U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 58,633 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating sometime this summer. I would appreciate any thoughts on on how well our family would fit into the Evans community. We have five children who range from high school age to elementary school age. Safety, good schools and house big enough to accomodate all of us a essential. I generally don't worry about being a same sex family but I am a little concerned because Augusta didn't get great reviews about accepting same sex couples. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 05:05 PM

192 posts, read 106,899 times
I'm a young gay guy who lives in the area... I would say I'm pretty easily pegged... and I've never had trouble with anything. I know being a family is a totally different thing, but as a generalization I would say that you shouldn't be concerned. However, while most people who disagree with your "lifestyle" may not say anything to you, some will surely talk about you as soon as your back is turned so just be prepared for that.

And yes, I would say that same-sex families are rare here, but your kids shouldn't have trouble making friends or anything of the sort since most younger people (yes, even here) are very open minded about the subject. You're probably going to get some questions and maybe a few "I'll be praying for you"'s. Augusta isn't the backcountry / a small hick town so I don't foresee anyone doing anything that would be outright malicious.

This is just my take though and I feel fortunate that I've never had to deal with any negative circumstances because of my orientation, but it's very possible someone else has had very different experiences.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,285 posts, read 12,334,764 times
West Augusta, North Richmond, or Martinez are better choices. Evans is very conservative.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:54 PM

192 posts, read 106,899 times
No, I'm really not trying to disagree with you just for the sake of it. I'm just trying to give my experience on the subject having dealt with it first hand, which is that all areas of Augusta seem to be the same. If anything those who live on the Hill in Richmond tend to be the most standoffish... I don't necessarily know why. I just think those families take traditions very seriously. Evans, I guess, is the most conservative politically maybe, but I don't think that translates into everyday social situations. But overall, Augusta is a friendly place no matter where you are.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 58,633 times
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 PM

33 posts, read 23,679 times
MOST people in the CSRA are very respectful and welcoming. Some may not particularly agree, but the area in general is pretty low-key. No one is going to protest outside your house. Downtown is filled with Hipsters, and tons of Lesbians. My boyfriend and I regularly kiss and hold hands, never had a problem anywhere.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,680 times
As long as your kids behave :-)

Old 01-25-2016, 01:01 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
555 posts, read 969,458 times
I live in evans and I'd happily have your family as my neighbor's.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:36 AM

220 posts, read 152,250 times
I have found most people in the area tend to mind their business. I dont think you would have an issue. Evans is a great area for anyone to live and the Columbia County school system as a whole is the best in the area in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or