Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
When Calhoun Expressway was built I520 (Bobby Jones Expy) was only less than halfway completed. It stopped at deans Bridge Rd. Calhoun was built to give better access directly downtown from I20.. however it never connected directly to I20.. you had to travel several miles and through many stoplights down Washington Rd before Calhoun Expwy even started. Then in the early 1990s Riverwatch Pkwy opened that provided direct access to downtown from I20.. Some studies have suggested that Calhoun should be removed. I agree. All it did was divide Harrisburg in half and obstructs the best view of Sacred heart. With Riverwatch, there is really no need for Calhoun anymore.
I doubt River watch would be upgraded
The River watch market place area seems to prevent it
from ever connecting
with I-20 in a way in which it can ramp off like an expressway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:28 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,402 times
I520 already connects with I20 at 2 places so I really do not understand the premise of this post. When the plans for I20 were being discussed originally it was going to go right past downtown but then the route got shifted further west, mainly because that is where certain "prominent" people owned vast tracks of land and they got big payouts. Riverwatch was supposed to originally be a true expressway into downtown from I20 but it never quite turned out that way. Now they are jamming new developements over there increasing traffic defeating its original purpose

Old 02-01-2015, 06:50 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I520 already connects with I20 at 2 places so I really do not understand the premise of this post. When the plans for I20 were being discussed originally it was going to go right past downtown but then the route got shifted further west, mainly because that is where certain "prominent" people owned vast tracks of land and they got big payouts. Riverwatch was supposed to originally be a true expressway into downtown from I20 but it never quite turned out that way. Now they are jamming new developements over there increasing traffic defeating its original purpose
I wish they could come up with a way to
connect downtown again

Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
I wish they could come up with a way to
connect downtown again
Riverwatch already does that. All you have to do is make Alexander Drive into an overpass to the Village at Riverwatch and build ramps and all of a sudden Riverwatch is a freeway again.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Riverwatch already does that. All you have to do is make Alexander Drive into an overpass to the Village at Riverwatch and build ramps and all of a sudden Riverwatch is a freeway again.
Needs a lot more work on the exits/on-ramps to I-20 for me to call that a freeway. Could honestly use a well thought out spaghetti junction like the 520/20 interchange up the road in Martinez.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Needs a lot more work on the exits/on-ramps to I-20 for me to call that a freeway. Could honestly use a well thought out spaghetti junction like the 520/20 interchange up the road in Martinez.
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised a system of C/D lanes hasn't already been built between Riverwatch and Washington Rd. Riverwatch is one of those roads that the area will become increasingly reliant on especially if the trends continues and more jobs come to downtown.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Yeah, I'm honestly surprised a system of C/D lanes hasn't already been built between Riverwatch and Washington Rd. Riverwatch is one of those roads that the area will become increasingly reliant on especially if the trends continues and more jobs come to downtown.
The sad thing is that whole thing at Riverwatch was completely redone what, like 6 or 7 years ago? Very poor planning there.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
The sad thing is that whole thing at Riverwatch was completely redone what, like 6 or 7 years ago? Very poor planning there.
Very so. I actually created an entire outline on here on how to turn Riverwatch into a complete freeway. It's a shame that Washington Rd hasn't been transformed to look like Wheeler Rd with 4 lanes of traffic separated by a landscaped raised median, no powerlines, bike lanes and walking paths and limited access to stores and business to control the flow of traffic. All this can be done if Riverwatch is upgraded to 6 lanes, with a concrete median and allowed to function as a complete freeway, and raising the speed limited to 65 never hurts 35 MPH once you get to I-20 is ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
This just a suggestion what about making riverwatch rd n Washington rd into oneway roads.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:27 PM

515 posts, read 631,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
This just a suggestion what about making riverwatch rd n Washington rd into oneway roads.
Washington road into a one way road?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area