Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
According to stats they are actually growing faster and they are already larger.
They are definitely larger, but they are not growing faster except for Columbia.. Augusta is similar to Raleigh were it's going to sneak up on people. Not an overwhelmingly exciting city, but the industry is bringing newcomers here for the jobs. Due to the cyber industry over the next few years. Augusta can easily grow percentage wise up their with Charleston or Savannah.

2010 census vs 2015 estimate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Percentage
Columbia 5.53%
Augusta 4.47%
Greensboro 3.92%
Knoxville 2.85%

Raw numbers
Columbia 42,470
Greensb6oro 28,35
Augusta 25,273
Knoxville 23,853
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:32 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
They are definitely larger, but they are not growing faster except for Columbia.. Augusta is similar to Raleigh were it's going to sneak up on people. Not an overwhelmingly exciting city, but the industry is bringing newcomers here for the jobs. Due to the cyber industry over the next few years. Augusta can easily grow percentage wise up their with Charleston or Savannah.

2010 census vs 2015 estimate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Percentage
Columbia 5.53%
Augusta 4.47%
Greensboro 3.92%
Knoxville 2.85%

Raw numbers
Columbia 42,470
Greensb6oro 28,35
Augusta 25,273
Knoxville 23,853
Not according to census.gov which is much more accurate than wiki.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I love your optimism but I think Charlotte's level is a bit out of the way for us. I can see the area being on a similar level as the Raleigh MSA of about 1.2 million in 10 to 15 years with a similar economic make up if compound growth continues as the Cyber Security industry becomes more diverse.
Augusta's metro isn't doubling in size in 10-15 years...not even close. That hasn't even happened to Austin, which is growing at a dizzying pace. Furthermore, that would be a nightmare from a planning and infrastructure standpoint; that much growth in such a short window of time is more of a liability than an asset.

Quote:
Not according to census.gov which is much more accurate than wiki.
The numbers on Wikipedia come from the Census. He's correct in that metro Augusta is growing faster than Greensboro and Knoxville, but not Columbia.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Augusta's metro isn't doubling in size in 10-15 years...not even close. That hasn't even happened to Austin, which is growing at a dizzying pace. Furthermore, that would be a nightmare from a planning and infrastructure standpoint; that much growth in such a short window of time is more of a liability than an asset.

The numbers on Wikipedia come from the Census. He's correct in that metro Augusta is growing faster than Greensboro and Knoxville, but not Columbia.
Okay. I didn't have a chance that check. But either way I don't see it passing those skylines.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Okay. I didn't have a chance that check. But either way I don't see it passing those skylines.
Not Columbia or Knoxville. Greensboro is doable as its skyline isn't much bigger/taller than Augusta's anyway.

Augusta

Greensboro

Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:

I should have reworded my post. I'm not expecting it to be that big however the same growth Raleigh experienced when the Research Triangle first exploded, maybe not to the same degree but the effects it had on Raleigh could be similar to Cyber Security and Augusta if the industry is maximized to its fully potential.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM

180 posts, read 158,903 times
Quote:
Not Columbia or Knoxville. Greensboro is doable as its skyline isn't much bigger/taller than Augusta's anyway.

Augusta

Greensboro

Our former Wells Fargo building is Hooooorrrriiiibbbblllee! Talk about needing an extreme make over!! Greenville is definately "doable" however, I think that definitely location is a major factor. Can't have new buildings going up miles away from each other. It would dense up the skyline a little, but do nothing for the "urban" feel. Augusta has the second largest skyline in Georgia, but other second teir cities, namely Savannah feel more urban due to the proximity to one another. Just a personal thought.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I should have reworded my post. I'm not expecting it to be that big however the same growth Raleigh experienced when the Research Triangle first exploded, maybe not to the same degree but the effects it had on Raleigh could be similar to Cyber Security and Augusta if the industry is maximized to its fully potential.
Possibly, but it must be remembered that Raleigh is also a state capital and has two of the best universities in the country in the area as well as a slew of other solid colleges and universities (NC State, NC Central, etc.).

Although a smaller metro area, I think Augusta's growth trajectory--and possibly its performance as a metro--will wind up looking more like Huntsville's than Raleigh's. And that's not a knock on Augusta; it's actually a good thing. Although Huntsville's metro has about 150K less people than Augusta's, it has a larger GDP and higher income and educational attainment levels. A move in that direction, even without breakneck growth, would be a very, very good thing.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
Our former Wells Fargo building is Hooooorrrriiiibbbblllee! Talk about needing an extreme make over!! Greenville is definately "doable" however, I think that definitely location is a major factor. Can't have new buildings going up miles away from each other. It would dense up the skyline a little, but do nothing for the "urban" feel. Augusta has the second largest skyline in Georgia, but other second teir cities, namely Savannah feel more urban due to the proximity to one another. Just a personal thought.
Did you mean Greensboro? The pictures featured were downtown Augusta and Greensboro. Either way Augusta could surpass both Greensboro and Greenville...

The projects in downtown Augusta listed in the OP are 1 mile apart.

The GGHF, train depot site, and Fairfield Inn by Marriott are on Reynolds street and separated by less than 1 mile.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
Augusta has the second largest skyline in Georgia, but other second teir cities, namely Savannah feel more urban due to the proximity to one another. Just a personal thought.
Savannah is more urban but it has nothing to do with highrises and how close they are to each other since Savannah doesn't have many of those. It's more urban because it has a high density of human-scaled buildings which properly address the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area