Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,533 times

Advertisements

Wanna tell me how Richmond is unfortunately highest in almost every category in terms of incidents for the 4 major cities outside of Atlanta, yet safer as you say? Like I said, I don't believe the statistics. Some fuzzy math going on there.

GBI statistics 2012:

Bibb County (Macon) - pop. aprx. 155,000

Chatham County (Savannah) - pop. aprx. 278,000

Muscogee County (Columbus) - pop. aprx. 203,000

[b]Richmond County (Augusta) - pop. aprx. 202,000

Links aren't working for some reason.

Last edited by tckr83; 06-09-2014 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Tckr83... The posters Magician and PJA both disagreed with you concerning the Regency Mall area too and it wasn't only me...

I watched some of the Cops shows on Augusta and don't remember any of them revolving around violent crime.. The show Cops didn't even come to Augusta until this year.. Why did the longest continually running tv show wait until 2014 if there's all this action here compared to any other peer city?

The same way you claim I dismiss and downplay things about Richmond County.. I used to live in Columbia County and I never hear you mention anything negative about Columbia County.. I've never any seen you mention cross Ron Cross before on here, but you usually have something negative to say about Deke...

The local media reports the exact same developments I do and I don't control the local economy..

Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 PM

The 2012 estimate of Muscogee County is 198701 and not 203,000.... The numbers in some categories are different from the sheriffs office too.

Macon, Columbus, and Savannah had more crimes in different categories on your GBI link than Richmond in 2012, 2011, 2010. 2009, 2008, and 2007..

The GBI doesn't include arson, theft by taking, narcotics, child abuse/molestation, or the category other...

The GBI also didn't separate robberies and armed robberies or assaults and aggravated assaults..

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-09-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Tckr83... The posters Magician and PJA both disagreed with you concerning the Regency Mall area too and it wasn't only me...

I watched some of the Cops shows on Augusta and don't remember any of them revolving around violent crime.. The show Cops didn't even come to Augusta until this year.. Why did the longest continually running tv show wait until 2014 if there's all this action here compared to any other peer city?

The same way you claim I dismiss and downplay things about Richmond County.. I used to live in Columbia County and I never hear you mention anything negative about Columbia County.. I've never any seen you mention cross Ron Cross before on here, but you usually have something negative to say about Deke...

The local media reports the exact same developments I do and I don't control the local economy..

I guess you guys think that these guys walk around and ride bikes or something… the crimes I listed can all be reached in a minute or two from Regency mall by car. Like you said, that's your opinion. And the crimes committed in Southgate or Olive Road or Deans Bridge, cast a shadow over that area of town, including Regency. How does it not?

Episode is titled "hands off the junk" I never said it was violent crime, I said it was a vehicle pursuit… opening segment and was charge with motor vehicle theft, obstruction and theft by taking stolen property. But I guess a speeding SUV through a housing complex is normal for you, if the driver had hit a pedestrian it would've been pretty violent. Don't you think? It was a boring chase for him, you can hear it in his voice and he said as much, because he's been in so many on that end of town. I dunno, call COPS and find out why they haven't been yet. Probably because they didn't expect it to be as such with "statistics" that say otherwise? It's not like it's L.A. or Vegas or Chicago… I'm not gonna go back and forth about it, that's what they said. Hate it doesn't fit with your M.O. on here, but it is what it is.

I've made over 800 something posts on here over many years… I don't remember everything I've said. But you of all people on here should know that I'm not gonna sweep stuff under the rug. I guess me ripping the Riverwatch Expansion into Columbia county as a waste the other day doesn't count? Kay Allen should be in jail and Ron Cross is a moron if you want to know however… my opinion on waste and corruption doesn't stop at the county line, unlike some people. I have something negative to say about Deke because I believe Augusta could do better… my bad as a lifelong Augustan for wanting a mayor with a backbone, better school systems, a competent governing body with accomplished people in positions of power and an infrastructure to make other cities jealous. You'll find that no matter where I live, I refer my hometown as Augusta. I'm not a "hater".

