Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times

Advertisements

This decision has just opened up a whole host of opportunities for not only the city but the state. Think 10 to 15 years from now how this day will impact the state of Georgia when thousands of new jobs are created in the cybernetics industry here in Augusta. Look at what is happening in front of your eyes. The entire metropolitan area is booming, whether it is Columbia County's growth, the US Army Cyber Command relocating to Fort Gordon, downtown and the Augusta Regional Airport in Richmond County, Plant Vogtle in Burke County or the seemingly endless plant announcements in Aiken County, the area should seriously prepare for a large boost in population in the next 10 years. The best thing the leadership in the Augusta MSA can do with the door wide open is work with both the SCDOT and GDOT and expand infrastructure. This decision is another reason the area desperately needs a north south interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
When all is said and done between the soldiers, civilians, and the relocation and expansion of several cyber defense contracts, we are looking at a population increase of about 20,000. And that doesn't include other branches of the army relocating here (which according to several sources that will happen.)

Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
PJA, I didn't realize that many jobs and people would be moving here. With this announcement and the growth of GRU, Augusta has the potential to become a Huntsville/Durham hybrid with the mix of high-tech jobs and medical jobs. BTW, what other Army commands are rumored to be coming to Fort Gordon.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
PJA, I didn't realize that many jobs and people would be moving here. With this announcement and the growth of GRU, Augusta has the potential to become a Huntsville/Durham hybrid with the mix of high-tech jobs and medical jobs. BTW, what other Army commands are rumored to be coming to Fort Gordon.
The cyber field is an up and coming field for service members, every branch of service is expanding it's programs. While the US Cyber Command remains headquartered in Fort Meade, the presence of the US Army Cyber Command and the oversize of Fort Gordon will allow for massive expansions of facilities and personnel. The army has taken the lead on the program and just like most other fields almost all services utilize army facilities and personnel for training in its own programs. With the program being located at Fort Gordon it will allow other services and DOD contractors to come in and build stronger programs while utilizing army facilities which saves millions in new construction. The Cyber Command is at Fort Meade but the spear tip of its operations will be at Fort Gordon. For those who have no military understanding it's similar to a company headquartered in Atlanta but they operate their plant in West Point, if that makes any sense.

Augusta is truly blessed to house an installation the likes of Fort Gordon. While Ground combat bases such as Fort Benning, Stewart and Fort Bragg could and most likely will see decreases in operations due to more conflicts being fought using computers, Fort Gordon will only increase in importance.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
I think one thing that we need to remember is this is also a big boost to Bush Field, a BIG boost... I'm sure they were all jumping up and down, giving each other high-fives when this news was announced.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
This initial announcement is going to snowball into bigger things for the area... The cyber command will be cranking things up about the same time plant vogtle reactors 3 & 4 will be coming on-line to the power grid.

Cyber Command construction starting at Fort Gordon in 2016 | Mobile Augusta

Old 12-20-2013, 11:51 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
That why it make to build a outlet mall in augusta. Next step is my amusement park I pitching for on the forum I really can see this happen now then ever. Also I said 15-20 yr from now CSRA will be closer to 800t -1m which I still believe. I hope CC get a hospital built that more jobs which mean more to do

Old 12-20-2013, 02:19 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Good lord...

Old 12-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
That why it make to build a outlet mall in augusta. Next step is my amusement park I pitching for on the forum I really can see this happen now then ever. Also I said 15-20 yr from now CSRA will be closer to 800t -1m which I still believe. I hope CC get a hospital built that more jobs which mean more to do
Considering the CSRA is already over 700,000 in population, 900,000 to 1 million seems like a fair prediction for the next 10 years. Since Augusta is now hot with jobs, the retail and residential sectors need to take off if the city wants to reach a new tier. Grovetown expansion toward I-20 and Harlem, North Augusta's expansion into Edgefield County, Aiken and Hephzibah's growth will be critical to area's growth. As I stated earlier infrastructure should be at the top of the to improve list.

Interstate 20: 6 lanes from McDuffie County to Grovetown, 8 lanes from Grovetown to North Augusta and 6 lanes from North Augusta to Hwy 1 near the Aiken Municipal Airport.

Interstate 520: 8 lanes from I-20 to Deans Bridge Road, 6 lanes from Deans Bridge to Sand Bar Ferry Road and 8 lanes from Sand Bar Ferry Road to future I-63 and onward.

I-20 would have an upgraded interchange at Washington Road and Riverwatch Parkway.

I-520 would have a diverging diamond interchange with Wrightsboro Road and a connector distributor system from Richmond Hill Road to Hwy 56.

From Tobacco Road the following would be upgraded; Doug Barnard Parkway, Hwy 56, Peach Orchard, Deans Bridge, Gordon Hwy, Wrightsboro Road would all be 6 lanes with a raised median. Wheeler Road would remain as is and Washington Road would have a raised median. Tobacco Road would be widened to 6 lanes with a raised median.

Augusta Regional Airport would be expanded to compete with airports such as Raleigh and Birmingham.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:54 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
I-20 would have an upgraded interchange at Washington Road and Riverwatch Parkway. At one time I thought it was some talk about upgrading the interchange at Wash.Rd n RWP.

I-520 would have a diverging diamond interchange with Wrightsboro Road and a connector distributor system from Richmond Hill Road to Hwy 56

Good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area