U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

220 posts, read 151,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinedou View Post
Personally I wouldn't want a waitstaff to be walking around taking orders and doing refills while I was watching a movie. The idea of having more food choices and beer, even if I have to carry it, is apealing to me. So I am willing to give it a go before I criticize it.

Having a waitstaff really is not a detriment to the dining experience it adds to it. The theaters are big enough and the layout is completely different from an average theater. I was really hoping for the combined experience as well as the ability to reserve specific seats in theatre. But because that part is missing it is a really nice theater with nothing more than a glorified snack bar even if you can get a good steak in there.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:19 PM

75 posts, read 51,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastclevelandguy View Post
Having a waitstaff really is not a detriment to the dining experience it adds to it. The theaters are big enough and the layout is completely different from an average theater. I was really hoping for the combined experience as well as the ability to reserve specific seats in theatre. But because that part is missing it is a really nice theater with nothing more than a glorified snack bar even if you can get a good steak in there.
You may be right that it would not be a detriment.
I edited my original post to add this bit below. So there is hope you still get what you want.

Looking at an article from earlier this year it looks like the plan is to start with the take in type dining and if that goes well move to an actual in theater dining experience. Clipped some of the story below from Augusta Chronicle, March, 20, 2015.

The 4,000-square-foot restaurant inside the theater will offer an American bistro menu and a full-service bar, similar to what one would see at an Applebee’s, said Georgia Theatre Co. President Bo Chambliss, who is currently working with the city to obtain an alcohol license for the establishment.
“There will be some TVs where you can watch a sporting event if there’s one on and you can either sit in the restaurant and have your dinner or alcoholic beverage, or you’ll be able to take it out in the auditoriums,” Chambliss said.

Chambliss said that if the theater’s restaurant is well received by patrons, the plan is to add in-auditorium dining and install a call button system that would allow moviegoers to place food and drink orders from their seats.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM

931 posts, read 1,078,951 times
There is always strings attached when it comes to Augusta. The fact of the matter is that Augusta has another theatre that was badly needed. Just Dont over sale it as something its not or never will be. Remember VAR?

Old 12-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,295,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
There is always strings attached when it comes to Augusta. The fact of the matter is that Augusta has another theater that was badly needed. Just Dont over sale it as something its not or never will be. Remember VAR?
I don't get the logic behind the comment... How does Augusta control the recession or plans from Carter? The Village at Riverwatch attracted the first Cabela's in the state and third in the southeast. The second or third Costco in the state only behind metro Atlanta(suburban Chattanooga)., Then finally, the movie theater is the first in Augusta to offer a bar and restaurant..

The building site plans might have changed over time, but not the overall intent behind the VAR.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Hardly anybody from Augusta is going to Columbia to shop at the malls. In the past, many people did travel to Columbia to shop frequently, but over the past few years Augusta has clearly surpassed it. The Cabelas, Apple, Whole Foods, Costco, Michael Kors, Gander Mountain, H&M, Aldi, Lidl, Earthfare, Carters-OshKosh, etc puts Augusta ahead of Columbia and on par with Greenville and Charleston..

The Village at Riverwatch with Cabelas, Costco, and the movie theater is already a destination. The Cabelas brings in people from over 200 miles away and the second one in Georgia was built all the way in Cobb County(metro Atlanta).

All three are new to the market which makes this a destination. Its going to become the number one shopping destination and surpass the Augusta Exchange and eventually the Augusta mall.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-22-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 11:33 PM

104 posts, read 69,230 times
Ya i did heard people do travel far a cabelas. Personally that store just isn,t for me. not saying it,s bad but not my type of store.And don't quote me on this but I supposely heard once we get all those people from cyber command in 2019. There gonna check back in to Augusta getting a lot mall.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:26 AM

567 posts, read 523,894 times
Things that locals travel to other than ATL....

Bass Pro Shop Savannah

Tanger Outlets Pooler

River Street Savannah

Williams Brice Stadium Columbia

Colonial Center Columbia

And yes Francis, people do travel to shop the malls in Columbia (do you have any 20 something friends?)

PS, Just so you know... there is a GTX theater complex in Brunswick that has been there for quite some time....

Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 AM

The sarcastic remarks don't bother me, because those people can't deny the facts... The same people will tell you the Augusta mall is not a destination either..

Mall Properties Search | GGP
http://www.ggp.com/properties/mall-directory

Trade area
Augusta mall/Augusta = 543,723

Columbiana/Columbia = 520,823

Shoppes at River Crossing/Macon = 430,271

Olgethrope/Savannah = 379,189

Peachtree/Columbus = 302,907

If the Augusta's mall trade area is much larger than the second tier cities and even larger than Columbiana with a larger metro.. I don't see how you can deny the Village at Riverwatch with it's niche busniesses is not a destination.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:18 AM

567 posts, read 523,894 times
Funny...

You picked only one of the 2 malls in Savannah... (lack of knowledge or just plain old deception?)

How about the Tanger Outlets in Pooler (don't forget Phase 2 is under construction)

You didn't mention to Ben Carter Broughton Street Projects either.... did you?

You also seemed to Cherry Pick on shopping in Columbia... but here let me help you.... Malls in Columbia SC | Columbia SC Shopping |

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-24-2015 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: off topic comment removed

Old 12-24-2015, 10:48 AM

Moderator cut: .
How is the Tanger Outlets and Broughton Street in Savannah or the college football stadium and arena in Columbia even related to the discussion? The original discussion centered around the Village at Riverwatch movie theater and then somebody claiming the Village at Riverwatch is not a destination.

The Oglethorpe mall is the nicer of the two malls in Savannah. The Savannah mall has stores like Burlington and Target.

The Columbiana Centre is probably the most popular mall/shopping center in Columbia maybe besides the Village at SandHills. The Augusta mall has a better selection than both so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 12-24-2015 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: off topic comment removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or