U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM

6,221 posts, read 5,058,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Fifteen green way-finding signs that direct motorists to Augusta University were replaced last month to reflect the school’s new name, city officials said.
The signs, initially installed under the guidance of the Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau in October 2014, were swapped in mid-December, roughly two weeks after the school changed its legal name from Georgia Regents University to Augusta University, said Jennifer Bowen, vice president of destination development at the visitors bureau.
“It just so happened that we were doing some repair work and were able to get permission to update the signs,” Bowen said.
In September, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents voted to rename the school to one of the preferred choices from a $45,500 survey conducted prior to the consolidation of Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences universities.
To replace the signs, AU spokeswoman Christen Carter said, the university spent $14,560, money that had been previously budgeted as operational funds.
The new signs are mostly concentrated in the area of Walton Way, Wrightsboro and Wheeler roads, and side streets such as Highland and Central avenues. A few of the signs are on Gordon Highway, Bowen said.
New way-finding signs reflect Augusta University name change | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

Name changes are coming to the medical center. It will now be known as AU Medical Center...
Quote:
University President and Health System CEO Brooks A. Keel has asked for the following changes:

Georgia Regents Health System: AU Health

Georgia Regents Medical Center: AU Medical Center

Georgia Regents Medical Associates: AU Medical Associates

The children's hospital will remain the Children's Hospital of Georgia. All other clinical operations will be renamed to include Augusta University, according to a release from the university.
Name changes to come for hospitals associated with Augusta University

Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM

7,275 posts, read 10,023,279 times
Thanks for the post, I missed this name change. While it is regrettable that the board of Regents have changed this so many times it is laughable, it isn't as laughable as the last two names. Augusta University is a much better name than Georgia Regents by a long shot.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,481,189 times
Wow just wow! Check out the new logo in this video below.

https://m.facebook.com/GeorgiaRegentsU/

Old 01-21-2016, 07:58 AM

I like it! Simple, yet elegant.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:29 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,561,946 times
Great video

Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
AU released its plan for capital projects and changes to run through 2023, a plan that could potentially cost “hundreds of millions of dollars” if fully implemented, said Chief Business Officer Tony Wagner, although no figures have yet been affixed to it.
The university is planning for enrollment growth in all nine of its colleges over that time period and an overall enrollment growth of 20 percent, from 7,172 to 8,603, and a 38 percent overall growth in faculty from 1,325 to 1,830. But those growth plans depend upon first moving the College of Science and Mathematics from the Summerville campus to the Health Sciences campus and then renovating the main buildings on the Summerville campus to allow for growth of the three remaining colleges there, Wagner said.
“Right now, we do not have a lot of excess capacity across any of our programs, whether it be research or undergraduate instruction,” Wagner said. “In the near term, the first domino to fall hopefully will be moving Science and Mathematics to the Health Sciences campus” and into a new building.
That project has been discussed with the University System of Georgia but has not yet been approved, he said. Most of the university’s plans will look at renovation of existing space rather than putting up new buildings, Wagner said.
“A key planning principle was definitely to focus on maximizing existing space and then renovating before building new,” he said. In fact, of the 4.2 million square footage that will be affected by the plan, only 718,700 would be new construction, according to the plan.
AU Master Plan looks at moves, building | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 02-04-2016, 05:48 AM

Hull College ranked a top business schools by The Princeton Review | NBC26.tv

Old 02-08-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
"This is a college town that didn't really know it was a college town," Dr. Keel said.

Now, people are starting to recognize. It's creating a buzz Augusta hasn't felt before

"I heard a number of students say wow this really feels like a college now," Dr. Keel told News 12. "It has a college feel. It has a swag to it that we didn't really have before."

Dr. Keel's trying to bring a lot of things the city has never seen before, like a top 50 medical school.

Augusta University is the only public medical college in the state of Georgia. He says it's a shame we are not a top 50 medical school. We also have the only Dental school in Georgia.

He also wants to expand research facilities, expand the Summerville campus, and move the Math and Science college from Summerville to the Health Sciences campus.

He also has a vision for the old King and Sibley Mills and the Golf and Gardens property, which the university owns.

"We have a chance, I think, to work with the city and county, Ft. Gordon, and NSA to locate some research, some residential, some retail, some classroom space in that part of the city," Dr. Keel said.

Even though it seems like a small thing, the banners downtown could be the start to a much bigger change.

"I have not returned home to retire, although I hope there's a place for me here when I do. I have hit the ground running, and I don't plan to slow down for many years to come," Dr. Keel said.

"Just seeing the banners and everything hung up now makes me think people are starting to walk down here again," Newman said.
The beginning of Augusta the college town

Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
"Behind us they're building, you know, the new freshman dorms," Cerrato says, "and they've actually built it quite fast starting from, I believe, last fall 'till, like, now."

The dorms are just the start of more expansion coming to the University. They're already expanding the University Cancer Center at the corner of Laney Walker and R.A. Boulevards.

Alone with renovations, they're adding a three-story connector between the research and outpatient centers.

Augusta University Brooks Keel says the renovation will help lead to better research.

"A campus Master Plan of this magnitude and the comprehensive nature is not all about just new construction," President Keels says. "It is about repurposing existing and renovating and renovation of existing space."

But growth here will send ripple effects into Downtown Augusta. Metro Coffeehouse and Pub Manager Eric Rogers says the college crowd is key. He says more expansion means more business.

"Oh, this will absolutely be a positive thing for Downtown," Rogers says. "Our particular demographic we're excited about is getting the young business professional to come in and revitalize a downtown area."

Cerrato says it's happening just in time.
Big changes coming to Augusta University's Medical campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or