Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 PM

472 posts, read 809,575 times

Advertisements

Interesting that they threw red into the mix. GHSU's colors were navy blue and Augusta State had a lighter blue. It makes me wonder if the GHSU-UGA merger may be closer than expected. Apparently, UofA(University of Augusta..not Alabama) was the more popular pick for names, yet Georgia Regents University was chosen.

I'll be glad if it'll happen. Standalone health science schools are so rare these days. I'll also be glad that Michael Adams WON'T be in office to see the merger go through. Fingers crossed on his replacement. By God we need it. I was curious as to why UGA College of Pharmacy had set up such a satellite campus in Augusta. Now it's all starting to make sense.

I don't think Augusta residents have much to worry about. GRU(the merger) is going to be beneficial for Augusta. The name is more of a southern small town cultural entitlement than an actual importance to the city or student's well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Those supporting Georgia Regents University will be sporting blue and silver gray next year. But for at least the rest of this academic year, fans will still cheer on the Augusta State University Jaguars.
New school colors, logo and seal chosen in survey | Mobile Augusta

Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 PM

Since they sold the Greenjackets ball team that tell me that Augusta going to get a football stadium in the near future. I its right for North Augusta to build a baseball stadium and GRUA build a football stadium and a new arena. Also they need to redesign the 13 th street bridge so it can handle the traffic when both GRUA&North Augusta takes off.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
I have a plan I have working on for a while. If you look at it deeply and intelligently you will see the reason behind my madness.

The red line is Interstate 63, bypassing downtown - 6 lanes
: As you all know, I have designed Interstate 63 to connect Tallahassee FL to Valdosta to west of Statesboro to Augusta to Greenwood SC to Greenville/Spartanburg to Asheville then Knoxville. An additional connector will connect Interstate 63 to Savannah finally connecting Augusta to Savannah.

The light blue line is Interstate 163 - 6 lanes through downtown, 8 through Harrisburg, 4 for the 13th street connector : This connects the fast growing Columbia County to downtown and Interstate 63. The 13th street bridge would become and exit to connect North Augusta to Interstate 163 and downtown.

The yellow is the upgraded Gordon Connector - 6 to 8 lanes: This is an upgraded fully limited access 6 to 8 lane highway that will connect all the arterial highways in Augusta into one freeway to downtown.

With the campuses. I firmly think to have a better tomorrow, we must encourage schools like Paine and GRU to expand and grow. In the attached map I have highlighted what I call common sense expansion for both schools. The west campus for GRU can easily be expanded with the Patch struggling, the First Tee near and the numerous failing business along Wrightsboro Rd near the campus, GRU should capitalize on this and expand.

GRU: I have drawn a map with GRU expanding to include the Patch, First Tee and empty lots of land. I have also highlighted future athletic venues and their possible location.

My plan would widen Wrightsboro from Interstate 520 to Jackson Road to 6 lanes and a raised median from Barton Chapel Road to Damascus Rd. The plan would also widen Damascus Road from Wrightsboro Road to Highland Avenue to 4 lanes with a raised median.

Why this location for athletic venues?

Location is the key to the success of a venue. Think about this where do most of the fans of GRU, ASU and GHSU live, not to mention this site is much more centered than downtown and would offer plenty of land for expansion. In my opinion these two sites offer the best chance for success. Nothing against downtown, but the land is already there. If you look at NC State in Raleigh, where is it's stadium located?

Paine College expansion: Augusta has long planned to remove much of it's old railroads. In this plan Paine can really only expand south and the old train depot would offer plenty of room for a stadium and class and residential space. With the 15th street widening project, all that would really bring the area out is to lower the 15th Street bridge to ground level. It would create an amazing atmosphere of education in an area of town that for years have been known for crime. It would also attract more business such as retail and with the residential project at Sunset as well as the many new homes being constructed in the area, it would be a huge shot in the arm for the city.
Attached Thumbnails
Georgia Regents University Augusta-plan-.png  

Old 12-18-2012, 02:36 PM

What about the VAR can you connect to downtown North Augusta without going on riverwatch pwy or i20.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
What about the VAR can you connect to downtown North Augusta without going on riverwatch pwy or i20.
You can if you take I-20 to Martintown Road. I-163 would make that trip much faster with no traffic stops.

I didn't see the I-20 part sorry. If you go out the way you can take Washington Road all the way to the Calhoun Expressway, then Greene Street to Gordon Hwy and on to North Augusta.

Last edited by therealpattman; 12-18-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Guys comment on Dichloromethane's thread if you have any input. We're getting a lot of discussion about GRU, but not much about the students. I'm sort of curious

GRU: So what's going to happen to Augusta State U students?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 PM

"If you look at emory,and the transformation around emory. You can see,it's very important to have the city and college in a joint partnership to move both forward," said Johnson.

The partnership,along with multimillion dollar ground breaking projects,around the school,also help lay rumors to rest.

"They're investing millions of dollars here in augusta. I don't think that the state legislature would allow that to be done,if they were going to move the school to Athens," said Mayor Deke Copenhaver.
WRDW - HomePage - Headlines

Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
"If you look at emory,and the transformation around emory. You can see,it's very important to have the city and college in a joint partnership to move both forward," said Johnson.

The partnership,along with multimillion dollar ground breaking projects,around the school,also help lay rumors to rest.

"They're investing millions of dollars here in augusta. I don't think that the state legislature would allow that to be done,if they were going to move the school to Athens," said Mayor Deke Copenhaver.
WRDW - HomePage - Headlines
lol bad comparison Mr. Mayor. Emory is a private school that doesn't give two dinks about Atlanta or Georgia. They may benefit, but the benefit is mutual..much like a corporation. GHSU's interactions is more like a quickly developing country that's still slightly dependent on another country. Emory is also in one of the biggest metropolises in America. Augusta is a small town in south Georgia. Emory has a wealth of top programs outside of health science and biology, GHSU doesn't.

A good representation of politician's understandings of universities.

But he's right. I'm telling ya. They won't move to Athens. Don't worry Augusta. GHSU isn't going anywhere. Even if UGA merges with GHSU. The school is staying in Augusta where it belongs.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM

472 posts, read 809,575 times
Mr. Mayor actually compared Emory to GHSU? Nonsense. They are completely different schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area