Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,698 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was offered a job at Augusta University and I am trying to make a decision whether to go or not. A little but about me i that I am a 23 year old, single female. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the town and area are for a young female? I would not know anyone and I would be living on my own with my dog. If you could also suggest/ tell me about housing areas around Augusta (i.e. Grovetown, Martinez, Evans) I would greatly appreciate it! I would prefer not living around a whole bunch of families, or retired couples. I am trying to get a grasp on safety, enjoyment of the area, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,131,581 times
First off I would like to say congratulations on your job offer from AU. Since you said you didn't want to live around a lot of families I would recommend the Downtown/Medical District area of Augusta. Areas like Evans, Martinez and Grovetown are geared more toward families. The Downtown/Medical District area is probably one of the safest areas in the city. It has a decent amount of housing, restaurants and bars. You also have the riverwalk and canal trail which is popular for people who like to work out. Downtown Augusta definitely has a hispter vibe which is really nice for young professionals. Here are some links I think you might find helpful.
Canalside - My Niche Apartments

Downtown Augusta Apartments & Lofts | Rex Property & Land, LLC

JB Whites Building | JB Whites Building

Residential Lofts Augusta Georgia Studio Apartment - Enterprise Mill

Augusta Event Calendar

Augusta Canal - Home

I would also check out some of the apartments in West Augusta. Many of them are pet friendly. Also quite a few new apartment complexes have been built in West Augusta because of the influx of workers working at Ft. Gordon, AU and Plant Votgle.
Here's some links to West Augusta complexes.
http://www.thegatewaycrossing.com/

http://www.grandoaksatcranecreek.com...eek-augusta-ga

http://www.estatesatperimeter.com/

Last edited by Airforceguy; 03-06-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 08:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,403,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirlnga View Post
Hi! I was offered a job at Augusta University and I am trying to make a decision whether to go or not. A little but about me i that I am a 23 year old, single female. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how the town and area are for a young female? I would not know anyone and I would be living on my own with my dog. If you could also suggest/ tell me about housing areas around Augusta (i.e. Grovetown, Martinez, Evans) I would greatly appreciate it! I would prefer not living around a whole bunch of families, or retired couples. I am trying to get a grasp on safety, enjoyment of the area, etc.

Thanks so much!
Just curious, is the job directly for AU or is it for a company that is located there and contracted by them? I worked directly for the hospital when I was hired, but now work for a company that's contracted by the hospital. There's a big difference in working directly for them and working for a contractor, at least when it comes to AU Health. The university side of AU doesn't typically do the same sort of contract thing I mentioned.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM

33 posts, read 103,874 times
I wouldn't want to live here as a young single. No night life, not a lot going on in general. We're a family with young kids and our biggest peeve is that even when we can get a date night theres nothing to do. Come visit, stay for a week and then decide. Sorry just being honest, for the future though its a great place to raise kids.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:08 AM

36 posts, read 39,476 times
Moved here as a young single 10+ years ago. Live here still as a married father of 2. To counter the last post, there is a lot going on. For housing, I would recommend looking in areas close to campus (West Augusta, Summerville, Downtown). Most of the activity for young professionals is happening in these areas. Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,698 times
Thank you for your thoughts, I have been down there twice to visit. I don't mind there not being a night life. From everything I have found there are a lot of outdoors activities around that are much better suited to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area