Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,234 times

Advertisements

Augusta to surpass Greenville, Columbia and Charleston?

All three are vibrant mid-sized cities and all are larger than any of the GA cities outside of Atlanta. It's unrealistic to think Augusta or Savannah would ever catch up to Atlanta. But is it impossible for Augusta to eventually surpass the palmetto cities in certain metrics like shopping, entertainment, dining, tourism etc.?

Would an I-3 and I-14 turn the CSRA (pop +700,000) into Augusta Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Should have come out and posted Augusta vs South Carolina cities. There is a horse out there that wants to be put down. It has been beaten to a pulp. Blood is spewing from its ears, mouth, a$$ and every other hole. It can't even make a sound. Let's just end this and make some horseburgers.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Augusta is on par as far as retail and restaurants go for the most part.

Charleston is a historic tourist destination, has a renowned culinary scene, and has one of the busiest ports on the East Coast. Columbia is the state capital, home to the state's flagship university, and is centrally located within the state. Greenville is flanked by smaller sizable cities, is located smack dab between two of the fastest-growing cities in the Southeast and the nation along one of the busiest interstates in the region, and is located in a more scenic part of the Southeast. These are things that Augusta won't ever have.

The biggest difference between Augusta and SC's largest cities, as I see it, is the private sector. Charleston has companies like Boeing, a couple defense contractors, Google, etc. Columbia has SCANA (a Fortune 1000 company), several regional bank headquarters, insurance companies, law offices, etc. Greenville has BMW, Michelin, GE Engineering, Fluor, and several other manufacturing and engineering companies. Augusta's private sector just isn't quite as robust which is why its airport isn't as busy (and tourism helps Charleston out with their's) and its metro GDP disproportionately lags that of Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. The recent economic developments will certainly help, but some of those won't have a lot of spin-off--certainly nothing like a Boeing or BMW--and more definitely needs to follow. I think if Augusta could land something like a Boeing or BMW and invest heavily in a downtown revitalization, that could truly shake some things up and put the city on the path to greater prosperity. I think GRU will yield some benefits long-term that have yet to be realized.

As far as a few other amenities, like a new ballpark or civic center/arena, that's more of an issue of local leadership. Nothing is stopping Augusta as far as that goes. The same goes for a zoo or an aquarium.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Charleston is a historic tourist destination, has a renowned culinary scene, and has one of the busiest ports on the East Coast. Columbia is the state capital, home to the state's flagship university, and is centrally located within the state. Greenville is flanked by smaller sizable cities, is located smack dab between two of the fastest-growing cities in the Southeast and the nation along one of the busiest interstates in the region, and is located in a more scenic part of the Southeast. These are things that Augusta won't ever have.

The biggest difference between Augusta and SC's largest cities, as I see it, is the private sector. Charleston has companies like Boeing, a couple defense contractors, Google, etc. Columbia has SCANA (a Fortune 1000 company), several regional bank headquarters, insurance companies, law offices, etc. Greenville has BMW, Michelin, GE Engineering, Fluor, and several other manufacturing and engineering companies. Augusta's private sector just isn't quite as robust which is why its airport isn't as busy (and tourism helps Charleston out with their's) and its metro GDP disproportionately lags that of Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. The recent economic developments will certainly help, but some of those won't have a lot of spin-off--certainly nothing like a Boeing or BMW--and more definitely needs to follow. I think if Augusta could land something like a Boeing or BMW and invest heavily in a downtown revitalization, that could truly shake some things up and put the city on the path to greater prosperity. I think GRU will yield some benefits long-term that have yet to be realized.

As far as a few other amenities, like a new ballpark or civic center/arena, that's more of an issue of local leadership. Nothing is stopping Augusta as far as that goes. The same goes for a zoo or an aquarium.
Bingo...... The difference between Augusta and other cities is location, infrastructure and vision. You have stated all that apply to location so I will not get into it. Augusta infrastructurally is behind the curb, the same as nearly every other Georgia city even Atlanta which tops the list. NONE of the 2nd tier cities in Georgia are connected with interstates and that creates a huge gap in terms of development. While I-14 or I-3 would be nice both are flawed which leads me into the final problem which is vision. In cities like Columbia, Greenville and Charleston even Rock Hill the local leadership see something in their cities and are working hard toward a vision, now while Augusta has Augusta Tomorrow and other visionary elements, they lack a large broad vision. Look at Greenville for example or downtown Columbia. Until first a vision is established not only by the local leadership but by the citizens and the necessary infrastructure improvements are made, Augusta will have all the tools to grow but no one trained to use them if that makes sense, so the city will continue to grow because of already existing conditions but the city will not reach the height of Columbia, Greenville and Charleston.

