Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,385,899 times

Advertisements

Who do you agree with: guy #1 or guy #2

Guy #1
"I don't want to take a St. Petersburg boat ride up the canal and see apartments to my left," said Augusta Canal lover Kevin Flerty.
He says he plans to stop any development along the Augusta Canal and even had a bumper sticker made.
Flerty says he was part of a group in the 90s credited with stopping a golf course and other developments from being built in the area. t Flerty is concerned the wildlife will slowly disappear.

Guy #2
City leaders say other companies are interested in building there.

Jeff Carter works for the developer who will build the apartment complex.

"I'm born and raised in Augusta,and I'm excited for this. I'm happy to go build something that's nice enough for people to live in," said Development Manager Jeff Carter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,092,320 times
These are the same apartments discussed in the Village at Riverwatch thread. I didn't know for sure if you knew or not.

I'm all for protecting the Augusta Canal, Phinizy Swamp, etc but this mixed-use development was proposed in 2006(Dillards, Belk, etc). Everybody already knew additional construction was coming for sometime now.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,149 times
To be honest Costco isn't the most pleasing to the eye to look at and it's already located there. I think they are dropping the ball big time on this development as it seems to be piecemeal instead of one cohesive development. They could have come up with a plan where everything located in there had to have the same or similar upscale uniform look, then it wouldn't matter what they were putting there because any development would have to comply to the lifestyle center's codes. I was disappointed when Costco was finished because being that this was originally supposed to be a lifestyle center, I though Costco would have a much more upscale look, at least on the outside. Other developments and cities have done similar things where even Walmarts had to have a much more upscale look to locate there.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM

I think everything changed when the recession happen, and Bass Pro was announced shortly after.

The MG Herring website clearly reads proposed 'residential'.. The remaining 92 acres have the plans displayed for everybody in the metro area to view.. They didn't just come out of left field one day, and spring up on the general public.
Village at Riverwatch | The MGHerring Group

The first person mentioned in the article is not a member of the commission or local government. It seems nobody is worried about what they're putting there except for him.

''He says he plans to stop any development along the Augusta Canal and even had a bumper sticker made.''

I'm positive he would try to stop anything built near the canal. I disagree in terms of the upscale look, because Costco is definitely more upscale than Belk.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM

124 posts, read 241,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think everything changed when the recession happen, and Bass Pro was announced shortly after.

The MG Herring website clearly reads proposed 'residential'.. The remaining 92 acres have the plans displayed for everybody in the metro area to view.. They didn't just come out of left field one day, and spring up on the general public.

The first person mentioned in the article is not a member of the commission or local government. It seems nobody is worried about what they're putting there except for him.

''He says he plans to stop any development along the Augusta Canal and even had a bumper sticker made.''

I'm positive he would try to stop anything built near the canal. I disagree in terms of the upscale look, because Costco is definitely more upscale than Belk.

How is a warehouse store with a gas station more upscale than a Belk? Have you even been in the North Augusta one since they remodeled?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803Swimmer View Post
How is a warehouse store with a gas station more upscale than a Belk? Have you even been in the North Augusta one since they remodeled?
I've seen the new logo/design(still big box), but I have one simple question.

How many Belk locations are in GA/SC compared to Costco stores?

Plenty of the smaller cities in Georgia and South Carolina have Belk locations..

Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM

124 posts, read 241,847 times
Sooooooo, having fewer locations means that a place is upscale??? Using that logic KMart must be UBER upscale cause there's only 1 or 2 of them in the entire CSRA too! Roses must be upscale cause there's only 1 in Augusta. There aren't many Big Lots either, SO EXCLUSIVE!!!

I agree with you, a store that sells Michael Kors, BCBG, and Calvin Klein (Belk North Aug) is nowhere NEAR as upscale as that warehouse that I can buy 40 rolls or toilet paper, 8 sticks of deodorant, and 20 lbs of hamburger meat. Thanks for opening my eyes!!!

People go to COSTCO for what reason? To get more bang for their buck. It's a glorified Wal-Mart. It is not 'upscale'. End of story.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Atleast people still go Costco, and Belk could only wish for their retail success. In terms of the number of locations you clearly know the point I'm trying to make. There's only one single Ikea store in the entire state for a reason.

Belk, Big Lots, K-Mart, Roses, etc have multiple locations in every single town/city throughout GA/SC.

Belk is clearly located at the bottom of the totem pole(compared to the competition: Dillards, etc), and that's why they had to create a whole new brand.

The owner of the summit in Birmingham tried to sue in order to stop Belk from taking over Parisan's.

I never said Costco was 'upscale', but only said it's more upscale compared to Belk... Belk may sell those products, but it's not the real Michael Kors store. When did Calvin Klein become upscale? Belk is not upscale, and nobody I know disagrees with me.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

You honestly believe a warehouse looks more upscale than a Belks? Riding along the canal, and you look over a see a warehouse looking building...that wasn't what we were promised when the city gave the green light to the development.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM

937 posts, read 1,800,332 times
I think Guy number one should take chill pill and enjoy the progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area