Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:07 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
From what I saw its basically improvements to the inside turn lanes to get onto the interstate. All they are doing is separating and extending the lanes with a raised barrier which is basically putting a small bandage on a deep cut.
It seemed like I remember the lanes going to left side of the road similar to a ddi however it's been so long since I've seen the blueprints that you're probably right that they are just adding a raised barrier. It would make sense to go ahead and transition it to a DDI. Let's face it, there's only one mall on this side of the river and with more people moving here, traffic around that interchange is going to become even more a headache than it already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 01:23 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
It seemed like I remember the lanes going to left side of the road similar to a ddi however it's been so long since I've seen the blueprints that you're probably right that they are just adding a raised barrier. It would make sense to go ahead and transition it to a DDI. Let's face it, there's only one mall on this side of the river and with more people moving here, traffic around that interchange is going to become even more a headache than it already is.
Yeah its like half a DDI something like a cheap bandage. With tens of thousands of new people moving to area along with much higher than average paying jobs that are associated with Cyber Security and Networking thats a lot of disposable income which means more traffic for the area. The only way I see this working out is 1) Build a 3 lane DDI and solve traffic problems all together, 2) Attract a developer to build a second mall west of Grovetown and try to offset some of the traffic.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:41 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Yeah its like half a DDI something like a cheap bandage. With tens of thousands of new people moving to area along with much higher than average paying jobs that are associated with Cyber Security and Networking thats a lot of disposable income which means more traffic for the area. The only way I see this working out is 1) Build a 3 lane DDI and solve traffic problems all together, 2) Attract a developer to build a second mall west of Grovetown and try to offset some of the traffic.

You're right it was like a half DDI if I'm remembering correctly. Only the turning lanes go over to the opposite side instead of the all of the lanes.

If the average HH income increases then it's possible the metro could get a third mall, or a lifestyle center. Who would be the anchors? Von Maur isn't currently in the market. There would at least have to be 2 anchors I would imagine.

Regardless of a second mall being built, I still think your first suggestion of building a 3 lane DDI would be needed for Wrightsboro Rd.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:23 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,346 times
Default My Wrightsboro DDI

This is a quick doodle of how a potential Wrightsboro Rd DDI would look.
Attached Thumbnails
Columbia County looking to put DDI at I-20/Lewiston Road-2014-11-01-17-17-19  

Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
I would not mind seeing single point urban interchanges replacing substandard interchanges in the Augusta area. Diverging diamond interchanges are gaining popularity being a quick fix and an economic alternative to SPUIs.

Lewistown Road needs more than an intersection improvement with Interstate 20. It needs to be widened to four lanes south into Grovetown and north to Columbia Road. (Widening Hereford Farm Road to four lanes to Evans would not be a bad idea also.)

Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would not mind seeing single point urban interchanges replacing substandard interchanges in the Augusta area. Diverging diamond interchanges are gaining popularity being a quick fix and an economic alternative to SPUIs.

Lewistown Road needs more than an intersection improvement with Interstate 20. It needs to be widened to four lanes south into Grovetown and north to Columbia Road. (Widening Hereford Farm Road to four lanes to Evans would not be a bad idea also.)

It is being widened as well as having the intersection improved. Haven't heard anything about widening Hereford Farm Road however. They should go ahead and widen it too but it seems as if the way to do things is to wait until the roads are already over capacity instead of planning ahead.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,160,738 times
UPDATE: I-20 remains shut down after tractor trailer accident

It seems like every an accident is shutting down I-20 in Aiken or Columbia County. I-20 seriously needs to be widened ASAP.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:43 AM

423 posts, read 447,302 times
I dont foresee congress being willing to authorize the money for that any time soon, I mean heck they know alot of the bridges and dams need extensive work done and and they arent even willing to spend the money on those let alone a widening project.
No the only way that we are going to get I-20 widened in the next 10 years is we are willing to pay for it ourselves imo.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:59 PM

77 posts, read 157,782 times
That ddi would be awesome at lewiston!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,160,738 times
First 'diverging diamond' traffic pattern coming to the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area