Augusta needs a real vision. Even I have a real vision for Augusta.
https://www.facebook.com/BuildInterstate63

Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
Quote:

Augusta has the largest employer in state of SC 50 minutes away, the Savannah River Site and its various contractor companies. Some of those people live in Aiken and North Augusta but they count that as a metro. Southern Company also has a nuclear power plant in Waynesboro and they are building two new units there and there is a ton of work there.

I question how much a downtown really brings in new business. Huntsville doesn't have a better downtown than Augusta but they have a lot of good employers. Even if Augusta improves its downtown it still competing with other cities who have nice downtowns like Charleston and Greenville and Savannah.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Bingo...... The difference between Augusta and other cities is location, infrastructure and vision. You have stated all that apply to location so I will not get into it. Augusta infrastructurally is behind the curb, the same as nearly every other Georgia city even Atlanta which tops the list. NONE of the 2nd tier cities in Georgia are connected with interstates and that creates a huge gap in terms of development. While I-14 or I-3 would be nice both are flawed which leads me into the final problem which is vision. In cities like Columbia, Greenville and Charleston even Rock Hill the local leadership see something in their cities and are working hard toward a vision, now while Augusta has Augusta Tomorrow and other visionary elements, they lack a large broad vision. Look at Greenville for example or downtown Columbia. Until first a vision is established not only by the local leadership but by the citizens and the necessary infrastructure improvements are made, Augusta will have all the tools to grow but no one trained to use them if that makes sense, so the city will continue to grow because of already existing conditions but the city will not reach the height of Columbia, Greenville and Charleston.

Augusta needs a real vision. Even I have a real vision for Augusta.
https://www.facebook.com/BuildInterstate63
I agree that infrastructure helps, but new interstates in and of themselves aren't really game-changers. You can look at smaller cities like Macon, Florence, and Spartanburg which have better interstate connectivity but aren't larger than Augusta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Augusta has the largest employer in state of SC 50 minutes away, the Savannah River Site and its various contractor companies. Some of those people live in Aiken and North Augusta but they count that as a metro. Southern Company also has a nuclear power plant in Waynesboro and they are building two new units there and there is a ton of work there.
Yep, and this only reinforces my point; SRS isn't a private venture. Nuclear power plants are somewhat common and aren't economic generators. Don't get me wrong, Augusta is better off with these assets, but they simply don't function as typical private industry does, such as manufacturing, engineering, finance, tech, etc. Augusta will need to capitalize on assets like SRS, Fort Gordon, GRU, etc. to attract more private investment and to an extent it's already starting to do that. I hope the momentum continues.

Quote:
I question how much a downtown really brings in new business. Huntsville doesn't have a better downtown than Augusta but they have a lot of good employers. Even if Augusta improves its downtown it still competing with other cities who have nice downtowns like Charleston and Greenville and Savannah.
Well Huntsville benefited from heavy federal investment a while back, so that's a different story of sorts. But revitalized downtowns have been beneficial for places like Greenville and Chattanooga on several fronts, especially tourism.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 PM

376 posts, read 727,730 times
Quote:
I agree that infrastructure helps, but new interstates in and of themselves aren't really game-changers. You can look at smaller cities like Macon, Florence, and Spartanburg which have better interstate connectivity but aren't larger than Augusta.

Yep, and this only reinforces my point; SRS isn't a private venture. Nuclear power plants are somewhat common and aren't economic generators. Don't get me wrong, Augusta is better off with these assets, but they simply don't function as typical private industry does, such as manufacturing, engineering, finance, tech, etc. Augusta will need to capitalize on assets like SRS, Fort Gordon, GRU, etc. to attract more private investment and to an extent it's already starting to do that. I hope the momentum continues.

Well Huntsville benefited from heavy federal investment a while back, so that's a different story of sorts. But revitalized downtowns have been beneficial for places like Greenville and Chattanooga on several fronts, especially tourism.
Well I understand what you are saying but federal government benefits from taxpayers paying taxes, it creates no wealth on its own so it is really jobs being created by taxpayers.

Chattanooga downtown is ok but I don't think it attracts much industry there. Augusta seems to have more employers, they are least pretty even. I'm not sure how Augusta could compete with Nooga b/c Nooga has features outside of downtown that pulls people there, and then they spend time in downtown b/c of the aquarium. I knew a guy from there and he was always complaining about how the city only cared about tourism and a "yuppie" downtown as he put it, rather than attracting better employers.

I think downtown areas tend to flourish after some decent employers locate there, rather than being a big incentive from the start, but then at that point it doesn't hurt the recruitment process for a city but I think businesses look more at the cost of doing business, the education of the workforce, and other things , tax incentives, and others things, much more than the downtown. I don't think Augusta's downtown is that bad and it is better than most that I've seen.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Quote:
Well I understand what you are saying but federal government benefits from taxpayers paying taxes, it creates no wealth on its own so it is really jobs being created by taxpayers.

Chattanooga downtown is ok but I don't think it attracts much industry there. Augusta seems to have more employers, they are least pretty even. I'm not sure how Augusta could compete with Nooga b/c Nooga has features outside of downtown that pulls people there, and then they spend time in downtown b/c of the aquarium. I knew a guy from there and he was always complaining about how the city only cared about tourism and a "yuppie" downtown as he put it, rather than attracting better employers.

I think downtown areas tend to flourish after some decent employers locate there, rather than being a big incentive from the start, but then at that point it doesn't hurt the recruitment process for a city but I think businesses look more at the cost of doing business, the education of the workforce, and other things , tax incentives, and others things, much more than the downtown. I don't think Augusta's downtown is that bad and it is better than most that I've seen.
With enough support from local and state governing bodies I can see downtown Augusta being overtaken by the medical district. Most of the area around the current district are full of old or abandoned buildings. There really isn't anything stopping the district from sprawling. Imagine if the medical district was the size of the one in Houston. Medicine is a strength for the city and I think it should be exploited. Other fields that should be exploited are golf, communication, cybernetics, and music with James Brown.
Attached Thumbnails
What Will It Take.......-medicalcenteraerial.jpg  

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Right, but the difference is the potential to attract private investment that follows the federal investment. SRS doesn't do this very well, but in Huntsville it's a MUCH different story: Cummings Research Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The truth is that the downtowns that are the most vibrant and well-preserved, particularly those in the South, are those that didn't have a lot of their historic urban fabric razed for office highrises that do little to encourage pedestrian activity. That's a large reason why downtown Chattanooga, Greenville, Savannah, Charleston, etc. are vibrant. But revitalized downtowns don't have to necessarily attract a lot of new industry in the downtowns themselves to be successful economic development tools. Read more about how this works in Greenville's case. And yes, there's always the fear that downtown can become TOO successful, turning into more of a boutique place that caters to the more well-to-do instead of all types. But I think that's a good problem to have.

Quote:
Augusta's downtown definitely isn't that bad and has some really good bones in place. I agree that those other factors are overall more important but downtowns CAN play a role also. In many cases, when a large company is considering a city to set up shop in, local officials like to wine and dine the company representatives which often includes a tour of downtown and taking in local shows and visiting local attractions. That can make a big impression.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM

119 posts, read 204,337 times
Elected officials who think fowards, not sideways or backwards, stop looking towards Cola, Chucktown, the Upstate, Atl, Savannah, Chattanooga, Charlotte, etc. for what has worked for them and focus on what makes Augusta unique and improve upon those characteristics such as the beautiful canal and river system that flow through the core of the city, maybe the city should line the canal from the gates by lake Olmstead to the 2 level past 13th around Johnson and back over across from Enterprise, also from Johnson to JB Blvd by the courthouse with walking and biking trails beautifully landscaped not the fences walls and weeds that line it currently also extension of the riverwalk over to 15th bulldoze everything from 13th to 15th Broad to the river and redevelop it with a new riverfront arena, baseball stadium well it maybe to late for that one and performing arts theater, surrounded by shops and dining. I know there are homes currently lining the river nothing historic. Just live up to the Garden City moniker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area