Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,142,782 times

Advertisements

Johnson pushes new $100 million coliseum complex at campaign announcement | The Augusta Chronicle

This would certainly be a game changer for downtown and bring bigger events to Augusta if this did happen. Also maybe the old James Brown Arena site could be redeveloped into a football stadium for a future GRU football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 PM

937 posts, read 1,796,032 times
I am never one to troll but guys, given the arena track record... I'm checking this one off as a pipe dream... Input anyone?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,906,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I am never one to troll but guys, given the arena track record... I'm checking this one off as a pipe dream... Input anyone?
It makes sense to build a 12,000 to 15,000 seat arena on the riverfront possibly near the old GGHOF property and a performing arts center in the lot next to the Augusta Convention Center. That type of development would put all downtown conventions within walking distance which would be huge. I think the city is at a critical point in time where anything now is possible, however the shenanigans with the commission must be addressed or as stated this will be just another pipe dream.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:47 AM

32 posts, read 41,782 times
Throwing my two cents in.. this is a bad dea. Infrastructure issues continue in the city. Stormdrains, roads, not to mention the administrator/commission's inability to balance the budget without dipping into reserves. We need to work on maintaining what we have before investing more downtown. One pretty big promise attached to the TEE center has yet to materialize. Unless that fabled 9th street Hyatt Hotel is invisible... Another big building will just dilute the business of existing venues.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:38 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,165,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongrezident View Post
Throwing my two cents in.. this is a bad dea. Infrastructure issues continue in the city. Stormdrains, roads, not to mention the administrator/commission's inability to balance the budget without dipping into reserves. We need to work on maintaining what we have before investing more downtown. One pretty big promise attached to the TEE center has yet to materialize. Unless that fabled 9th street Hyatt Hotel is invisible... Another big building will just dilute the business of existing venues.

I think T-Splost will handle a lot of the infrastructure issues. I think we need another coliseum but I'm not sure whether the timing is right yet especially with the budget issues like you mentioned. I'm curious to see how the commission works together after the elections.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 PM

937 posts, read 1,796,032 times
Yes, it's logical guys but come on.... It was logical when proposed for the regency mall site years ago too. It's almost like a don't get your hopes up type of thing. It's logical for the people but only going to happen if king Azziz says so.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:50 PM

119 posts, read 203,861 times
Does GRU have any plans of moving back up to division 1, if so some of their bigger games could be played there. Also a new arena makes alot of since if done correctly

Old 02-03-2014, 02:07 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,165,484 times
The thing is GRU is division 1 in golf, but division II in the rest. Maybe if their basketball and baseball teams can move up to division 1 then they will consider football. But who knows, they may consider it before then. I think right now the merger is still fresh and a lot of the plans are focused on getting the academics where they need to be as Georgia's 4th research university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area