Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM

57 posts, read 76,476 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I will be moving to Augusta in June from Virginia. I'm not very familiar with the Augusta area and needed some help on areas to focus on while shopping for real-estate. We would like to buy looking in the $150-$220k range but are keeping our options open for renting as well if it makes more sense. We are in our late twenties and have a dog but no plans for children anytime soon so school districts are not as important. We enjoy outdoor activities (kayaking, running, hiking, etc), good local restaurants of a wide variety of cuisines, and would like to be somewhat close to a nicer grocery store with a decent produce and organic section. Some of our top things in looking at areas:

1. Safety - my fiance will refuse to live anywhere that seems remotely unsafe
2. Distance to MCG/GHSU - I will be a medical resident at GHSU and would like to be w/in 15 mins of the hospital if possible.

We are both South Carolina natives and began looking at North Augusta real-estate (don't really know which areas are best w/in N Augusta though), but are open to other areas in Georgia as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM

27 posts, read 80,122 times
Default moving to Augusta

Hello, just curious what area in Virginia you reside in, my family will also be moving to the area in June, we live in the tidewater area and we will be residing in Evans. He is a native of Augusta so he remembers the area pretty well. We chose not to live in Augusta because of the schools but overall from what i've seen there is enough to do in the area to keep us pretty busy.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaddisw View Post
Hello, just curious what area in Virginia you reside in, my family will also be moving to the area in June, we live in the tidewater area and we will be residing in Evans. He is a native of Augusta so he remembers the area pretty well. We chose not to live in Augusta because of the schools but overall from what i've seen there is enough to do in the area to keep us pretty busy.
I can think of schools located in different parts of Augusta who outrank the schools in Evans.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,534 times
Evans

Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhokie08 View Post
My fiancé and I will be moving to Augusta in June from Virginia. I'm not very familiar with the Augusta area and needed some help on areas to focus on while shopping for real-estate. We would like to buy looking in the $150-$220k range but are keeping our options open for renting as well if it makes more sense. We are in our late twenties and have a dog but no plans for children anytime soon so school districts are not as important. We enjoy outdoor activities (kayaking, running, hiking, etc), good local restaurants of a wide variety of cuisines, and would like to be somewhat close to a nicer grocery store with a decent produce and organic section. Some of our top things in looking at areas:

1. Safety - my fiance will refuse to live anywhere that seems remotely unsafe
2. Distance to MCG/GHSU - I will be a medical resident at GHSU and would like to be w/in 15 mins of the hospital if possible.

We are both South Carolina natives and began looking at North Augusta real-estate (don't really know which areas are best w/in N Augusta though), but are open to other areas in Georgia as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Evans is definitely not located within 15 minutes of the hospitals in the Medical District. Especially the nicer parts(Greenbrier area & North Belair north of Washington rd) of the Evans area. The best suggestion is probably North Augusta, Lake Aumond, Country Club Hills, Olde Town, Lakemont, or Waters Edge... I think somebody in their late 20's who's into outdoor activities will prefer to live closer to the Augusta Canal, Riverwalk, or even the North Augusta Greenway.

The Central Business District and Summerville will probably be too expensive in most cases. Although, there's a couple of nice bungalows in the Summerville area. You might be able to find some homes off Stevens Creek rd or Furys Ferry in West Augusta/Martinez within an 20 minute drive(near Savannah Rapids Pavillion).

Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
I would recommend either West Augusta, Martinez or North Augusta. All are safe and are within 15 minutes from the Medical district.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
East Augusta, South Augusta, South west Augusta is safe also. Its all depends on where in these location you choose to stay. Most people on here going to say west augusta, martinez, and north Augusta like they are the only safe place to stay in augusta area but that is not true. In these days in time nowhere is safe so they all are unsafe it just some less then the other. You will have lock you house and car doors whatever side town you live on. If you live on post at fort Gordon you still not safe because anything can happen. The only way to be safe is practicing safety. Look at news all shooting going on in randomly places how can you what safe you all kill me with that

Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
I didn't mention South Augusta because IMO the safest places are more than 15 minutes away. As for East Augusta, I'm not sure what houses they have in the range the OP was asking for and while it may be safe, there are definitely parts of the area that are safer. I think with the redevelopment that is going on in that area, it is changing for the positive but there is still some room for improvement. As for south west augusta, while during normal hours it may be less than 15 mins away , rush hour traffic is different. Same with parts of South Augusta, (where I live), because of traffic it takes me over 20 minutes if I have to go downtown (again I'm talking about from the safe parts of South Augusta and where new homes are available.) I do know that a lot of the Richmond Hill area in South Augusta is safe however, don't know of any new homes that are available in that area and there probably are not a lot of homes for sale there either.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,908 times
I am with PJA on the suggestions West Augusta, Martinez or North Augusta was what came to mind.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 PM

124 posts, read 241,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowd2bfrumAugusta View Post
Augusta iz so safe. The ppl on my blok aint no dangerous! The houses aint thut prety and the blok aint neether, but errbody iz nice enuf.
TRANSLATION: 'Augusta is a safe city. The neighbors on my street aren't dangerous! The houses aren't the finest; neither is the neighborhood; but everyone is nice and friendly.'

Question...does trolling a troll make me a troll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area