Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:10 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times

Advertisements

Those people who don't believe the school is slowly relocating downtown must be blind. All signs point to a centralized campus downtown. Not to beat a dead horse but it wouldn't surprise me to see land in and around the old Fat Man's Forest Store bought up as the school awaits the inevitable decision to close down Paine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Those people who don't believe the school is slowly relocating downtown must be blind. All signs point to a centralized campus downtown. Not to beat a dead horse but it wouldn't surprise me to see land in and around the old Fat Man's Forest Store bought up as the school awaits the inevitable decision to close down Paine.
MCG already owns the old Fat Man's location and much of the property around it. The old Fat Man's is now collectively known as Parking Lot 70.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
MCG already owns the old Fat Man's location and much of the property around it. The old Fat Man's is now collectively known as Parking Lot 70.
Touche'

Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Touche'
Until they build at least a couple more large parking decks, that's about all they'll be doing with the land on the outskirts of the health sciences campus. The master plan has them taking out the large parking lot that is surrounded by CHOG, Ronald McDonald House, the Health Sciences building and the Greenblatt Library and turning that into a quad. Same goes for the large gravel lot in front of the new Ed Commons building (and next to all the added dorms they're building). Though the new decks will be on the furthest edges of the campus once that happens. I'm all for some green space, but with the terrible shuttle system they have in place to get people form parking to their destination, it sounds like a horrible idea.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:14 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
The movie filming in Augusta will be using the Children's Hospital of Georgia as a set location.

According to hospital officials, Reflecting Pool Productions has been working with Augusta University over the last couple of months to bring filming to the hospital.*The Reason*is a faith-based film about a child fighting cancer. The hospital says the agreement was made last week.

Filming at the Children's Hospital is scheduled to begin on Friday, Feb. 6 and continues on Feb. 27, March 1-2 and March 15-17. The production will involve several people, including movie crew members working on everything from set assembly to hair and makeup. Hospital officials say the film crew assured it will do its best to minimize disruptions, especially to patient care areas.

The hospital says even with the challenge to the staff, it is an opportunity to showcase the facility and services.

<i>The Reason</i> will be filming at the Children's Hospital of Georgia

Old 03-06-2016, 03:13 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
An article from today's Chronicle discussing growth of the athletic facilities at the university. While AU doesn't plan on adding football, I would love to see the basketball program eventually moved up to Division I again. I think a conference like the Southern Conference or the Atlantic 10 would be a perfect fit.

Quote:
In addition to new facilities, there will also be a field for women’s soccer, which will probably be the next sport the school adds, Bryant said. The move has been approved by the University System of Georgia Board of Regents, and the school is just waiting on enrollment to grow to provide the athletic fees needed for what is likely at least a $250,000 investment to start a program, he said.
The move is necessary to keep pace with Title IX requirements to provide adequate opportunities for a female undergraduate population nearing 70 percent, Bry*ant said. He also wants to add a women’s rowing program.
“We have a long history of rowing in this town and (because of) the facilities we already have down on the Savannah River,” Bryant said. That growth could come from the Atlanta area, where projections are that by 2020 the high schools in that 16-county region will be producing 100,000 graduates a year, he said.
“Every university and college in the country right now has a big bull’s-eye on metro Atlanta,” Bryant said. Augus*ta could have an advantage “being an interstate ride away and being 2½ hours east,” he said. As opposed to peer institutions like the University of Alabama-Birmingham, “because of the HOPE scholarship and in-state tuition, Augusta University is going to be a destination for those students,” Bryant said.
Walking around the edge of the arena, Bryant walks onto one of two mezzanines where a 1,000-seat bleacher can be added to increase capacity. Originally a 2,200-seat arena, seating was added to bring it up to about 3,000 and that has proved adequate.
“It’s perfect for a school of our size,” he said.
The school was grandfathered in by the NCAA as a “multi-classification school” where most teams compete as Division II except for men’s and women’s golf, which have been highly successful at the Division I level, Bryant said. Any more change would be at a steep cost - a nearly $2 million NCAA application fee and finding a conference at that level to join. It would also have to be approved by the Board of Regents, which Bry*ant said wisely decided to limit schools’ ability to make major moves without its approval. It could be the school looks at the situation and decides “we might just be where we want to be,” he said.
One move he cannot see the university making is adding a football team, particularly because of the cost.
“You don’t even want to talk about it,” Bryant said with a loud sigh.
He estimates there are probably 25 universities that make money off football, all of them major programs. In the type of smaller conference AU would probably seek to join, such as the Southern Conference, “I don’t know if one school in the Southern Conference made money on football,” Bryant said. “It’s just an expensive, expensive sport.”
Augusta University master plan sees athletic growth | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 03-18-2016, 02:21 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times
The "University of Augusta" sounds classier but I'm glad for the change.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Augusta University and U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence will share resources to provide cyber training, education and research.

Augusta University and the U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence will sign an agreement Friday, April 15. That agreement is to share resources to train people for cyber jobs.

Augusta University President Brooks Keel says, “This agreement is a logical, necessary step toward developing a highly-trained workforce who can keep our community, our businesses and our country safe in cyberspace.”

As part of the agreement, Augusta University offer more online courses and enroll service members in its cyber programs. On the other side, the U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence, will provide instructors, give internships for Augusta University students and help build the cyber curriculum.
Augusta University, Cyber Center partner up for cyber education

Old 04-12-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Creating and training the next generation of talent all in one location is huge, folks can get their initial training in the army and slide into a degree with AU and on to potential employers. The only issue I can see with this is the folks down in Athens and at Tech don't seem to like any other university out performing them in any category besides medicine so its going to be interesting to see how much the state pours into Augusta particularly with Atlanta trying something similar with Tech. Second how will the army keep talented soldiers from jumping ship and leaving for the private sector particularly with AU being right down the road, once the Cyber Institute grows to one of the largest in the nation.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:44 PM

Laney Walker Blvd is open...
Quote:
All closures were removed Wednesday and there will not be any further traffic detours. Vehicles can again access the road from both 15th Street and R.A. Dent Boulevard.

The .36-mile stretch of road has been narrowed to two lanes, raised crosswalks have been added and new landscaping planted. The enhancements improve the road’s safety for pedestrians and motorists and improve the road’s appearance.

“The enhancements to Laney-Walker Boulevard make the road much safer for the Augusta University staff, faculty and students that cross it daily in walking from one side of campus to the other. By narrowing the road to two lanes and by adding raised crosswalks, motorists are encouraged to slow down and be more vigilant for pedestrians. A bonus is the new landscaping, which adds character to the Health Sciences Campus and improves the road’s overall aesthetic,” said Augusta University Vice President of Facilities Services Phil Howard.

Over the next few weeks, final paint striping will be completed and final touches will be added on either side of the road. These tasks will be completed using flagmen for traffic control and will not involve traffic detours.
Laney-Walker Boulevard now open to all traffic |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area