Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM

808 posts, read 1,015,455 times

Advertisements

Both are college towns so i thought it was interesting to know the differences. I never been to Aiken, but what interested me was that Aiken has USC-Aiken(which is a satelite campus that has its own sports, WOW!). So both places are college towns with similar populations. So whats the differences; Restaurants, Downtown, Things to do, Vibe ect.? I know Aiken has Target and Statesboro doesnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:26 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
.... Aiken's downtown is unique. Aiken also has a love for horses, which is widely known in the region.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Aiken may have a college, but it's far from being what I'd describe as a "college town." But it is a very nice city, and the downtown area is really pretty and hip. Statesboro can't hold a candle to Aiken. Aiken wins ... by a horse's mile.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 PM

@Newsboy: lol you sure its by a horse's mile ?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The city of Statesboro is closer to the status of North Augusta, but the proximity to Augusta still gives North Augusta a huge advantage..

They don't have a Target in North Augusta similar to Statesboro either. They do have Walmart(another one under construction), Publix, Lowes, and Belk....

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-17-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM

So Aiken is bigger than North Augusta?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albania67 View Post
So Aiken is bigger than North Augusta?
Yes....

Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM

O ok

Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Statesboro is definitely more of a college town...Aiken, not so much.

USCA is satellite campus of USC in Columbia and most students just drive to class and live at home with parents or somewhere else off campus. Doesn't have a "college campus" vibe at all. Yeah, they have sports...but hardly anyone in the town cares and they only have a local following.

Georgia Southern on the other hand...it is probably the best college town experience for a school of that size. They party harder than some Div 1 colleges during football season- I couldn't believe the first time I went. Their alumni base stretches much further and they have an actual following and "brand" when it comes to college athletics.

Statesboro beyond the university was kind of bland and boring to me...depressing, if you will. Seems everything is a million miles away. That is where Aiken beats Statesboro overall, it has more of a package. Some good restaurants, decent areas to live, not a lot of trashy folks, and a good clean downtown for a town of Aiken's size.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Statesboro is definitely more of a college town...Aiken, not so much.

USCA is satellite campus of USC in Columbia and most students just drive to class and live at home with parents or somewhere else off campus. Doesn't have a "college campus" vibe at all. Yeah, they have sports...but hardly anyone in the town cares and they only have a local following.

Georgia Southern on the other hand...it is probably the best college town experience for a school of that size. They party harder than some Div 1 colleges during football season- I couldn't believe the first time I went. Their alumni base stretches much further and they have an actual following and "brand" when it comes to college athletics.

Statesboro beyond the university was kind of bland and boring to me...depressing, if you will. Seems everything is a million miles away. That is where Aiken beats Statesboro overall, it has more of a package. Some good restaurants, decent areas to live, not a lot of trashy folks, and a good clean downtown for a town of Aiken's size.
When was the last time you've been to USCA, since you live in Tampa? There are around 3500 students at USCA now, and nearly 1000 can live on campus with the dorm facilities they've built in the past 10 years. It's still very much a commuter campus, but I don't think you're as up to speed on its current state as you think. I don't disagree with anything you said about Statesboro, but Aiken is becoming more of a college town than you make it out to be. Granted, more of a college *side* of town than a college town, but nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area