Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM

20 posts, read 49,366 times

Advertisements

Augusta-Richmond County is making gradual improvements and new businesses, expansions, etc. happen monthly... but if you drive around town (especially the southern parts), the "Disgusta" image still persists. If you could change just one (or even a handful of) things about Augusta to fix it, what would it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 PM

119 posts, read 204,315 times
The schools, I would start by making them all either k-7 or 8-12, I would change their names from schools to academys. I would implement the magnet system county wide. I would convert Laney, Westside, Butler and Hephzibah into sports academies these would be the only schools in the county with athletic programs upgrading their facilities to include sports not currently offered or in limited capacity such as swimming, tennis, golf gymnastics ect. I would convert Glenn Hills into a IT academy because of its proximity to both tech and the post it would specialize in all things related to the information age. Cross Creek would become a military academy and would consist of the countys entire JROTC programs. Josey and ARC would become academic academies that focus on basic subjects English, Math, Science and History also offering smaller class sizes these two would be for students who are lagging in the basics or who maybe undecided in a career path. A R Johnson would remain Health and Science GRU proximity of course, Davidson would remain for the Arts, TMC would remain as is also with expanded Electrical and Mechanical programs. I would construct 1 additional academy in the Cdb that would focus on law and finance. Also reopen Tubman as an alternative academy for troubled students.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingMat View Post
The schools, I would start by making them all either k-7 or 8-12, I would change their names from schools to academys. I would implement the magnet system county wide. I would convert Laney, Westside, Butler and Hephzibah into sports academies these would be the only schools in the county with athletic programs upgrading their facilities to include sports not currently offered or in limited capacity such as swimming, tennis, golf gymnastics ect. I would convert Glenn Hills into a IT academy because of its proximity to both tech and the post it would specialize in all things related to the information age. Cross Creek would become a military academy and would consist of the countys entire JROTC programs. Josey and ARC would become academic academies that focus on basic subjects English, Math, Science and History also offering smaller class sizes these two would be for students who are lagging in the basics or who maybe undecided in a career path. A R Johnson would remain Health and Science GRU proximity of course, Davidson would remain for the Arts, TMC would remain as is also with expanded Electrical and Mechanical programs. I would construct 1 additional academy in the Cdb that would focus on law and finance. Also reopen Tubman as an alternative academy for troubled students.

Wasn't going to comment on a thread made by a fake account troll but I liked your post.

Those sound like good ideas but the only issue would be bussing. It's already a strain on the system bussing the magnet school students as it is and most students probably wouldn't be living next to the school where they would be going. I would put the school system near the top of my list for needing improvement.

And since I have posted....To the OP please share with us what makes you think the "disgusta" image still persists (specific examples unique only to "Disgusta") and what would YOU do to fix those things that persist in keeping the "disgusta" image.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:08 PM

119 posts, read 204,315 times
@PJA I think the bussing issue could be solved by an expansion of APT within the more urban areas of the county, perhaps RCBOE could cooperate with the city funding of such a system expansion and RCBOE could maintain a much smaller fleet for the more rural areas of A.D. Richmond such as parts of Hephzibah, Blythe and Mcbean until such time that they become more urban and support regularly scheduled bus service. Improving the countys schools and creating a more educated population should solve many of the countys issues and such a school system could perhaps be used as a marketing tool to attract industry to Augusta Richmond County.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
And since I have posted....To the OP please share with us what makes you think the "disgusta" image still persists (specific examples unique only to "Disgusta") and what would YOU do to fix those things that persist in keeping the "disgusta" image.
"Disgusta"-ism is most pronounced along Gordon Hwy, and points south of here -- Deans Bridge, Tobacco Rd, etc. North of Gordon Hwy it isn't as bad. These are not challenges unique to Augusta but that was not the point of my OP. All cities have their challenges and weaknesses (opportunities).

