Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 12:50 PM

13 posts, read 30,318 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Augusta and Savannah next month to check out possible areas to relocate. I've been looking up informatioin about both areas, and my head is reeling with info overload! We don't know anyone in the area and coould really use a couple of ideas for places to start checking out while we're down there.

Are there areas of Augusta with properties that would fit the following crtieria? And which suburban/rural towns nearby would be best to check out first?

Lot size 1+ acre
1600+ sq house - fixer uppers are OK
Wooded lots
Nearby parks
Access to lakes or rivers within 20 minute drive or so

We have dogs, and I would like to raise a few chickens so we're looking for a quiet place that's not in a subdivision with a ton of rules and regulations. We just want a nice quiet place with lots of green around and a nice laid back lifestyle.

Are there any towns we should totally avoid because of crime, environmental problems, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,048,143 times
The city limits of Hephzibah(south of Willis Foreman rd) is growing fast and sounds similar to the criteria.. Very low crime rate, rural(4k people in 2010), quaint, and nearby parks(Diamond Lakes is huge).. Other possibilities include the city of Blythe, Mcbean area, and the extreme areas of South Augusta(Willis Foreman, parts of Brown rd, or Hwy 56/Mike Padgett and Peach Orchard south of Tobacco rd)..

Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 30,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The city limits of Hephzibah(south of Willis Foreman rd) is growing fast and sounds similar to the criteria.. Very low crime rate, rural(4k people in 2010), quaint, and nearby parks(Diamond Lakes is huge).. Other possibilities include the city of Blythe, Mcbean area, and the extreme areas of South Augusta(Willis Foreman, parts of Brown rd, or Hwy 56/Mike Padgett and Peach Orchard south of Tobacco rd)..
Thanks for that info! I did some real estate searches online in that area last night and found some interesting possibilities.

Anyone have any thoughts on Evans, Martinez, or Grovetown?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech2009 View Post
Thanks for that info! I did some real estate searches online in that area last night and found some interesting possibilities.

Anyone have any thoughts on Evans, Martinez, or Grovetown?
The criteria you chose is better situated for Grovetown.. The area around I-20 seems to be viewed as more desirable compared to the actual city limits of Grovetown.. Evans is a smaller version of West Augusta and Martinez is pretty much all suburbanized too..

Edgefield in Edgefield County, Graniteville in Aiken County, and Thomson in Mcduffie County could be a possibilites also..

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,344,383 times
Aiken SC is quite beautiful and fits the descriptions you stated

Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,140,131 times
Do you have kids?

I personally Like Evans, Martinez, and Aiken. Why We just bought in Evans. I did find homes in North Augusta SC and Aiken that fit your descriptions and was we really liked also but due to schooling we went to Evans.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,262 times
Why are so many homes for sale in the Springlakes subdivision? Is something wrong there?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,140,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanothermove View Post
Why are so many homes for sale in the Springlakes subdivision? Is something wrong there?
Do you mean the one in Martinez GA ,COLUMBIA County off S Belair Road? http://www.springlakes.org/about.htm

If you are, this is a guess. Martinez Elementary, Evans Middle and Evans High schools are the schools that are covered in that neighborhood and most homes are built in the 1970s. It has an HOA and some Amenities. The housing market right now the way it stands is New homes being built like wildfire in Grovetown go for around 65 to 75 a square foot , new. where as the resale home are listed around 85 to 100 a square foot. Combined Evans HS is considered the least desired HS on the CoCo district that maybe the only reason there is more in that neighborhood on the market for longer. This is just a personal guess as I am not a realtor or a market annalist.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM

I believe there's only one Springlakes neighborhood in the area.. There's a entrance on Columbia rd and one located on Flowing Wells road...

Evans HS is better than both Harlem and Grovetown.. Evans did suffer some because of the building of Greenbrier and Lakeside..

Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 PM

998 posts, read 1,544,351 times
I grew up in Springlakes in two different houses... their HOA is ridiculous, but it's an older neighborhood and you just can't compare these houses to the newer construction being done in the area. It was a very nice neighborhood back in the day, but it's just one of many now and has aged while first time buyers are seeing all the bells and whistles of the new construction. I wouldn't let that deter anyone from buying a house in there though, it's just a personal preference. There are some very nice houses in there and it still has it's positives over the new construction like: location, trees (new neighborhoods cut them ALL down), affordability, etc... even West Lake has a fair amount of houses for sale in there right now. Older vs Newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area