U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 11:56 PM

1,029 posts, read 956,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Didn't Paine already hold a "successful " fundraising campaign? Asking folks to donate $100 around the holidays may be too much to ask of the average person. I really hope that isn't their grand plan to save the school or they might as well just turn off the lights now.

Commissioner Launches Paine College Fund Raiser | WJBF-TV
I think the "successful" campaign was just to help them meet payroll. By all accounts I've seen and read, they should've turned off the lights quite a while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 5,068,554 times
According to the city administrator, the talks today did not involve giving Paine College city money. Instead, they will try to raise the $3 million using other means...

Quote:
Sullivan discussed Paine’s financial hardship at the meeting, but both recognize that a gift from the city could divide residents and Augusta Commission members, Jackson said.
“I don’t think Paine would turn it down, but he also knows this is a very divisive issue,” she said. “We agreed that our primary focus will be using our contacts and knowledge to work with Paine to put together a fundraising plan that will
encompass the entire community.”
Sullivan has said Paine needs about $3 million to get its finances in order. The historically black college is on accreditation probation for financial mismanagement, and the Southern Asso*ciation of Colleges and Schools will make a final decision in June on whether to revoke its accreditation permanently.
The issue divides the commission, which includes two Paine alumni.
Commissioner Ben Ha*san, who recently challenged constituents to donate $100 to the school as he did and encourage two others to do the same, said a city contribution wasn’t on his radar.
“They need to come up with long-term solutions,” Com**mis*sioner Wayne Guil*foyle said. “We don’t have money, No. 1. We’ve got to pay back taxes to the state. If my colleagues need to give money (to Paine) they need to give it out of their own pocket,” something Guilfoyle said he would do.
Paine talks not about city donating cash, administrator says | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 01-30-2016, 05:29 AM

937 posts, read 1,492,066 times
I'm sure it's "convenient" to drop the "we don't have the money" line when it pertains to actually assisting with something of substance, but I'm sure that if the city wanted to donate $3 mill to AU for some BS sign project or golf course on the roof of the hospital, it would be a ground breaking milestone historical investment. I'm so over these people here smh. It all boils down to people wanting to invest and give attention to what they want to give their time and attention to. The "fund raiser" bs was thrown out there as smoke and mirrors, if Paine could raise the money with a fund raiser, it would have done so already!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I'm sure it's "convenient" to drop the "we don't have the money" line when it pertains to actually assisting with something of substance, but I'm sure that if the city wanted to donate $3 mill to AU for some BS sign project or golf course on the roof of the hospital, it would be a ground breaking milestone historical investment. I'm so over these people here smh. It all boils down to people wanting to invest and give attention to what they want to give their time and attention to. The "fund raiser" bs was thrown out there as smoke and mirrors, if Paine could raise the money with a fund raiser, it would have done so already!
"Something of substance"? I'm sorry, but a fiscally irresponsible *private* college that has run itself into the ground financially more than once and, by all appearances, has not made great strides in addressing the root causes, is not something any public government needs to be squandering money on. Just because it has the "HBCU" title tacked on it does not make it a reasonable thing to throw taxpayer money away on. When private entities fail to be profitable or fail to meet their financial obligations, they sell or they close up shop. If I were a business owner with employees and I couldn't make payroll, I would never expect the city or any other form of government to come pay for my mismanagement. I find the fact that they even asked the city for money appalling. Get it together, merge with another institution, or shut it down.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:28 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,564,463 times
They need to sale Paine to Augusta technical college

Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 PM

937 posts, read 1,492,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
"Something of substance"? I'm sorry, but a fiscally irresponsible *private* college that has run itself into the ground financially more than once and, by all appearances, has not made great strides in addressing the root causes, is not something any public government needs to be squandering money on. Just because it has the "HBCU" title tacked on it does not make it a reasonable thing to throw taxpayer money away on. When private entities fail to be profitable or fail to meet their financial obligations, they sell or they close up shop. If I were a business owner with employees and I couldn't make payroll, I would never expect the city or any other form of government to come pay for my mismanagement. I find the fact that they even asked the city for money appalling. Get it together, merge with another institution, or shut it down.
Tell that to the car companies that needed loans a few years back in order to keep from closing! Moral of the story, the "tax payers" money is only conveniently such when necessary!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,482,724 times
Quote:
Tell that to the car companies that needed loans a few years back in order to keep from closing! Moral of the story, the "tax payers" money is only conveniently such when necessary!
I thinks that's a completely different beast. Paine doesn't even have a real vision for the future. The area is surrounded by some of souths best hospitals, AU is right across the street. The area will soon be at the center of the cyber explosion yet the school doesn't seem to be taking advantage of any of that. Paine needs a clear vision for tomorrow before a cent of tax payer money should be used IMO.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, because bailing out an industry that supports millions of people and bailing out a small, low enrollment private college simply because it's "historic" are the same thing. I'm not saying the auto industry bailout was necessarily done the way it should have been, but it most certainly made more sense than this cluster would.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 PM

370 posts, read 249,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Yes, because bailing out an industry that supports millions of people and bailing out a small, low enrollment private college simply because it's "historic" are the same thing. I'm not saying the auto industry bailout was necessarily done the way it should have been, but it most certainly made more sense than this cluster would.
If this area was dependent on the auto industry I could maybe understand bring that up but since its not ....................*shrug*

As for bailing Paine out itself I have no real feelings either way, I just hope they carefully weigh all of the pros and cons before they proceed.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,482,724 times
Paine announces changes | Mobile Augusta

Quote:
Paine College on Monday announced a number of changes coming out of its recent spring meeting, including restructuring the membership of its board of trustees and the board’s accepting “ultimate responsibility” for correcting fiscal and managerial problems that have plagued the college since 2013.
A news release also reported that the board unanimously had adopted a resolution to bring back the interim president, Dr. Samuel Sullivan, for a one-year term. Sullivan has been the interim president since September 2014, when George Bradley resigned.
Barbara E. Bouknight was elected the chairwoman of the board of trustees, and Michael Thurmond was elected chairman-elect at the meeting, held April 22-23. Both are lawyers.

“Our top priority will be to continue the stabilization of the administrative and fiscal management of Paine College and the resolution of all remaining issues with our accrediting agency,” Bouknight said in the news release.
The private college went into 2015 on probation from the Sou*thern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Com*mis*sion on Colleges for being in violation of several standards, including financial stability. It ended the year seeking donations from the community and alumni to help pay the salaries of some employees.
The Augusta Chronicle reported last year that Paine lost $2.9 million in assets by the end of 2014, its fourth consecutive year of revenue loss, while the amount it owed on a line of credit rose from $3.8 million to $5.4 million.
Late last year, the college held a fundraiser that brought in more than $250,000 to help it meet payroll and other demands, and it was hoping to have $1.5 million by the end of the fiscal year in June after it cut its $25 million budget by 20 percent, according to previous Chronicle stories.
The college said it got some good news this year when the Commission on Colleges said it cleared up one of the key areas of concern: control of finances.
The college states that the commission has lifted seven of the 10 areas of noncompliance that landed the school on probation, and it credited Sullivan’s leadership.
“On behalf of the Board of Trustees, I offer our deepest appreciation to Dr. Sullivan for leading the College through these challenging times,” Bouknight said in the release. “He is a wise and thoughtful leader who has become a beacon of hope and inspiration during the most difficult period in the history of our College.”
The board adopted a resolution calling for a selection of a search committee for a permanent president that will include college alumni, faculty members, students, church denominational leaders, and business and community members. The search committee will include at least one board member and will be selected before June 1, according to the news release.
June will be a big month for the school as the Commission on Colleges makes a decision about Paine’s fate. Because colleges can be on probation for only two years, Paine’s options are to be taken off probation or to lose its accreditation,
“My primary objective is to move the College toward unqualified accreditation. The Augusta/CSRA community and the State of Georgia rely upon this Institution to provide an accessible and quality education for students,” Sullivan said in the statement, adding that Paine is still fully accredited while on probation. “The Board of Trustees, members of the administration, alumni, friends, faculty, staff and students are working together to achieve this important objective.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area