Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustabuckeye View Post
And at what cost for the tunnel? Looking world wide, costs average between $10-75 MILLION per lane per mile. Not counting the aquisition of roadway rights...

So figure a tunnel of three lanes each way (including a break-down lane) distance of 1.5-2 miles = ~$100 Million to $900 Million. I am guessing that money may be hard to come up with...
I plotted the course and it would only be 0.87 miles or 4,581 feet long. I think its possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

120 posts, read 227,599 times
Calhoun was originally planned to connect directly to I-20 paralleling Rae's creek running directly between the Augusta National and the Augusta country club at the time of its construction and 20 that's until the residents of W. Augusta and S. Aiken revolted thus the reason for the curve in I-20 just before Washington rd. and Calhoun's curve just before Washington rd. I-20 was originally planned to cut through the city and connect with Gordon/Aiken-Augusta hwy in downtown Augusta and follow US 1 through the Horse shoe creek valley to Aiken but all of this was scrapped and the present route was chosen.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta Native View Post
Calhoun was originally planned to connect directly to I-20 paralleling Rae's creek running directly between the Augusta National and the Augusta country club at the time of its construction and 20 that's until the residents of W. Augusta and S. Aiken revolted thus the reason for the curve in I-20 just before Washington rd. and Calhoun's curve just before Washington rd. I-20 was originally planned to cut through the city and connect with Gordon/Aiken-Augusta hwy in downtown Augusta and follow US 1 through the Horse shoe creek valley to Aiken but all of this was scrapped and the present route was chosen.
I new it had to be something that kept Augusta from growing earlier when it was in it prime.
That one bad decision cause downtown Augusta to look the way it did 5yrs ago but they starting to do some good things. What Augusta need is what we doing at my job something that call 5s.

1. Sort - the first step in making things cleaned up and organized
2. Set in Order - organized, identity and arrange everything work area
3. Shine - regular cleaning and maintenance
4. Standardize - make it easy to maintain simplify and standardize
5. Sustain - maintaining what has been accomplished

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM

92 posts, read 162,211 times
Norton I would have to say Columbia County did a nice job with the landscaping along Fury's Ferry Rd. The streetscaping was incorporated into the budget when Fury's Ferry Rd was widened several years ago. Columbia County had enough foresight to actually want to improve the appearance of this street and they didn't have to wait until private citizens came along to tackle the task
I think quality of life issues and planning are something Augusta really needs to do a better job with. Most every major street in Augusta is lined with poorly planned commercial developments, curb cuts every 100 feet or so, no landscaping, and excessive signage everywhere.I have never seen a street sweeper on an Augusta street. Does the city even own one?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
A while ago I proposed tunneling the Calhoun Expressway under the Augusta Country Club and connecting it to Wheeler Rd. I also proposed making Riverwatch a controlled access road with exits at Furys Ferry, Bastion and Alexander Dr, putting a raised median on Washington Rd with trees on it and widening Wheeler Rd from the Augusta Exchange to the Calhoun Tunnel( 4 lanes with raised median), and Wrightsboro Rd from North Leg to downtown( 4 to 6 lanes with raised median).
You must be a civil engeineer<spelled wrong I know. But that's actually what I was expecting. Whynot make riverwatch a controlled access highway. Id make augusta. look more like a city.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:21 PM

I am studying civil engineering and urban and regional planning.... I only want the best for my city. I can see potential in it so I plan out ideas to help it reach this potential. According to statistics, Georgia is slated to receive about 2 million more residents in the next 10 years, and I highly doubt that all those folks will settle in Atlanta. I think Augusta can handle most of the growth if its high speed highways are developed in a smart manner. I am trying to put the city on the map while others wish to see it crumble. Amazing how once the city starts to grow those who have left it, rotate back for jobs. Augusta has been the key to Georgia's success every since its founding. It is now our time to shine in the southeast and medicine, energy and the military is it.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:48 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
A while ago I proposed tunneling the Calhoun Expressway under the Augusta Country Club and connecting it to Wheeler Rd. I also proposed making Riverwatch a controlled access road with exits at Furys Ferry, Bastion and Alexander Dr, putting a raised median on Washington Rd with trees on it and widening Wheeler Rd from the Augusta Exchange to the Calhoun Tunnel( 4 lanes with raised median), and Wrightsboro Rd from North Leg to downtown( 4 to 6 lanes with raised median).
That what am talking about great idea. You think outside the box unlike the peoples on here that alway saying Augusta can't have or support something because they to small. Keep it up I hope your ideas come to life.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 36,740 times
Why not just get rid of the thing and replace it a regular surface road, similar to Broad Street, which runs perpendicular with it? Tear it up, replace it, and connect to Green Street. Its an old and ugly impediment to the growth of Augusta and surrounding Harrisburg. Augusta should join the growing movement of highway removal to limit waste and restore communities.

We don't need this specific expressway any more. Riverwatch Parkway has taken a huge amount of the load that it was originally built to handle. The remaining traffic could easily be handled by a replacement road that better connects the surrounding community.

The expressway was built in the early 80's, which means it will soon need major construction fixes. Instead of spending money of repairing and beautifying the expressway, beautifying a neighborhood connected road would have positive external effects for that community. It would also open up an incredibly isolated part of town, which would lead to higher property prices and tax income for the city. Studies show that property directly adjacent to expressways has far lower property prices than land located next to surface streets.

A new connection between the expressway and green street would also create a promising new utilization of the canal.
Attached Thumbnails
augusta what a shame the way the expressway and rd look-john-c-calhoun-expressway.bmp  

Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhsweetconcord View Post
Why not just get rid of the thing and replace it a regular surface road, similar to Broad Street, which runs perpendicular with it? Tear it up, replace it, and connect to Green Street. Its an old and ugly impediment to the growth of Augusta and surrounding Harrisburg. Augusta should join the growing movement of highway removal to limit waste and restore communities.

We don't need this specific expressway any more. Riverwatch Parkway has taken a huge amount of the load that it was originally built to handle. The remaining traffic could easily be handled by a replacement road that better connects the surrounding community.

The expressway was built in the early 80's, which means it will soon need major construction fixes. Instead of spending money of repairing and beautifying the expressway, beautifying a neighborhood connected road would have positive external effects for that community. It would also open up an incredibly isolated part of town, which would lead to higher property prices and tax income for the city. Studies show that property directly adjacent to expressways has far lower property prices than land located next to surface streets.

A new connection between the expressway and green street would also create a promising new utilization of the canal.

I have to say I agree 100%. The future of Augusta should be laid out in widening and beautifying its already existing streets, and combining and deleting narrow unused back alleys and streets. Good suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area