less than $70-100 million.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM

120 posts, read 226,506 times
Gordon hwy is more than effective these no need for another hwy anywhere downtown, also Augusta doesn't need highrise Fortresses to be appealing to outsiders, what it does need is to continue street level or low to midrise development. Really do you want a big building taking up almost if not all of an entire block with no store fronts. Just drive down to 7th street and take a look between Broad and Reynolds and tell me what do you see. Wachovia building and no store fronts just an empty street used for parking.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta Native View Post
Gordon hwy is more than effective these no need for another hwy anywhere downtown, also Augusta doesn't need highrise Fortresses to be appealing to outsiders, what it does need is to continue street level or low to midrise development. Really do you want a big building taking up almost if not all of an entire block with no store fronts. Just drive down to 7th street and take a look between Broad and Reynolds and tell me what do you see. Wachovia building and no store fronts just an empty street used for parking.
You do have an excellent point. One thing that I can say is that when compared to Columbia, Augusta still has a good bit of its historic traditional storefronts intact which makes for a more synergetic and active street scene along Broad Street. Columbia knocked down a lot of their's for office highrises along Main Street, many of them with no retail use on the ground floor and that has hampered pedestrian activity. Thankfully two of the newer towers were built with ground-level retail use, but it still makes a noticeable difference.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

937 posts, read 1,790,704 times
Ugh yeaaaa I would rather have a big skyscraper than some darn trees and grass everywhere lol!! #imjustsaying !!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,680,845 times
trees=oxygen=life just saying...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
Ugh yeaaaa I would rather have a big skyscraper than some darn trees and grass everywhere lol!! #imjustsaying !!
If you ever be in atlanta go downtown at night then look up at the sky. You can't see any stars even on a clear night. That's what happen when you don't having any trees just tall skyline( pollution )

Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 PM

937 posts, read 1,790,704 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area