Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:04 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
If Augusta were to attract companies such as IKEA or The Cheesecake Factory, the planners in other cities especially Columbia would be shaking their heads and wondering what are we doing wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
A cheesecake factory is definitely possible. Similar sized metros have one, but IKEA is much more of a stretch. Again nothing is impossible.

Columbia should already be shaking their heads. Cabela's, Costco and now an outlet mall....none of which Columbia has, not to mention the other stores at the Augusta Mall like Apple.

I am just surprised that the developers are coming here instead. It could be a number of things.
Columbia is just a weird beast in terms of geography and thus retail. Historically it has been over-malled and there are several upper-income enclaves scattered all throughout the area. It's just a matter of retailers picking the right location which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

But it's not like Columbia is light years behind; not by a long shot. Columbia got/is getting Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Ruth's Chris, Urban Outfitters, Nordstrom Rack, Wet Willie's, Jillian's, Mast General Store, etc. all before Augusta. It doesn't have a planned outlet mall, but it has had its existing lifestyle center (Village at Sandhill) for a couple of years now with another one planned (Killian's Crossing) and a New Urbanist development planned for downtown. So it's not like everything is going wrong; much is going right as a matter of fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:12 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia is just a weird beast in terms of geography and thus retail. Historically it has been over-malled and there are several upper-income enclaves scattered all throughout the area. It's just a matter of retailers picking the right location which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

But it's not like Columbia is light years behind; not by a long shot. Columbia got/is getting Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Ruth's Chris, Urban Outfitters, Nordstrom Rack, Wet Willie's, Jillian's, Mast General Store, etc. all before Augusta. It doesn't have a planned outlet mall, but it has had its existing lifestyle center (Village at Sandhill) for a couple of years now with another one planned (Killian's Crossing) and a New Urbanist development planned for downtown. So it's not like everything is going wrong; much is going right as a matter of fact.
I agree they are not lightyears behind in retail but they are still slightly behind nonetheless when they should really be ahead based on population. Of course other things come in to play besides population so it could be a matter of things.

As far as their existing lifestyle center, its very nice, but offers pretty much the same stores that are already in the malls. I've only been twice and it doesn't compare to the Augusta Mall's offerings so I wouldn't drive there just to go the lifestyle center like I'm sure Columbians will drive here to come to the outlet mall.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
As far as their existing lifestyle center, its very nice, but offers pretty much the same stores that are already in the malls. I've only been twice and it doesn't compare to the Augusta Mall's offerings so I wouldn't drive there just to go the lifestyle center like I'm sure Columbians will drive here to come to the outlet mall.
I'm not real sure how the Village at Sand Hills is a lifestyle center. I've been there a few times myself, and it felt to me like most other retail areas with connected buildings (Augusta Exchange, Mullins Crossing, etc.). In fact, everything there was pretty spread out, which made it difficult to go many places without hopping back in the car and driving.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I'm not real sure how the Village at Sand Hills is a lifestyle center. I've been there a few times myself, and it felt to me like most other retail areas with connected buildings (Augusta Exchange, Mullins Crossing, etc.). In fact, everything there was pretty spread out, which made it difficult to go many places without hopping back in the car and driving.

There is a lifestyle portion anchored by JC penny's and Belk. The surrounding development is the power center portion of the development. But the lifestyle portion is definitely pedestrian friendly as the parking surrounds the center like a mall.

The stores like Academy Sports, HH Greg, and Home Depot are not part of the lifestyle portion and yes you would have to hop in your car and drive to be honest.

Last edited by PJA; 02-20-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 01:59 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
There is a lifestyle portion anchored by JC penny's and Belk. The surrounding development is the power center portion of the development. But the lifestyle portion is definitely pedestrian friendly as the parking surrounds the center like a mall.

The stores like Academy Sports, HH Greg, and Home Depot are not part of the lifestyle portion and yes you would have to hop in your car and drive to be honest.
I went to World Market and thought that was part of it...now that I look at the map, I didn't even go in the actual center really. Shows how much I missed when I was there. That was a couple years ago, though.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I went to World Market and thought that was part of it...now that I look at the map, I didn't even go in the actual center really. Shows how much I missed when I was there. That was a couple years ago, though.
Yeah it's a pretty big area. I enjoyed going there especially since it was nice outside and I enjoyed walking around the lifestyle center portion. But they really don't have any more stores there than at the Augusta Mall, but it may be nice to visit if you're going Columbia for something else and then making that a part of the trip.

At least the outlet mall will be open air. Days like today would be good just get out and walk around and do some shopping.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
Updated Renderings of Project Jackson

Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM

322 posts, read 586,379 times
Project Jackson back on track after ruling

The high-density town center on the riverbank beside Hammond’s Ferry will include a 200-room resort-style hotel and conference center modeled after Hampton Terrace,up to four high-end restaurants; 75 townhouses; 225 apartments; 30,000 square feet of retail space; 40,000 square feet of office space; and 900 parking spaces. The developer expects to break grown in November and have it completed by Spring 2016.

Last edited by -StarBright-; 08-19-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 03:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
IMO the layout is just OK to me. I guess I need to see more but they can definitely do better. It look a little outdated and it need more of a young vibrant feel.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM

322 posts, read 586,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
IMO the layout is just OK to me. I guess I need to see more but they can definitely do better. It look a little outdated and it need more of a young vibrant feel.
I think those were just dull pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area