Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Why would you want another Dollar General? I would rather the property site there empty before adding Dollar General....
No one said they wanted a Dollar General. They said Dollar General Market. Completely different concept.

And while I'm here... Did Nort REALLY just call someone out on their spelling earlier? REALLY? Talk about the pot and kettle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Quote:
The area near the Food Lion off Old Petersburg is not a different set of customers demographically or financially...

None of those grocery stores are close to the Food Lion off Old Petersburg road.. The nearest grocery store is the Walmart that was built decades ago..

It absolutely is a different set of customers... Racially, politically, financially… pretty much across the board you won't find a much more starker contrast from adjacent counties than in Columbia and Richmond. There may be one or two examples near Atlanta, but you get the point. How on God's green Earth can it not be different?

All I'm going to say is my grandmother owned a house on Holt Road which was less than one mile from her front door to the Food-Lion on Wrightsboro for 50 years… 50 years… believe what you want. VERY familiar with the area and if you pull up the 30909 zip code analysis, it doesn't describe the area around there at all… and by that I mean that Walton Way and West Augusta will skew the stats upward. The store on Wrightsboro is surrounded by apartments and neighborhoods who have seen their better days.

In regard to the one in Columbia County, places like BBJ Walmart or the Publix on Washington Road or the Kroger in Evans or taking "The Pass" and shooting over to Bi-Lo or the Publix on Fury's Ferry are all close enough for people to drive to because obviously they didn't support the Food Lion. Food Lion never had the footprint in Columbia County and came into the game too late, the customers never supported it and never developed the relationship they have with the other stores I've listed that have been around for quite a while or are simply a different animal altogether from Food-Lion itself.

Still waiting on your reply about the 1,3 and 5 mile population stats on describing an area (Augusta Mall) when the other day 2 miles and just under was simply too far to describe Regency…

Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Again, they knew for over 2 and a half years that Wal-Mart was coming…

Food Lion closing on Wrightsboro Road | The Augusta Chronicle

Spokeswoman for Food-Lion says it decided not to renew the lease, Wal-Mart coincidentally was also mentioned in the article as being built within walking distance. The three closings in Columbia County are a completely different set of clientele, the 3 stores were built in areas with existing grocery stores and just didn't work as Publix, Kroger and Wal-Mart have built a stranglehold over that part of town for many years now with Bi-Lo bringing up the rear. They tried a new concept in this area with these stores and it didn't go over. Personally I thought the Food-Lion stores were nice, but still found myself going to Wal-mart or Kroger.

It doesn't matter if they knew or not. If they were still doing good business it wouldn't have mattered who was locating across the street. The bottom line is Food Lion is a low quality store and has been suffering in this area for a while.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
It doesn't matter if they knew or not. If they were still doing good business it wouldn't have mattered who was locating across the street. The bottom line is Food Lion is a low quality store and has been suffering in this area for a while.
Food-Lion isn't perceived as high quality or a Publix clone by any means, you're right… that's why Wal-Mart setting up shop so close would hurt even more. The actual articles I've seen and read, mention Wal-Mart in every one of them.

They obviously thought they were doing good enough to renew the lease up until the point that Wal-Mart opened up. They're still going to keep nine stores open elsewhere in the area and the stores that closed in Columbia County is really comparable to this closing for reasons I've already listed elsewhere. They built some nice stores and tried to change their image in CC, it didn't work… they struggled for different reasons.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:00 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
It absolutely is a different set of customers... Racially, politically, financially… pretty much across the board you won't find a much more starker contrast from adjacent counties than in Columbia and Richmond. There may be one or two examples near Atlanta, but you get the point. How on God's green Earth can it not be different?

All I'm going to say is my grandmother owned a house on Holt Road which was less than one mile from her front door to the Food-Lion on Wrightsboro for 50 years… 50 years… believe what you want. VERY familiar with the area and if you pull up the 30909 zip code analysis, it doesn't describe the area around there at all… and by that I mean that Walton Way and West Augusta will skew the stats upward. The store on Wrightsboro is surrounded by apartments and neighborhoods who have seen their better days.

In regard to the one in Columbia County, places like BBJ Walmart or the Publix on Washington Road or the Kroger in Evans or taking "The Pass" and shooting over to Bi-Lo or the Publix on Fury's Ferry are all close enough for people to drive to because obviously they didn't support the Food Lion. Food Lion never had the footprint in Columbia County and came into the game too late, the customers never supported it and never developed the relationship they have with the other stores I've listed that have been around for quite a while or are simply a different animal altogether from Food-Lion itself.

Still waiting on your reply about the 1,3 and 5 mile population stats on describing an area (Augusta Mall) when the other day 2 miles and just under was simply too far to describe Regency…
How did politics even get into the discussion? My comment was related to Old Petersburg and the Wrightsboro rd area near Food Lion and had nothing to do with the entire counties...

I know multiple people who lived in the Old Petersburg, Blue Ridge, and Old Evans area.. I know somebody right now living off Blue Ridge Drive and Briarwood Drive... The 30907 analysis doesn't describe the area surrounding the Food Lion off Old Petersburg road.. The Martinez area(Furys Ferry and Stevens Creek) will skew the stats upward.. The Food Lion store off Old Petersburg is surrounded by apartments and neighborhoods who have seen their better days... The former Food Lion shopping center off Old Petersburg has been empty since 2012 and it's still vacant..