Regarding fixes... Mat hit the giant elephant-in-the-room nail on the head. Augusta's problem is RCBE. The school system is broken, and is the reason that parents choose to locate in Columbia County or across the river. Most parents put the needs of their child first, before civic pride. Civic boosters are quick to defense with "Davidson! ARJ! C.T. Walker!". These schools have wait lists, and most students in the county will not be fortunate enough to attend them. The zoned schools are severely lacking. I say this as someone that attended both magnet and zoned schools. Fix RCBE, and the rest of the city's problems will fix themselves. Good schools attract (and create!!!) quality residents, businesses, industry, amenities, attractions, and on and on....

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to use some SPLOST funds to spruce up Gordon Hwy and other corridors. The same treatment the city gave Alexander Drive could be done to Gordon Hwy, Washington Rd, other main gateways. This would help attract new business and encourage existing businesses to invest in their properties.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:59 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondCtyMan View Post
"Disgusta"-ism is most pronounced along Gordon Hwy, and points south of here -- Deans Bridge, Tobacco Rd, etc. North of Gordon Hwy it isn't as bad. These are not challenges unique to Augusta but that was not the point of my OP. All cities have their challenges and weaknesses (opportunities).

Regarding fixes... Mat hit the giant elephant-in-the-room nail on the head. Augusta's problem is RCBE. The school system is broken, and is the reason that parents choose to locate in Columbia County or across the river. Most parents put the needs of their child first, before civic pride. Civic boosters are quick to defense with "Davidson! ARJ! C.T. Walker!". These schools have wait lists, and most students in the county will not be fortunate enough to attend them. The zoned schools are severely lacking. I say this as someone that attended both magnet and zoned schools. Fix RCBE, and the rest of the city's problems will fix themselves. Good schools attract (and create!!!) quality residents, businesses, industry, amenities, attractions, and on and on....

That being said, it wouldn't hurt to use some SPLOST funds to spruce up Gordon Hwy and other corridors. The same treatment the city gave Alexander Drive could be done to Gordon Hwy, Washington Rd, other main gateways. This would help attract new business and encourage existing businesses to invest in their properties.

They already have done that on Gordon Hwy last year....the tree lined medians like on Alexander Dr.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
I don't want to get into an Augusta vs Savannah brawl, but several years ago Savannah-Chatham Public Schools mostly abandoned its magnet-based approach to districting and committed to raising the bar for ALL schools regardless of neighborhood. The effect on the district has been profound, as kids now mostly attend schools zoned to their neigborhoods and the sense of pride and community involvement in neighborhood schools has brought thousands of private school students back into the public system.

Magnets / busing look good on paper, but they eventually do more harm than good. This has been proven time and again across the country. It absolutely destroyed DeKalb County schools, which were considered THE BEST in the entire United States in the 1960s-70s.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,346 times
I would seriously change the way the government is run, maybe they could use Denver as an example.

Government of Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
They already have done that on Gordon Hwy last year....the tree lined medians like on Alexander Dr.
Gordon Hwy needs a lot more than a few trees and shrubs.

Alexander is an example where the city gave the CBD/Medical District streetscape treatment to a suburban gateway. Gordon Hwy today has rusted guardrails (slated for splost replacement 5-10 yrs from now), rusted streetlights, flood lights strapped to telephone poles serving as streetlights, no sidewalks, no bike lanes, no multi-use trail. At least one or two pedestrians/bicyclists a year die on this hwy being hit by cars. If the city can make Alexander look as good as St Sebastian, they can do it to Gordon Hwy, Deans Bridge, Peach Orchard. More visitors / potential business investors/developers/new residents drive those routes each day than Alexander and St Sebastian. Public improvements like that are what SPLOST funds should go to instead of private outside organizations.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I would seriously change the way the government is run, maybe they could use Denver as an example.

Government of Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Next year the mayor will for the first time since Ed McIntyre be an elected African American. (first time in consolidated gov't)... and love him or hate him, Fred is gone. This may remove some opposition (from certain political factions) to a stronger mayor/manager format, or may even negate the need for it. It is time for the city commission to move past black/white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area