U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Location: West Augusta, GA, ATL, MIAMI, TAMPA, LA, HOUSTON, D.C.
88 posts, read 92,120 times

Advertisements

Augusta is experiencing more growth than ever this year. Augusta is Ga's second biggest city with a metro population of 535,000 ppl. Economist from the Terry College of Business predicted that in 2007, our region's economy would grow at a faster rate than the rest of the state. Southern Business & Development Magazine ranked augusta as one of ''The Top Ten Places in the South With Plenty of Talented Labor.'' The same magazine also ranked the 1700 acre Augusta Corporate park as one of the top ten supersights in the Southeast while recognizing the ADP announcement as one of the top ten economic development announcements of the year. Augusta was also featured as one of the nations premier places to retire in both the Wall Street Journal & Where to Retire Magazine. Georgia Trend, one of the states most highly regarded publications, recently ran a glowing article on Augusta & the progress our city is making. Just last month, the same magazine recognized Augusta as a Trendsetter city for the first time in our history based on our goverment's innovative public/private partnerships to run many local community centers. Evans a suburb of augusta was voted the 32nd best place to live with another suburb of augusta martinez also included in the top 50. Columbia county is one of the fastest counties in ga, our gwinnet county.I- 520, I-20, are being constructed on to become a spaghetti junction. I-3 & I-14 are still supposed to run through augusta. Metro Augusta is located on I-20 ga's most traveled interstate between atlanta ga & columiba sc. Augusta is 45 mins from columbia, 2 hrs from atlanta, 2 hrs from savannah, 2 hrs from greenville, 3 hrs from charlotte. Our central location is the main reason augusta still has its rail system in place. Amtrak visited recently to see the tracks between augusta & columbia, amtrak officials said they were very impressed

Just some of the new transportation projects to get a idea of all the growth in augusta
I-20/520 spaghetti junction
520 widening to south carolina
520 extending to south carolina back into I-20 called the palmetto parkway
I-20 widening to south carolina
Walton way overpass
Scott Nixon Memorial Drive grade seperation (bascially a bridge with on/off ramps almost like a expansion of bobby jones
St. Sebastian Way extension
Alexander Rd
Riverwatch pkwy
Windsor spring rd to hephzibah
Wrightsboro rd to grovetown
Fall Line Freeway (columbus to macon to augusta)
Savannah River pkwy (savannah to augusta)

Last edited by richmond county; 09-08-2007 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 02:19 PM

Augusta-Richmond county 210,000
Hephzibah 7,000
Blythe 1,000
Gracewood or Mcbean hundreds in population

Columbia County 111,000
Evans 70,000
Martinez 30,000
Grovetown 10,000
Harlem 1,000

Aiken County 145,000
Aiken 50,000
North Augusta 30,000
Clearwater, Edgefield, Beech Island,

Mcduffie County
Thomson 6,000

Burke County
Waynesboro 6,000

Other suburbs or towns
mccormick, warrenton, dearing, keysville, wrens, louisville, sandersville, lincolnton, washington, screven county,

Last edited by richmond county; 09-08-2007 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 04:51 PM

richmond county added 600 to 800 ppl in 06. Augusta 210,000

High Schools
Westside is in west augusta richmond county its basically a columbia county school since its students could go to evans, or lakeside because of where they live. ARC the school george washington graduate from is in west augusta. Laney & josey are downtown. South augusta schools are butler, glenn hills, then further out in south augusta near or in hephzibah are cross creek & hephzibah. Ct walker, davidson, ar johnson are great schools in the whole state of ga not just richmond county. A new magnet high school is being built in south augusta on deans bridge rd now. The county plans to build another high school in south augusta in the future probably near augusta tech

Just look at some of the projects for downtown

multil-million dollar library
convention center
2 10ft condos
18ft judicial center
whites building retail/residential
augusta canal
hotels, office buildings
multi-million dollar baseball stadium
Medical College of GA expansion
University Hospital expansion
new lofts/residential
Kroc Center in Harrisburg
Riverwalk Improvements
James Brown museum
plus downtown already has first friday a mard gras, arts in the heart, tour de georgia, boat races, bikes races, concerts, border bash, river blast, augusta futurity, national tatto expo, rafting, boat rides, kayaking, & more

Last edited by richmond county; 09-08-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM

726 posts, read 3,290,365 times
http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/DMGetDocument.aspx/2007Top25.doc?p=6CC6799F8C1371F671AF45C3EEFD306761 65A1D115B6CB8B5B6CEAE2179E2223&Type=D (broken link)

Old 09-09-2007, 02:15 AM

If you are considering moving to augusta. New homes in goshen & diamond lakes in south augusta. Homes in south augusta near hephzibah windsor spring/willis foreman area. In west richmond county a new neighborhood is being built everyday on belair/jimmie dyess area. Only 5 to 10 mins ffrom augusta mall & ft gordon.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,585,274 times
I would hardly consider Augusta a "booming" area. Sure the population did increase...very slightly.. after years of decline. The economy is still too heavily dependant on government related jobs.. and high paying private sector jobs are not coming into Augusta. Tech sector jobs are virtually non-existant in the Augusta area. The recently hyped up announcements of new jobs that are coming to Augusta are actually low paying service sector jobs (call centers, etc..... aren't those jobs typically farmed out to India??).

Old 09-09-2007, 02:23 PM

disgusta, i have lived in atlanta for 8 years now. When we visited augusta,& saw all the construction going on it sure did seem like a ''booming'' area. It seem like a mini atlanta with all the construction & grid lock on I-20. I really liked augusta alot

Old 09-09-2007, 02:43 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,585,274 times
Try finding a professional job in Augusta and you will think otherwise.. or visit the downtown (which mainly consists of boarded up storefronts) or all of the abandoned stripmalls on the southside and your mind will change.. Detroit has some new construction occurring in its suburbs too but I would hardly consider it a boomtown. There is a reason why so many young people who graduate from HIghschool in Augusta go outside the area for college and never return. Aside from jobs in hospitals.. there just are not a lot of professional jobs in Augusta.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:00 PM

dont mind disgusta, if its not a lot of professional jobs in augusta. WHY DOES Augusta has the second richest ppl behind atlanta in the whole state. Augusta has the second largest african-american market outside of atlanta in the whole state. Augusta State University just had its biggest set of freshmen this year. They built a new student housing complex, with plans to build another one. Paine College just recieved some money, they also had their biggest freshman class ever. Other colleges, gmc, augusta tech, aiken tech, savannah river college, & more. Richmond county median income was around 40,000. Columbia county was around 60,000.
Richmond county homes prices were 110,000
columbia county were 169,000

Augusta is growing fast everday, if you have ever taken real estate at UGA. yOU KNOW AFTER ATLANTA, WHAT CITY IS DISCUSS NEXT AUGUSTA OF COURSE.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM

I know plenty of ppl who stayed to go college in augusta. If ppl are going to college out of augusta its to atlanta not any other city. You can say that for any city in the whole south, theres kids from florida, or nc who go to school in atlanta. I guess that makes charloote, raleigh, tampa, or jacksonville not booming city either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or