The middle/upper class neighborhoods off Jackson road(Kingston, Cedar Hill Lane) are under 1 mile from the Food Lion on Wrightsboro... There are $1 million homes for sale off Cedar Hill Lane.. The wealthy neighborhoods off Wrightsboro(Forest Hills) and Walton Way(Summerville, etc) are within 1 mile of the Food Lion.... None of these are in the 'immediate' area, but still much closer than places your naming...

Food Lion/Old Petersburg road =
3 miles to Publix on Furys Ferry
1 mile to Publix off Washington road
2 miles to Kroger off Washington
2 miles to Walmart
2 miles to Aldi
2.5 miles to Walmart

Food Lion store/Wrightsboro rd=
3 miles to Aldi
3 miles to Sams
3 miles to Walmart
1 miles to Kroger
1.5 mile to Bilo
half a mile to Walmart
4/5 miles to Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and Publix on Washington road

I never said the 3 or 5 mile populations were part of the Augusta mall area.. I was only stating the number of people who live in the 1, 3, and 5 mile populations area.. The overall point was to show more people live in/around Wrightsboro rd in West Augusta compared to Wrightsboro road in the mall..

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Food-Lion isn't perceived as high quality or a Publix clone by any means, you're right… that's why Wal-Mart setting up shop so close would hurt even more. The actual articles I've seen and read, mention Wal-Mart in every one of them.

They obviously thought they were doing good enough to renew the lease up until the point that Wal-Mart opened up. They're still going to keep nine stores open elsewhere in the area and the stores that closed in Columbia County is really comparable to this closing for reasons I've already listed elsewhere. They built some nice stores and tried to change their image in CC, it didn't work… they struggled for different reasons.
The media is the one mentioning Walmart and not the corporate from Food Lion...

The Food Lion shopping center off Old Petersburg road opened in the 1990's I believe, and it wasn't a nice store anymore by the time it closed in 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
No one said they wanted a Dollar General. They said Dollar General Market. Completely different concept.

And while I'm here... Did Nort REALLY just call someone out on their spelling earlier? REALLY? Talk about the pot and kettle...
I clearly read the comment, but didn't feel like putting Dollar General Market... I don't have to write Dollar General Market just to make you happy...

And while your on here.. Please read my comment again on here and you'll find out it was sarcasm... I was being sarcastic, because you and the same poster always make a huge deal whenever I misspell anything...

Who else made a HUGE deal over Khols instead of Kohl's except for you two?

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
Quote:
The media is the one mentioning Walmart and not the corporate from Food Lion...

The Food Lion shopping center off Old Petersburg road opened in the 1990's I believe, and it wasn't a nice store anymore by the time it closed in 2012...

I clearly read the comment, but didn't feel like putting Dollar General Market... I don't have to write Dollar General Market just to make you happy...

And while your on here.. Please read my comment again on here and you'll find out it was sarcasm... I was being sarcastic, because you and the same poster always bad a huge deal whenever I misspell anything...

Who else made a HUGE deal over Khols instead of Kohl's except for you two?

Always bad a huge deal?

Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
And to add, most of the time there is nothing CLEAR about your comments... and that always bad a huge deal!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:

I agree that Walmart definitely didn't help their situation. The majority of the blame goes to Food Lion and their quality to price ratio. As far as them renewing their lease, for all we know that had a long lease as most grocery stores do. I remember that the Walmart on Bobby Jones wanted to expand to Supercenter 10 years before they actually did but couldn't due to Bilo having a lease in the same shopping center. Once their lease was finally over, the owners decided not to renew BiLo's lease and Walmart was able to add a grocery section and become a Supercenter.

On Deans Bridge there is a Walmart Supercenter, IGA and Kroger all within a mile of each other and neither store is hurting for business because those stores do typically well so Walmart doesn't phase them (the IGA actually opened after Walmart did). Augusta is just not a Food Lion city.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Bi-Lo #5103, Petersburg Shoppes, 500 Furys Ferry Road Suite 107, Martinez, GA 30907-7900

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I agree that Walmart definitely didn't help their situation. The majority of the blame goes to Food Lion and their quality to price ratio. As far as them renewing their lease, for all we know that had a long lease as most grocery stores do. I remember that the Walmart on Bobby Jones wanted to expand to Supercenter 10 years before they actually did but couldn't due to Bilo having a lease in the same shopping center. Once their lease was finally over, the owners decided not to renew BiLo's lease and Walmart was able to add a grocery section and become a Supercenter.

On Deans Bridge there is a Walmart Supercenter, IGA and Kroger all within a mile of each other and neither store is hurting for business because those stores do typically well so Walmart doesn't phase them (the IGA actually opened after Walmart did). Augusta is just not a Food Lion city.
Did Bi-Lo on Bobby Jones Expressway close without relocating elsewhere, or did it relocate and become #5103, located at Petersburg Shoppes, 500 Furys Ferry Road Suite 107, Martinez, GA 30907-7900?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area