Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,355 times

Advertisements

My son is living with his father in Augusta Ga this year and he is attending Glenn Hills Middle. I would like to hear from people in the area about Augusta and the schools.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 03:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
I am very sorry to hear that. The public schools in Auusta have a very poor reputation.. and Glenn Hills is one of the worst. The best option in Augusta is to try and get your son into one of the magnet schools. These are public schools but you have to apply to get in. YOu have to meet a certain academic requirement (having good grades, etc). The two Magnet high schools are John S Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School and A. R. Johnson Magnet school for health sciences and engineering. As the names suggest... go for Davidson if your son is into the arts and A. R. Johnson if he is more gifted in math and science. John S Davidson is consistently rated as one of the best high schools in the country.Otherwise I would strongly suggest getting your son into a school in Columbia County.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 AM

71 posts, read 706,227 times
Default Augusta Schools

If you have read anything about Augusta here, you will know that Disgusta has a very negative view. That said, however, Glenn Hills does seem to be in the paper a lot. On the other hand, I have talked with parents whose children go to Glenn Hills and they are very pleased. I guess it depends on your view and who you talk to.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions and certainly don't alarm your son. You might want to suggest that the father speak with the school principal and share your concerns. If your son is mature and does well in school, he most likely will not experience any problems. If, however, he tends to follow or have difficulty choosing friends wisely, and does poorly in school, you and/or his father should be sure to stay in touch with the school and his teachers just to stay on top of things.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 123,850 times
if your child does his work, he will graduate. I know plenty of kids who graduated from glenn hills, then to go to college. Its not even a bad school, the media loves richond county when something happens oppose to columbia county. Kids in augusta graduate from laney & josey where kids growing up in a far worse living conditon than glenn hills.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,808 times
If a student does his/her work in ANY school they will very likely fare better than their peers who do not, but nonetheless the question of which school they will be better or worse off in still stands. To be relevant to the question at hand, you do not need to work with the Richmond County board of Education, as my wife does, but to track the local news archives on WRDW, the Augusta Chronicle and other local media to to be informed of the problems that plague the system. Sex scandals among the staff in some schools, allegations of misappropriation of funds, gang-related crimes on school property and failure of many schools in the system to make AYP are among some of the problems you will read about. As far as the Glenn Hills school zone, it lies in the South Augusta area, which statistically is at this time the highest in gang activity, crime and dropout rate in the whole county. Look it up.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,409 times
Sending your kid to a school like Glenn Hills borders on parental neglect. There is no way to sugar coat that school. It is one of the worst in the state.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csraresident View Post
If a student does his/her work in ANY school they will very likely fare better than their peers who do not, but nonetheless the question of which school they will be better or worse off in still stands. To be relevant to the question at hand, you do not need to work with the Richmond County board of Education, as my wife does, but to track the local news archives on WRDW, the Augusta Chronicle and other local media to to be informed of the problems that plague the system. Sex scandals among the staff in some schools, allegations of misappropriation of funds, gang-related crimes on school property and failure of many schools in the system to make AYP are among some of the problems you will read about. As far as the Glenn Hills school zone, it lies in the South Augusta area, which statistically is at this time the highest in gang activity, crime and dropout rate in the whole county. Look it up.
Go troll somewhere else. This thread is from 2007 and its 2009. You come make one post and bump a thread from over 2 years ago. The Detroit Pistons head coach Michael Curry. Graduated from Glenn Hills high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area