Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM

935 posts, read 1,649,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
If you settled in North Augusta away from the river, that's fine. But settling ON the river and expecting the area to never grow would have been - and still is - foolish. People in Mr. Donahue's precious River Club sanctuary seem to have no issue getting out of town during Masters week for the corporate circus that moves in there each year. I don't hear him or anyone else raising a fuss about that. Can't have it both ways.
So you're saying that this gentleman down here should not have the rights or any business to treat HIS OWN PERSONAL PAID FOR OUTTA HIS OWN POCKETS properties like he sees fit, within the law, but the city govt should seek out AND is entitled to any and all govt 'grant' moneys offered (because it's out there, why not ?). Can't have it both ways ??

Sorry, I dont see how you figure to have any sayso at all about what a man does WITH HIS OWN BOUGHT AND PAID FOR STUFF, an individuals private property, yet you feel it is your right to impose on those privately owned properties with your gov't backed projects.

and from pja:

"This...I can't believe that people actually thought they would have quiet, peaceful country style living when you are technically right between 2 downtown areas, one of which is a mid sized city."

These folk did not buy into any kind of sleepy retirement community crap - THEY LIVE ACROSS THE RIVER FROM BROAD STREET ! But to place a public use facility in that tight a spot was not in the long range original plans. A little shopping/dining but not this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
So you're saying that this gentleman down here should not have the rights or any business to treat HIS OWN PERSONAL PAID FOR OUTTA HIS OWN POCKETS properties like he sees fit, within the law, but the city govt should seek out AND is entitled to any and all govt 'grant' moneys offered (because it's out there, why not ?). Can't have it both ways ??

Sorry, I dont see how you figure to have any sayso at all about what a man does WITH HIS OWN BOUGHT AND PAID FOR STUFF, an individuals private property, yet you feel it is your right to impose on those privately owned properties with your gov't backed projects.
If you bothered to read, I clearly said earlier that I don't think the grant should be approved, either.

Quote:
But hear me when I say I also don't think the grant should be approved.
The property in question for Project Jackson was also bought and paid for...and is privately owned. I absolutely don't have a say-so in what a man does with his personal property. My point is that if it's okay with River Club homeowners to turn their neighborhood into a corporate circus surrounding the Masters, then it rather negates any clout they may have in saying this ballpark would disrupt their community. Don't hear any complaints over the loud Augusta Southern Nationals or any other events held on the river, either, and those are closer and more "disturbing" than this park will be. Clearly your definition of "imposing" on privately owned properties is designed to suit your personal wishes.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:01 PM

you know who bought and paid for it (property in ?), right ? me and you, if you're a taxpaying property owning citizen.

Like I said, they knew BroadSt was right over there but who knows what thousands of people coming and going 'll bring - it's a unknown.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM

57 posts, read 76,494 times
I for one can't wait for Project Jackson. The CSRA as a whole is relatively lacking in entertainment options and this will put a nice development with easy access for me. If Project Jackson were put on a city wide ballot it would be approved easily. Everyone I've talked to from different areas of the city are for it except people leaving in the River Club. Hammonds Ferry residents who are more affected by the development support the project as a majority. I'm eager for construction to start soon and am hoping we get some high quality dining options.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 AM

Common Sense in North Augusta - The North Augusta Star

again, I am just the messenger.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Looks like the cost for project Jackson will be increasing more because of the parking decks. Also a major economic development announcement is planned for next week.
Quote:
The new parking decks will be located closer to the site of Project Jackson and they are expensive, indeed.
City officials estimate the two together will cost $16 million dollars. That brings the city’s Project Jackson total to more than $60 million.
“So our budget is higher than it was when we originally started, but as we’ve gone through this process we’ve worked with the developers and in every increase in our budget they have had to step up and provide more development,” Glover said.
The three parking decks bring the parking space amount for Project Jackson up to 1,500.
As work is about to finish on the first deck, city officials continue to work on the contracts for the rest of the $190-million dollar project.
Glover says once signed, it will take 14 months to build the stadium.
“If there is not some serious movement in late fall of this year, it puts that opening date in jeopardy,” Glover said.
The North Augusta City Council is set to meet Monday night at 7pm to discuss Project Jackson.
The public is invited to that work session.
Also, the city is going to announce a major economic development next week. They’re calling this one “Project Locker.”
Project Jackson Cost Increases Because of Parking Decks

Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
I wonder what the LD's for the MEDAC facility are costing.....

Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 PM

Should be interesting to see if North Augusta can get all of the paper work done in the next four months. The Greenjackets want their new home ready by April 2017.
Quote:
210 million dollars, that's the latest expected investment for Project Jackson in North Augusta. $70 million from the city, and another $140 million in private investment. That doesn't even include the impact of existing businesses like edge salon and formals. David Towles, Edge Salon & Formals Owner, says, "As a business person I'm supportive of having more people down here, having more business, because more business interacting with the businesses that are here, all we can do is benefit each other."
Business owners and baseball fans are excited, but construction hasn't started yet. The Green Jackets want to be in a new stadium by April 2017. North Augusta City Administrator Todd Glover says to meet that deadline, they need to start clearing land by November or December of this year. Before they can start doing that, the city council needs to do several things, like approve financing, lock in developers and reach leasing agreements.
That's a lot to get done in the next four months, and existing business owners are anxious to see how it all plays out.
"We'd love to see them coming down to Hammond's Ferry to eat and shop and hopefully get their hair done. So we're already thinking about how we can approach new people coming to the area," says Towles.
The City Council held a meeting tonight to get up-to-date on all of the most recent details on the project, but no vote is expected.
Latest details on Project Jackson

Old 10-19-2015, 05:07 PM

The vote is tonight for the Project Jackson details. They need to break ground soon to meet that April 2017 deadline...
Quote:
After years of planning, the North Augusta City Council is discussing three big Project Jackson items:

1. Creating a municipal improvement district which would help the city recoup money through taxes.
2. Borrowing up to $75 million to cover the cost of new infrastructure around the development.
3. Approving Project Jackson's master development plan.

Approving the development plan and borrowing the money means the city is close to breaking ground, something Manuel couldn't be more excited about.
Three big Project Jackson items on North Augusta agenda

Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 AM

The last four days in the big paper:

Buck stops with citizens | The Augusta Chronicle
01/08/16

Let us vote on stadium | The Augusta Chronicle
01/07/16

Stadium will snarl traffic | The Augusta Chronicle
01/06/16

Stadium? Look at floods | The Augusta Chronicle
01/04/16

City has no concerns or for the parking during events ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area