Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I doubt anyone actually leaves over the name of the school. Probably just scare tactics. If they do leave just because of the name, it goes to show how much they care about their education. JMO

Or they don't want to have this name on their diploma? It looks like an online degree mill... there are other quality universities around and close to Augusta to choose from. It could say that they very much care about their education actually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Walton Way campus could be site of growth for consolidated university, officials say | The Augusta Chronicle

Augusta State University could become the site of new dorms, parking decks and academic buildings to accommodate potential student growth from its consolidation with Georgia Health Sciences University, particularly freshmen living on campus, said facilities directors from the two universities. Ongoing studies and enrollment projections will determine what and how much will be built, but whatever is added will be in keeping with current architectural style and will not overwhelm the neighborhood, the officials said.

One concept that was included on several drawings had a deck, or possibly dorms, built into a hill in the campus’ southwest corner near the intersection of Arsenal Avenue and McDowell Street because it would help it blend in better, Ricketson said. “Because of the hill, you disguise the height of it,” he said.

Other plans include repurposing existing buildings, Howard said. Any new buildings will not tower over the surroundings homes, said Jennifer Smith, the director of planning, design and construction management at GHSU. “We are extremely sensitive” to the concerns of neighbors, she said. “Our goal would be not to go over four stories” tall, Howard said. None of the buildings currently on campus is taller than four stories, Ricketson said.

Another goal is to have new structures retain the architectural styles on the campus, such as white columns and certain roof styles, while also seeking to unify the campuses, Ricketson said. Originally, ASU planned to add 600 student beds, phasing in 200 at a time, Ricketson said. Any new beds will likely be phased in also, Howard said, and anything added will be done in a way that would not hinder future growth. Concepts for the Wrightsboro Road campus now appear to be limited to recreation areas, intramural fields and additional parking. Officials said those plans might involve the acquisition of more property along Wrightsboro Road and across Damascus Road.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-22-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Drawing of the ASU Summerville campus..

http://aug-cdn.com/sites/default/fil...o/11483131.jpg
http://aug-cdn.com/sites/default/fil...o/11483134.jpg

The generally area looks dense on paper, but the 4 story buildings(due to the location) won't make the area urban enough.. Luckily the CBD can allow taller buildings at the GGHF property..

Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Well I've pulled up every story I could find on Deke/GRU from all the local news agencies and I didn't see this as quoted from the mayor...
I was trying to find it myself, he also said he support the name since its a done deal and he use his favor line whatever good for Augusta is good for him.

I think the quote came from a interview with a wrdw reporter. That was when the merger was approve. He said I guess that answer the question about MCG moving to UGA. Why I will I make this up when I support him.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
I was trying to find it myself, he also said he support the name since its a done deal and he use his favor line whatever good for Augusta is good for him.

I think the quote came from a interview with a wrdw reporter. That was when the merger was approve. He said I guess that answer the question about MCG moving to UGA. Why I will I make this up when I support him.

Mayor Copenhaver is just running his mouth... there has been no indication whatsoever that MCG is moving to Athens, it's all speculation and none of it is factual. They're not going to move it to Athens and leave 100's of millions, if not billions of dollars of vacant academic buildings here in Augusta... many of them being fairly new.

I really don't care what the mayor says, he just wants to stay in good grace with Azziz to get that stadium on the GGHF site. He's a puppet for this debacle now and is showing his true colors once again... yellow.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times
Quote:
Or they don't want to have this name on their diploma? It looks like an online degree mill... there are other quality universities around and close to Augusta to choose from. It could say that they very much care about their education actually...

I still highly doubt anyone actually leaves over the name just because they don't like the way it looks or sounds. If the name sticks, people will get used to it. JMO

Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I still highly doubt anyone actually leaves over the name just because they don't like the way it looks or sounds. If the name sticks, people will get used to it. JMO

I'm just telling you what was actually said by students... If students don't like the way a school is being (or about to be) run, I'm sure they'd seek alternatives nearby and that's exactly what was said.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
PJA

Quote:
I'm just telling you what was actually said by students... If students don't like the way a school is being (or about to be) run, I'm sure they'd seek alternatives nearby and that's exactly what was said.
The school is about to be run better than it has been in the past, just look at the changes that are coming. People are trying to make a big deal out of this name, but in the end they will stay..just trying to use scare tactics to get their way.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The school is about to be run better than it has been in the past, just look at the changes that are coming. People are trying to make a big deal out of this name, but in the end they will stay..just trying to use scare tactics to get their way.

I was at the forum and the protest... opinions are one thing, actually seeing it is another. This isn't any type of scare tactic or show being put on. These kids and post-grads are serious... they don't like the guy, they don't like being lied to, they don't know what their diploma will mean after the name change and bottom line is... they don't trust him to lead in the future.

To say that the school will be run better than in the past based on the changes? What changes are you exactly referring to? The new construction and money coming from the BOR? If that's it... that has nothing to do with the day to day operation of the hospital and the administration running it, it just means that they got some money and some shiny new buildings.

Azziz is such a leader, that he has silenced virtually all his faculty about this process. "This conversation doesn't leave the room" kind of stuff according to a former ASU Dean... yea, I'd be worried about the future too with that kind of little dictator running around down on 15th Street.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
PJA

Quote:
I was at the forum and the protest... opinions are one thing, actually seeing it is another. This isn't any type of scare tactic or show being put on. These kids and post-grads are serious... they don't like the guy, they don't like being lied to, they don't know what their diploma will mean after the name change and bottom line is... they don't trust him to lead in the future.

To say that the school will be run better than in the past based on the changes? What changes are you exactly referring to? The new construction and money coming from the BOR? If that's it... that has nothing to do with the day to day operation of the hospital and the administration running it, it just means that they got some money and some shiny new buildings.

Azziz is such a leader, that he has silenced virtually all his faculty about this process. "This conversation doesn't leave the room" kind of stuff according to a former ASU Dean... yea, I'd be worried about the future too with that kind of little dictator running around down on 15th Street.
Enrollment will definitely rise, numbers are already up AFTER the name change was announced, so yes I believe its scare tactics.

Those changes are implemented by the BOR and Aziz (both of whom are responsible for the name) and I happen to like what I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area