Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times

Advertisements

Augusta,Ga (WRDW)----One of the most recognizable faces in Augusta could be leaving next year. Commissioner Joe Jackson tells News12, City Administrator Fred Russell could be announcing his retirement as soon as next month.

Jackson says talks are happening right now behind closed doors about how to find his replacement."You know there's always a parachute plan. Sometimes it's your parachute and sometimes it's just getting pushed out the plane," said City Administrator Fred Russell.

Russell has been with the city as administrator for 10 years. We're told he's lasted longer than any other person in that position.

"Do I think he's out lived he has outlived his life expectancy? I believe so. We are at the end of the road. It's time for some new blood and new ideas," said Commissioner Joe Jackson.

"Mr. Russell needs to go. We talked about him leaving maybe next year," said Commissioner Marion Williams.

Fred Russell's departure has become a regular theme. Russell came under fire for giving $350,000 in raises to certain employees. His resignation was called for again once leaders learned about his plan to call hundreds of acres a slum to pay for the renovations at the municipal building.

"He has mentioned to us that he wants to retire. He came up with a plan on announcing it in January. He also mentioned we should go out for professional services to find a qualified replacement," said Commissioner Joe Jackson.

Jackson says he's not sure if Russell's second in command, Tamika Allen can handle the job.

"I think bringing outside people in, bringing the non-connected people who have no ties to the area will set the stage for Augusta," said Jackson.

Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.

Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 127,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post

Augusta,Ga (WRDW)----One of the most recognizable faces in Augusta could be leaving next year. Commissioner Joe Jackson tells News12, City Administrator Fred Russell could be announcing his retirement as soon as next month.

Jackson says talks are happening right now behind closed doors about how to find his replacement."You know there's always a parachute plan. Sometimes it's your parachute and sometimes it's just getting pushed out the plane," said City Administrator Fred Russell.

Russell has been with the city as administrator for 10 years. We're told he's lasted longer than any other person in that position.

"Do I think he's out lived he has outlived his life expectancy? I believe so. We are at the end of the road. It's time for some new blood and new ideas," said Commissioner Joe Jackson.

"Mr. Russell needs to go. We talked about him leaving maybe next year," said Commissioner Marion Williams.

Fred Russell's departure has become a regular theme. Russell came under fire for giving $350,000 in raises to certain employees. His resignation was called for again once leaders learned about his plan to call hundreds of acres a slum to pay for the renovations at the municipal building.

"He has mentioned to us that he wants to retire. He came up with a plan on announcing it in January. He also mentioned we should go out for professional services to find a qualified replacement," said Commissioner Joe Jackson.

Jackson says he's not sure if Russell's second in command, Tamika Allen can handle the job.

"I think bringing outside people in, bringing the non-connected people who have no ties to the area will set the stage for Augusta," said Jackson.

Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.

Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.
Something tells me that you aren't the only one that wanted him gone...
Russell fired as city administrator | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzy_ View Post
Something tells me that you aren't the only one that wanted him gone...
Russell fired as city administrator | The Augusta Chronicle
You're right , we need someone that is young with a good vision. I hope they don't have any ties to augusta.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
It doesn't matter who it is... he'll be working for a broken city government, answering to 10 bosses who will all telling him something different to do and gridlock will rule the day. The faces change, but incompetence is something this city government has perfected and the results stay the same. Imagine what this area could do if this roadblock of a power structure was by and large a sign of progress instead of a hindrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: