Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend wants me to move to Augusta. I really don't want to be in Augusta or GA period, but I am trying to be open minded. I have decided to at least visit for the holidays. All I know about Augusta is that it is where the Masters takes place. I don't care for golf. What else is interesting about Augusta? Would it be impossible to adapt to living there coming from CA? I have nothing against GA, I find it beautiful location wise, but my experience in Atlanta turned me off. I hope Augusta will be better. My boyfriend is not from GA or Augusta, but he loves it there. I not going to convince him to move to the West Coast, or Southwest, where I would prefer to be. He's from Michigan, but loves the Southeast. I'm trying to put my negative experience in Atlanta behind me, and give Augusta a try. It just seems too drastic a change for me. More than even Atlanta was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The majority of people in Augusta don't play golf, but it's definitely apart of the local culture no doubt. IMO Augusta is the hippest city outside of Atlanta. The metro area tends to attract transplants from all over the united states, and overseas(high tech clusters)..

10 interesting things about Augusta(no particular order)..

1. Westobou(largest festival surpassing the Arts in the Heart)
Westobou Festival 2012 :: Augusta, Georgia

Westobou Ticket Launch Performance in Augusta - YouTube

2. Riverwalk

Augusta Riverwalk - YouTube

Augusta Riverwalk - YouTube

3. History
Walking Tours | Historic Augusta Preservation
Historic Trolley Tour of Augusta / Museums & Galleries / Things to Do / Home -

4. Arts in the Heart

Arts in the Heart Festival, Augusta GA - YouTube

5. Augusta Canal/boat rides
Welcome to the Augusta Canal - Georgia's first designated National Heritage Area

Augusta Canal National Heritage Area - YouTube

Old 11-24-2012, 05:23 AM

209 posts, read 607,062 times
Augusta is nice! We lived there for three years. I am from the northeast originally but had lived in the south before moving to Augusta. That said, it was still culture shock at first and I HATED it. Eventually, it grew on me and I really grew to appreciate it. I'll list some pros and cons.

Pros:

The things previous poster posted are fun to do, especially Phinizy Swamp Nature Park. Very cool. The weather, though killer hot in the summer, is great the rest of the year. Very little rain and sunshine almost daily. That is something I really loved about it. You can be out-of-doors most of the year to run, etc.

There is a niche there if you are artsy. Small, but a niche, especially for visual arts. Artist row, photography club types of things. Also there is a good amount of fresh produce available most of the year because the growing season is so long and it's so warm all year. Roadside stands, fresh eggs from the neighbor, fresh honey, etc., which was awesome and something I miss. These things you will have to make some effort to search out, but they are there.

The mall is nice. Very nice, higher end shopping, stores such as: Sephora, Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, Dillards, Macy's, J Jill, Apple, Coldwater Creek, etc. Nothing like, say, Charlotte with say, Ralph Lauren, but decent. Many good discount stores such as Christmas Tree Shops and Ross/TJ Maxx as well.

Cost of living: extraordinarily cheap, especially if you are from CA. Bonus! Money goes a long way there. I believe our wireless internet cost us twenty bucks a month. Now we pay almost 65. Our rent for a two bedroom house was under 600 bucks. Great deals to be had in housing and living expenses (except for AC bill in the summer.)

--People are generally, very friendly

--Excellent yoga studio in North Augusta (SC, just across the border) and equestrian community in Aiken (SC) if you are into either of those things

Cons:

--Far/long drive (about 2+ hours) to any major cities such as Atlanta or Charlotte which is annoying if you want to use a major airport or just do "big city" things for a day or two such as museums or zoos, or larger cultural scene. There are some of these in Aiken as well, but the real, true, "large city" feeling isn't anywhere nearby. Augusta is technically a "city" I believe, but I would say it feels more like a large town. There are no real skyscrapers and no subway, which is how I classify "city" myself. I'm a big city girl though. To me it felt fairly "country."

--Somewhat depressed economy depending on what field you are in

--Small cultural scene (but as I said it is there but you must search for it)

--Poor public transit (the bus system is pretty sorry and there is no subway to speak of so you will probably need 2 cars per family)

--Depending on neighborhood, fairly poor school systems (there ARE good schools but they would have to be searched out. If this matters to you do detailed research before selecting an area).

--Some crime but nothing like, say, a "real" city like NYC or Columbia, etc. Someone on here mentioned shootings. There are a fair amount but they are usually domestic. Some domestic battery and some drugs as well, but that is true with any place. It seemed to me like completely random crime was fairly low. I never really felt unsafe, but I also never did anything stupid (such as going to seedy areas of downtown at night alone, and we did not live in a seedy area--just be smart about selecting an apartment, etc in the first place). Have some street smarts and you will be fine. I personally would not call it high crime as sonme have said.

Neither pro nor con: Depending on your political views you may or may not agree with many locals on politics. It is fairly conservative but I wouldn't say it's preachy really.

Last edited by Kit624; 11-24-2012 at 05:33 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM

77 posts, read 157,875 times
I guess the best question to answer your question is? what was it about Atlanta that rubbed you the wrong way? Augusta probably is opposite, so you probably would like Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area