U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:47 AM

449 posts, read 336,684 times

Advertisements

Averaging fifteen to twenty dollars a month. No added or improved services come with it. Plus, even if you never watch sports you must pay a sports "surcharge". Guess that's not a rate increase.
A very basic plan of Internet, hd tv and basic cable was around $118.00 a month. Now that same plan is almost $134.00. Even after they eliminated BBC America and a few other favorites. Can they keep raising rates without adding channels, improving internet speed or eliminating down time? As Comcast's CEO said late last year "you can't keep raising rates forever". Something's gotta give.
Alternatives like Roku, Apple TV and others offer almost the same programs with the added benefits of no commercials for a lot less money.
This type of inflation is hurting everybody. True, you can cancel everything and save money but that sure makes for a dull life.
Maybe if our cable systems got rid of those oddball channels that almost nobody watches, we'd get more for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 952,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Maybe if our cable systems got rid of those oddball channels that almost nobody watches, we'd get more for less.
The problem there doesn't lie with the providers, but with the networks. Those oddball channels exist because the networks who own them bundle them with their bigger name channels and tell the providers they can't have (insert big name network here) unless they buy this bundle of channels. And the reason they do that is the advertising revenue they can get from those oddball channels. They can raise advertising rates when they can guarantee an ad will be on X million cable subscribers' packages, whether they'll watch it or not.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:57 AM

33 posts, read 23,544 times
You can get and watch anything at all with just an internet connection and a digital antennae. We haven't had cable in over 3 years, and I can find whatever I want on the internet.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angedelune View Post
You can get and watch anything at all with just an internet connection and a digital antennae. We haven't had cable in over 3 years, and I can find whatever I want on the internet.
Yes, but legally...?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:22 AM

75 posts, read 50,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Yes, but legally...?
Sure. Antenna for local channels. SlingTV for ESPN. Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime for other shows and movies.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
555 posts, read 964,707 times
With HBO and showtime to go( they have added no subscription pricing ) to your streaming devices, hulu, amazon prime, netflix and slew of all kinds of streaminghttps://channelstore.roku.com/browse...-tv/popularity channels

We get our smithsonian channel, national geo Tv, pbs, hbo, netflix, amazon prime, and antenna , and were covered to watch everything we've ever want to watch . We get 122 streaming channels for a tons less then cable.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinedou View Post
Sure. Antenna for local channels. SlingTV for ESPN. Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime for other shows and movies.
Just checking.

But...my issue with that, which continues to be why I haven't ditched cable, is that internet fast enough to stream HD video (and it still has to be Comcast in my case...ugh) still costs $60+ a month. Then add $20 for Sling, another $5 for the sports package, another $10 for Netflix, another $8-12 for Hulu Plus....then you're over $100/mo again for TV and internet before taxes and fees.

The only people I know who actually save a decent amount by cord cutting are the ones who stick with a slower internet package and deal with buffering and/or SD picture quality, AND they 'illegally' are using friends' or family members' logins for cable channels, Netflix or Hulu.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 2,559,029 times
Not true

But...my issue with that, which continues to be why I haven't ditched cable, is that internet fast enough to stream HD video (and it still has to be Comcast in my case...ugh) still costs $60+ a month. Then add $20 for Sling, another $5 for the sports package, another $10 for Netflix, another $8-12 for Hulu Plus....then you're over $100/mo again for TV and internet before taxes and fees

Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Not true

But...my issue with that, which continues to be why I haven't ditched cable, is that internet fast enough to stream HD video (and it still has to be Comcast in my case...ugh) still costs $60+ a month. Then add $20 for Sling, another $5 for the sports package, another $10 for Netflix, another $8-12 for Hulu Plus....then you're over $100/mo again for TV and internet before taxes and fees
Lol... So you're telling me the hard numbers I gave you from my personal experience and research aren't true? And you have nothing else to back it up? Ok.

Everything I stated is an absolute fact. Performance Internet with Comcast (25 Mbps) is $66.95 per month. Performance Starter (10Mbps, and not enough to stream HD video without lots of buffering) is $49.95 per month. Even with the slower internet speed you're still at a minimum of $93 a month before taxes and fees. So tell me again how that is "not true"?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 AM
PJA

2,383 posts, read 2,468,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Lol... So you're telling me the hard numbers I gave you from my personal experience and research aren't true? And you have nothing else to back it up? Ok.

Everything I stated is an absolute fact. Performance Internet with Comcast (25 Mbps) is $66.95 per month. Performance Starter (10Mbps, and not enough to stream HD video without lots of buffering) is $49.95 per month. Even with the slower internet speed you're still at a minimum of $93 a month before taxes and fees. So tell me again how that is "not true"?
Not to mention that Comcast charges you if you go over on your data.....I haven't found a viable alternative to cable yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area