So you posted the articles about the hyatt place wondering what the heck happened to it? You refer to them far more often than they are rarely if ever published about except for the always popular Augusta.gov planning site. But that's not what I asked you to begin with…

Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The 2012 estimate of Muscogee County is 198701 and not 203,000....

Macon, Columbus, and Savannah had more crimes in different categories on your GBI link than Richmond in 2012, 2011, 2010. 2009, 2008, and 2007..

The GBI doesn't include arson, theft by taking, narcotics, child abuse/molestation, or the category other...

The GBI also didn't separate robberies and armed robberies or assaults and aggravated assaults..

I don't care what the population is, the website I was on listed it as such… not really the focus here.

The link you posted about Durham lists consolidated Augusta, almost if not all the other cities listed are city propers... MUCH smaller areas, most likely more urban with higher crime rates and hence the higher values you're looking for in other cities of comparison. The Augusta numbers will be diluted per 100,000 than if it were the original Augusta city limits which would cause the violent per crime numbers to rise… and isn't really an apples to apples comparison. Bottom line is consolidation can play tricks with these numbers, with Augusta having so much land area under consolidation, the less dense and less likely to have violent crime suburban/rural sprawl is counted as though it was similar to the dense urban areas of the other cities listed.

And the metro analysis says more about the surrounding areas in comparison to the central hub than anything else… You and I know the areas outside Richmond are going to bring those numbers down.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:29 PM

Augusta was still safer than Durham even when they consolidated the city and county together.. The numbers for Augusta would be even lower if you consolidated Augusta with the entire county(Hephzibah, Blythe)..

Augusta(not including Hephzibah or Blythe)= 299
Durham county= 642
Durham city= 717

I don't know if the violent crime rate in Aiken county or even Burke is much different.. And every city has suburban counties that help bring the crime rate down.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 PM

568 posts, read 698,552 times
Includes consolidated data for Augusta and Richmond County

Noted in the referenced website... http://www.dcvb-nc.com/cr/2012_crime_comparative.pdf

Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Augusta was still safer than Durham even when they consolidated the city and county together.. The numbers for Augusta would be even lower if you consolidated Augusta with the entire county(Hephzibah, Blythe)..

Augusta(not including Hephzibah or Blythe)= 299
Durham county= 642
Durham city= 717

I don't know if the violent crime rate in Aiken county or even Waynesboro is much different.. And every city has suburban counties that help bring the crime rate down

Even Durham is a bad example… you're comparing a region of 750,000 people in the CSRA (just to make the populations closer) to an area that is one of the fastest growing regions in America in the North Carolina Research Triangle, a metropolitan region with over 2,000,000 people. It's more dense man and you know how that effects crime rates 9 times out of 10. If we had a list of some consolidated cities of similar populations and demographics, then we'd be onto something perhaps.

If you look at that chart in the Durham link… Augusta is so far down the line graph, it's applying for Sainthood. I'm not buying it man. And I know the numbers for Augusta would be lower if Hepzibah and Blythe were in there, that's kinda my point on how the numbers are skewed b/c a lot of areas are being counted that aren't normally considered in a city limit and are low-crime suburban/rural areas.

I wouldn't say every city, but it definitely helps Augusta's numbers. If Aiken is anywhere close to Augusta per 100,000 city proper… I'd be shocked.

Didn't mean to get worked up and hope nothing personal, I just think Augusta as the centerpiece to the area has more potential than what it has achieved. That and I'm running one hour of sleep in the last 36 hours due to a teething one year old. I'll just have to disagree on Regency, although I think it's going to sit there for a long while in its current state.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:30 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
The latest appraisel of the property from the city's GIS system has the land and building costing more than $ 2.5 million. It's no where near the $50 million the owner wanted. Commissioner Bill Lockett is thinking that the city should use imminent domain and force the owner to sell through the court system.

"They haven't done anything constructive. maybe we need to do that. i wouldn't be reluctant to do that at all," said Commissioner Bill Lockett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area